What should I do at the gym? Help!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• laketa8482
    laketa8482 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Before this thread gets out of control, just start with the basics. Eat a reasonable amount of cals and get some exericse. Be as consistent as you can with your eating, your exercising, and your logging. Be patient.

See how things go, then make small changes here and there until you find something you can stick with.

Exactly will do thank you so much. This is really helpful
  • ChrisUK70
    ChrisUK70 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/training.html there are loads of programs for men and women and it is not about just body building. There are weight loss programs and they are free, with videos and guides.

• ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can't spot reduce any one particular area. Weight will fall off the way it wants to. The other thing is I can tell you do 15 minutes on the stairmaster, 15 mins of the elliptical, 15 mins on the treadmill and 15 mins of weights but if you hate all of those things then it won't work for you. Try the equipment out. Use some of them more than once, play with the settings and find what you like or you won't want to do it.

I agree. I tried the elliptical and hated it. I tried treadmill and exercise bike and love both. I then tried a lot of weight lifting machines and love them. So now I try to work out 1 hour a day/.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    What are you're goals aside from being "fit"? It's a very broad term.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great for fitness but unless you're doing it a really long time just that will not burn that weight off quite the same(I know I was doing 3 hours to make a big dent and I go fast walk on high incline increased over time). I'd suggest at least 30minute-1 hour on cardio, 2 sets of 15 on as many types of weight machines at weights you can handle comfortably. Do some base core exercises and between those three you should feel pretty good. Actually anything adds up musclework just tends to aim at your muscles sucking it fat at the same time.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Bryo4 wrote: »
    Normally, gyms will offer at least one session with a staff member to help you understand how the equipment works, etc., and in my experience will help you put together a basic routine based on your goals. I'd check that out first. Good luck!

Yeah I'd listen to this guy.
  • jenring3
    jenring3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    laketa8482 wrote: »
    lilRicki wrote: »
    I love New Rules of Lifting for Women, it's a progressive weight lifting program. If you don't know what the exercise is, just youtube it. I print off pictures of the exercise just in case I forget. Also there's great beginner programs at bodybuilding.com or on pinterest. Going to the gym without a plan of action can be intimidating. Start slow and work your way up and pretty soon you'll be rocking it! Good luck :)

Thanks I'm going to look that up now.

Agreeing with the new rules recommendation. It's where I started. But if you have access to a trainer I'd highly suggest at least one session to help with form.
  • laketa8482
    laketa8482 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    What are you're goals aside from being "fit"? It's a very broad term.
    I would like to lose about 50 lbs. shrinking my midsection toning my arms thighs legs and butt.
  • kingkam21
    kingkam21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    laketa8482 wrote: »
    I just decided that I want to be serious about getting fit. I have a membership but I get really intimidated by all of the equipment. Can anyone help me with some tips on what to do at the gym that will be affective with losing weight. I do know that I can not just focus on one area however my mid section and inner thigh is my problem areas. Please help. I'm open for any and all suggestions.

If you want to lose weight than watch your diet. Get a food scale and count them calories no matter how annoying it is. Do cardio to help lose body fat and lift a few weights to form your body more. Squats will workout many muscle groups, from your back all the way down to your calves.
    You can not target a specific area to lose fat. You lose fat in a canabolic state.
    You can gain muscle in the areas that you would like to slim down, to create a larger surface area for fat to expand across, which can create the illusion of less fat in that area.