Gaining Weight

Options
Hi, I am in need of some advice. I started the low carb diet on Monday hard core, wanting to go into Ketosis. I am following the it to the T. I try not get on my scale, but seems I am OCD with that and I am trying to just weigh myself once a week starting today. My problem is I started at 139lbs, I get B-12 and lipo injections once a week and I work out cardio 5 times a week with interval for 30 min. I am restricted to working out due to neck sx last year. I am limited to cardio and squats, ect....., but I am committed. Instead of losing weight I am so gaining it, I went from 139 to 142 in a matter of 3 days. I am so upset about it. I stay under 19 net carbs daily. Help, what am I doing wrong, my clothes not getting any loser but tighter. Any advice so much appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Three pounds in three days is a normal fluctuation. Weight loss is not linear. Give it more time.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight eating low carb. Are you tracking your calories?
  • jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Agreed /\. And just because its low carb doesn't mean it is good. Watch out for a lot of sugars in 'low-carb' meals.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Is it around your TOM? Have you increased or changed the exercise...

The low carb thing actually should make you start shedding water weight in the first week and then you should reach keto within a week or two.

Have you eaten a lot of food laden in sodium, etc.. I predict you need to give this a week or so, you have changed your diet to low carb, give your body time to adjust.

• danna71
    danna71 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am tracking everything, my low carb meals are all fresh, I eat lots of fresh veggies, celery, cucumbers as a snack. I for sure try and keep my sodium down, however sometimes I am not sucessful, but very mindful of it. Yes Roxie its mostly in my belly area, I just started back exercising after taking almost year off due to neck sx. I have only started back gym today marks one week, but I am only aloud to do cardio and I do leg lifts to try and flatten my abs, not aloud to do any kind of crunches at this time. I sit all day at work on computer, so only exercise I get is from interval training. I walk 5 mins and sprint as fast as I can 30 sec and walk 4 min and repeat 2-3 times and last 10 min of treadmill I walk with incline at 5. I am trying and I know I am new at this and I get so discouraged way to easy. I weigh 142 and 3 years ago I was 115 and have always been tiny up until all the meds I was put on for neck, which no longer taking. I seem to retain water so easily and not sure why. I am going to be patient, I have ketosis sticks now, so I can see when I am in Ketosis.
  • danna71
    Options
    I am tracking my calories and I don't eat no where near my daily goal which MFP says 1200, no matter how hard I try I can't do it, like today I ate about 1000 calories, I get full to fast. I almost feel like it takes forever for my food to digest.
  • Kittyhawk505
    Kittyhawk505 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If, after another week or so of strict adherence to your diet, you continue to gain (unless you are on medication that can cause weight gain) I would have some bloodwork done, including thyroid and insulin, and whatever else your doctor thinks necessary.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,010 Member
    Options
    danna71 wrote: »
    Hi, I am in need of some advice. I started the low carb diet on Monday hard core, wanting to go into Ketosis. I am following the it to the T. I try not get on my scale, but seems I am OCD with that and I am trying to just weigh myself once a week starting today. My problem is I started at 139lbs, I get B-12 and lipo injections once a week and I work out cardio 5 times a week with interval for 30 min. I am restricted to working out due to neck sx last year. I am limited to cardio and squats, ect....., but I am committed. Instead of losing weight I am so gaining it, I went from 139 to 142 in a matter of 3 days. I am so upset about it. I stay under 19 net carbs daily. Help, what am I doing wrong, my clothes not getting any loser but tighter. Any advice so much appreciated. Thank you!

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM.

You can also gain water weight when you start a new exercise regimen. It comes off in a few weeks.
  • danna71
    Options
    I don't have a cycle anymore, hyst. at 26, 44 now, but just had hormones checked and they are good. Only meds I am on is Ambien. Thinking thyroid test might be good. Actually just in my second week of working out have not been able to for a year and still restricted due to failing neck fusion, so cardio is my work out right now. I so appreciate all the advice thank you.
  • bewickfree
    bewickfree Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    danna71 wrote: »
    I am tracking my calories and I don't eat no where near my daily goal which MFP says 1200, no matter how hard I try I can't do it, like today I ate about 1000 calories, I get full to fast. I almost feel like it takes forever for my food to digest.

Oh, wow. 1200 is bare minimum! That, combined with so much exercise, is a recipe for disaster. Try small, frequent meals.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options