Losing weight & diabetes

Options
Goul22
Goul22 Posts: 34 Member
Hi!

Anybody else out there who has to lose weight and is also diabetic? I'm Type 2, on oral medication. Dosage has been decreased so that's good. What I find difficult is making sure I eat all the good things to keep healthy, avoid either going too high (with fruits, which I love) or too low (happens in the afternoon usually), and not going over my daily calorie goal. Anybody out there who hates diabetes as much as I do??! Argh!!!!!

Replies

• Goul22
    Options
    Hi there! How's the journey going for you? What's your biggest problem so far? Or perhaps it's going well and you have good tips or words of wisdom? :)
  • Goul22
    Options
    Sometimes I feel I am fighting two "wars" at the same time. It gets tiring! Ever feel like that? I'm due for yet another A1C test and I'm scared. Last year my A1C went from 9 to 6. I was SO happy but I did work hard for it. My numbers have started to creep up though. I stopped going to the gym. Fasting sugars are my problem area. Hard to be under 5 mmol/L let me tell you...! When I diet, I feel low in the afternoon. Went hypo quite a few times. I get pounding headaches too from those lows. My pancreas is a moron...!! I tried the low carb diet two years ago and blood sugars were fantastic. It screwed up my cholesterol though and big time. Been on Crestor ever since. And also... we'll pardon my French but... I was constipated as heck. I have a love/hate relationship with carbs : I love them and they hate me. Thank you for your replies. At least I don't feel utterly alone in this battle.
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for food ideas, check out the DASH diet. It's worth a few minutes of research, and it might be just what you're looking for. I don't think it shows the GI of the food though.
  • Goul22
    Options
    Thank you Rick. Will,check it out.
  • BlueBeret8792
    BlueBeret8792 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am type. 2 and need to loose weight was doing really goid then in August a surgeon screwed up and paralyzed me from T6 down and now I'm in a wheelchair, insulin dependent and up 24 pounds!!!!! SO NOT HAPPY!!!!!
    before August my A1C was 6.4 and a 150bs avg, then the shock of what happened combined with the steroids to reduce the swelling in my spinal cord in jacked me to 450bs and a 8.2 A1C.
    I've got some movement back but still no feeling, so I go to the pool when not in horrible pain.
    that's me in a nut shell.
  • Goul22
    Options
    Terrible what happened to you! Losing weight is hard enough, especially when diabetes has been thrown in the mix, so I can't even imagine when you're dealing with pain on a daily basis on top of that. An uphill battle indeed! Diabetes is stupid really... You can run high when sick, tired, injured or like you, dealing with chronic pain, however hard you exercise and/or diet. In the end, you put on weight. Wonderful. I gather steroids increase blood sugars too. Sometimes quite a lot. Diabetes gets in the way of everything it seems! I just hate it with a passion...

I was told an A1C must be under 6 to avoid complications. After losing 40 pounds last year, eating like a (tiny!!!) bird, and exercising like a nut case, the best I could do was 6. I was happy but apparently it still wasn't good enough... And was told I needed to work harder at it. Pardon??! Maybe I should just quit eating??? Geez. Well that's yet another "joy" of diabetes because when I skip a meal, my sugars go up the curtains. I might lose weight faster but it will screw up my A1C. This is why diabetes is not just about food. It's more complicated than that. Ugh.

I got really depressed and gave up the gym. Numbers on the scale crept up. I need to lose 20 pounds. They say diabetes causes depression. I say no it doesn't. It's *dealing* with this stupid disease that is depressing. But one can't quit. I like your shirt by the way!! Great attitude.

The very best to you!
  • Goul22
    Options
    I was simply over the moon...!! Can you imagine? *S*I*X* !!!! They really burst my bubble when I was told it still wasn't good enough. I could do better. There were days I'd go to bed hungry. I mean REALLY hungry. That's why I'm so scared to go for yet another A1C. My numbers have crept up. Stupid perhaps but I feel like a failure. I have the req for blood work but I'm road blocked. I can't go. I know I should. I'll have to because it's time to review my meds anyway. My prescriptions will all run out very soon. Same with weight. Couldn't go lower than 147. Tried!!! I was told I shouldn't be over 140. It really discouraged me... So I kind of let everything slide. I'm determined to get back on track...
  • Goul22
    Options
    What can I say? Thank you!

I just wish doctors and healthcare people in general would be more supportive. Of course a person can strive for even better results... I have this fantasy that one day I'll have an A1C of 5 and no I'm not on drugs :) - But once in a while, the simple recognition you've come a long way and ARE working hard would be appreciated, you know what I mean? I might never score under 6. I might never weigh 140 lbs. It might be impossible in my case, who knows? Everybody needs a pat on the back once in a while. Or a gold sticker!! :) And then you work at it some more...