Breastfeeding

Options
Hi there!!
So I'm a new mom. Trying to get back to healthy after the birth of my son a week ago.
How many calories should I be adding to my intake for breastfeeding/pumping?

Replies

• Anneysmith
    Anneysmith Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was told about 500 calories. You can find an entry for breastfeeding if you search for it under foods. It registers -500 calories. From my experience, try not to lose too much weight while breastfeeding. It can reduce your milk supply.
  • danie_canuck
    danie_canuck Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What Anney said. You burn an extra 500 (burn/need same thing). But this is full time breastfeeding. As your little minion grow older and nurses less you will need to slowly decrease the calories. I believe 500 is based on 12 feedings a day.

Funnily enough you need to actually eat more when you are breastfeeding than when you are actually pregnant. When pregnant you only need to increase your calories by like 200-300 calories.
  • jpulisciano
    jpulisciano Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok great! Thanks ladies!!
  • _MissBrie
    _MissBrie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had no idea you could add breastfeeding!! Great information! I was wondering how to account for those calories!
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    The app says 500, although when I am breastfeeding (currently now) I have so much trouble dropping weight so I usually half that amount.