can I have some advice please?

Options
Ok so I am relatively new to the whole conscious eating thing but ive been looking into doing the power90 and p90x which mentions protein shakes and also multivits.

Well i'm wondering if i need to have a protein shake? and what i should be looking for when buying some (as i will have to settle for a cheap version) - also which multivitamins i should be looking at getting?

i looked back on my diet and i noticed that my protein intake varies quite a lot between 10g and 84g.

I'm trying to loose weight (i've about 40lbs to go) but also build muscle and tone up too, I've just finished the 30 day shred and as i said previously i'm looking at the next workout routine - i dont have a gym or workout classes so must be done at home.

I'm also looking at starting running soon too.

in addition to the above when should i be taking in the extra protein? after workouts? before? i'm sure i'll find the answer to this question on google but i thought as i'm here if you know can you advise?

thanks in advance lovely MFP'ers :)

Replies

• nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    as for protein shakes and things like that i cant help there sorry but i take supplements from GNC. My trainer recomended the Womens Active pack. It has like 7 differnt things in there. There are 2 multis in there a calcium, 2 energy pills, a CLA pill, and i cant think what the other one is... you can look it up on GNC.com. Thats just what im taking personally
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after I workout - especially if I do any sort of strength training. I don't tend to eat anything before I workout (basically because I feel like I will be sick if I do). I've heard - though there is conflicting info out there - that 20-30g of protein within 30 mins of your workout is the best amount and time for it.

Sorry, I can't help on the vitamin side of things - I am allergic to all processed vitamins. Weird, I know. lol
  • pika8202
    pika8202 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    To build muscle you would be aiming at a protein intake of around 0.5-1g per pound of weight. Protein shakes are a good way to increase if your diet is not providing adequate protein intake - BUT read the label! Watch the carbs, sugar and fats. Some of these things really are just candy in a cup. - Whey powder is a cheap alternative to commercial shakes and you can flavour it with stevia and a little cocoa if you like.

As for Multivitamins just a general one should be fine, unless you are deficient in anything in particular.

If you are undertaking strenous or weight lifting exercise make sure to have a source of protein immediately (I.e within 30 - 60 mins after exercise) this is when your metabolic rate will be at its highest and your muscle will be 'thirsty' for protein.

Grab yourself some hand weights, some great music and google various exercise.

Watch your Carb sources, increase your protein and make sure your are exerting yourself, prgressivel yincrease your weight, your intensity, your reps or your exercises change it up and your body will respond.

As for running, I find I get a little bored of pounding the pavement, so what i do is I include, stair running, throw in some push ups/sit ups/star jumps/squat jumps just to mix it up a bit.

Good luck
  • Ley2ndtry
    Ley2ndtry Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks everyone!