Craving Salt??

Options
Hi All

I'm seeing on some threads that sodium intake needs to be monitored as much as anything else..

My problem is I crave salt.. I absolutely crave it. I would have no problem giving up chocolate - but I have a huge problem giving up crisps etc.. And I know its not the crisps - its the salt I crave..

My diet isn't brill, but I eat veg, fruit, meat. Have a McD's once a week - on a Friday. But I have cut out potatoes as I cannot eat them without a tonne of salt on them..

I drink large quantities of tea (probably 10 to 12 cups a day). Tea with a tiny drop of skim milk. Sometimes I'd swap a tea for a coffee - but mainly tea. I drink very little water..

Anyone know why you'd crave salt?? Would my tea drinking be causing me to crave salt? Can't see how swapping tea for water would help??

Replies

• cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I've heard that if you don't have heart disease or really high blood pressure, and you drink plenty of water, salt isn't that big of a deal.
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I've heard that if you don't have heart disease or really high blood pressure, and you drink plenty of water, salt isn't that big of a deal.

Not so bad.. No heart disease or high blood pressure here at all..

I just wonder why when other people crave chocolate, I crave salt? Everyones different I suppose!!
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have heard if you crave salt it means you need water ironically!

Have a read of this: http://www.3fatchicks.com/what-causes-salt-cravings/ :smile:
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    The reason you are craving salt could be related to your adrenal glands. When your adrenals are severally taxed you will crave salt. My suggestion is to go see you family physician and get a complete blood work up to make sure everything is good. The other reason is if you are trying to cut down on salt you will also crave it. Hope this helps.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body! If you crave salt, it's probably because you need it.

You drink a lot of liquids, and that could mean you're losing sodium, and your body is asking for more. At least, that's how I understand it. Maybe someone else can give you a better idea.

Good luck!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    my dad is the same. hes heathly but coats his food in salt and he craves red meat a lot as do i. i dont think theres any problem with adding salt to your food especially if you make your own food but do be careful when you have take away food because the salt level is already high.

if in doubt, speak to your doctor. :o)