Water based low cal veggies

Options
laur4795
laur4795 Posts: 9 Member
Do you guys log water based low cal veggies ( lettuce , bell peppers , cucumbers ) was curious because I feel like those wouldn't make much difference but was wondering your opinions

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Yes, unless it's some very tiny amount like lettuce on a sandwich. If it has calories and you eat enough of it, they count. I have pretty big salads and with just veggies before any dressing or additions, can come to over 100 calories, so I do count everything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If I was just having a bite? No...for a full on meal, of course. One of my favorite sides is two red bell peppers sliced up and sautéed with red onion. The veggies themselves come out to around 70 calories or so...why wouldn't I log that?

Your body logs all calories, regardless of source. That said, I was never as religious about my veggies as I was other things...but yeah...I'd log something if you're logging.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log everything. I think Weight watchers gives you veggies for free, but vegetables do have calories so I log them. I might occasionally do like MommyL2015 and not log a leaf of iceberg lettuce on a sandwich, but if it is a salad or a side dish then I log it.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Yes, loosely. I used to weigh out my mini bell peppers to 120g, but now I eyeball them. I do NOT eyeball ice cream, cake, steak...
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    laur4795 wrote: »
    Do you guys log water based low cal veggies ( lettuce , bell peppers , cucumbers ) was curious because I feel like those wouldn't make much difference but was wondering your opinions

Good question. I look at the label on the spring mix salad and it says 10 calories 56 grams. I weighed 56 grams and it took a huge amount, more than a typical plate that I usually have. From then on, I just ignore such ...veggies.

All the weighing can be pretty annoying and sometimes tedious. To resolve this I just became generous with myself -- eat 100 cal under when there are too many veggies involved. :) Work perfectly.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Of course I log them. They have calories. This is a calorie counting site. If it works for you not to then don't, but for me I like to have an accurate log.
  • lutterback38
    lutterback38 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    laur4795 wrote: »

I bought a simple kitchen scale and identified those veggies really don't make or me break in terms of calories so I don't record unless its a large portion, i.e. I'll record a pepper if I eat a stuffed pepper as part of the overall recipe. But small amounts of a bell pepper can get you 100% of your vitamin C so I may record that for nutrition tracking. It's just takes time to see what veggies will impact the nutrition panel. Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh/log them. For one, a eat a bunch of them. For two, I like having data that's as accurate as possible.

Now, heading into maintenance, I feel quite confident in using my own calorie consumption & weight loss data to estimate my maintenance calories (rather than relying on a generic a calculator) .

Having accurate data helped with estimates during weight loss, too, in several scenarios: (1) to systematically reduce my loss rate as I got closer to goal; (2) to estimate the delay (or gain) impact of over-goal days; and to have a good understanding of how much my body-weight fluctuations were from food vs. water weight.

Furthermore, while the MFP data base can be incomplete in this regard, logging my veggies also gives me a better record of my macronutrients & micronutrients, for health-improvement purposes.

But not everyone cares about these things . . . I do.