Help~ I need some recipes that husband will eat...wiht no ve

Options
:noway:

My husband and I have been doing the p-90 ( more basic than the p-90x) program and I find it very challanging to make dinners for him....He does not like veggies. The only ones that he will eat are cukes, lettuce, and tomatoes....Any ideas on what to feed the guy?

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    what are cukes?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    How about chicken fajitas? You can stuff them with the salad he likes.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    what are cukes?

Cucumbers, maybe
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    My husband HATES healthy food of all sorts, but will devour the Shrimp and Grits recipe from hungrygirl.com. Also, try roasting or grilling some other veggies for your husband--asparagus, zucchini, sweet potato, beets, cabbage wedges...anything you can think of. Roasting brings out a wonderful, sweet flavor that a lot of veggie haters can learn to like! Eatingwell.com also has a lot of tasty stuff.
  • nellydean
    nellydean Posts: 1
    Options
    Does you husband watch you cook.....? My husband used to say he didnt like veg, I just chop everything up really small and hide it in just about everything I cook for him!!!! What they dont know won't hurt them.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    what are cukes?

Cucumbers, maybe

cucumbers and tomatoes are fruit :laugh: :devil:
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    mince veggies and put it in meatloaf, spaghetti, lasagna, pot pie, etc..... Also cover it with a slice of cheese. My husband scoffs at broccoli, but will eat broccoli and cheese. I give my son v8 fusion that has a serving of fruits and veggies in every serving. It is yummy too! And, I know this probably isn't what you wanna hear, but what veggies my husband WILL eat, I cook those a lot just so he gets some nutrients from them. Good luck :D And congrats on committing to get healthy
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    How about a stir fry? You can mix the veggies and meat with some brown rice if necessary and it'll make it *easier* for him to eat them. Or maybe a stew / casserole?
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    oh and I was gonna say, the ones that are good minced and added are: bell peppers, squash (zucchini, yellow, etc), onion, celery, spinach, kale, broccoli.
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    Look into The Sneaky Chef cookbooks. My autistic son will not willingly eat veggies, so I use the tips/hints in the books to get them into him. His doctor has told me that if I can get him to eat one bright orange veggie (sweetpotatoes/yams, carrots, pumpkin, squash, etc.) and one dark green leafy veggie (spinach, kale, collard greens, etc) that would give him enough varied and rich nutrients.

I also make pumpkin breads, sweet potato bread, and spinach brownies (a recipe from this book!)
  • tuskegee4
    tuskegee4 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Try eatingwell.com, put in his favorite foods and they will give you recipes.
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    Does you husband watch you cook.....? My husband used to say he didnt like veg, I just chop everything up really small and hide it in just about everything I cook for him!!!! What they dont know won't hurt them.

This is EXACTLY what I do! lol Made a casserole with tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, and green peppers and my hubby only thought there were green peppers in it. Told him afterward and he couldnt believe it. :bigsmile:
  • dyonner
    dyonner Posts: 3
    Options
    I alos have an anti vegie family. I bought the already sliced pack of veggies (squash, zuccunni, 3 types of bellpeppers etc) in the fresh food area and chopped them up and put them in spaghetti sauce or just about anything I cook and they couldn't tell a bit. My motto is "don't watch the chef" sneak it in where u can!
  • shortee75
    shortee75 Posts: 164
    Options
    hee hee - I love the idea of chopping it up small and hiding it in the food as it's cooked. Unfortunately, I am not a huge veggie eater either so not sure this would work at my house since I'm the cook...LOL

We basically eat fresh or frozen broccoli, canned green beans, canned or frozen corn, canned lima beans and I eat squash as well.

However, I may have to try this hiding some things so my husband won't know because I'm a little more adventurous than he is - i recently tried zuchini, but don't think I fully cooked it so wasn't that good.
  • TammyK1000
    TammyK1000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl does great meals for the guys! My husband loves the Lasagna cupcakes! Also, try roasting different veggies with olive oil spray and salt and pepper. Roasting gives veggies really great flavor!
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    I agree with the hiding. You can finely chop carrot, onion and mushroom and make bolegnese or similar with 50:50 meat to veg mix and you won't even notice the veg.
  • ValerieSW
    ValerieSW Posts: 32
    Options
    I agree with the hiding. You can finely chop carrot, onion and mushroom and make bolegnese or similar with 50:50 meat to veg mix and you won't even notice the veg.

This is totally true. I am a supertaster and I hate most veg because they taste bitter to me. CraigIW and I are married and he likes a lot of veg that I don't like so we make recipes where the veg can be 'hidden'. I know it's there, but I can't taste it so it's ok with me! The exception to this is peppers, I don't like peppers in any form.
  • KelBel21060
    Options
    THANK YOU...THANK YOU....to all of your great ideas! I love the question.....Does your husband watch you cook?" I did get a chuckle out of that. No, he does not....I can't wait to sneak in those veggies!

I just heard of a wonderful cookbook that shows many ideas to hide veggies in foods....
    Its actaully wriiten buy Jerry Seinfeld's wife! aww...love that show!

Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food [Hardcover-spiral]
    Jessica Seinfeld (Author)
    Visit Amazon's Jessica Seinfeld Page:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Thank you all again for your ideas......