I've lost 20 pounds but see no difference?

Options
Hi! I started at 228lbs (I know - bad) and am down to 208! I'm excited to have made some progress, but I don't really look or feel any different at all. My clothes fit the same and my body hasn't changed at all. I still have a ways to go, but it seems like 20 pounds is a big enough amount that you'd think it would change the way you look, even a little? I'm just wondering why this is? I'm 5 foot 10 and female.

Replies

• Nertak
    Nertak Posts: 34 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It can be discouraging. Focus on the weight loss and not how your clothing fits. I went from 250 down to 203 and aside from tightening my belt a little there was no change in my clothing.

Keep it up. The scale doesn't lie.
  • brrrycicle
    brrrycicle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far! Although you may not notice any significant difference, 20lbs is a considerable amount of weight, and has already improved your health and quality of life. So kudos to you!

I recommend finding something that weighs 20lbs and tried lugging it around. Now think about how much less weight is on your joints and organs. Your body will notice the difference!
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss, keep going
  • shoostar28
    shoostar28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good for you, that's great progress! Your body is probably feeling better and healthier in little ways you don't even notice yet. Keep at it; I think once you hit the right point in your weight loss, it will probably feel like it is melting away. I know it's a LOT of work and it's discouraging not to physically see the results - but once you do, which won't be long if you keep at 'er, It really is so rewarding. Your body is thanking you regardless right now!
  • ahmedbilalukt
    ahmedbilalukt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am a boy of 24 years my weight is 207 pounds / 95 kg i want to loose around 40 pounds / 20 kg... Can u guys guide me?? General tips will be highly appriciated
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 also and it took me losing 30-35lbs to notice any changes. I only went down one pants/shirts size, too. It's frustrating but after you get past a certain point, the "noticability" becomes greater the more you lose.
  • firstlay_d
    firstlay_d Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    brrrycicle wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss so far! Although you may not notice any significant difference, 20lbs is a considerable amount of weight, and has already improved your health and quality of life. So kudos to you!

I recommend finding something that weighs 20lbs and tried lugging it around. Now think about how much less weight is on your joints and organs. Your body will notice the difference!

I like your logic way of thinking. . That's a good idea
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Well done for such a fantastic loss so far. I think because you are tall you are not noticing it.
    I agree with the other poster find something that's 20lb you will be surprised at the weight.
    Don't worry as the weight comes off it will be more noticeable and with your height you will look a lot slimmer at a higher weight than say a shortie like me.
    Also I don't think we are always the best judge of ourselves , we see ourselves bigger than what we are.
    Also it's 20lbs all over not just in one spot, it's harder to see.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    20 lbs is fantastic loss! I've now lost about 22 lbs (I'm shorted than you and went from 185 to 163), and I am really only starting to look noticeably different. But I feel so much better! The main difference is walking up or down stairs - it's so much easier. Walking in general is also easier - while I've always been a keen walker, it's a breeze now to walk 10,000 steps.

I've heard someone compare weight loss to a roll of toilet paper - as you start a new roll, it looks about the same for quite a while, but at one point it starts looking noticeably smaller with each sheet gone. So we'll get there! Good luck in your effort!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! What others have said is right - I am also 5"10 and it took me until 35lb loss to actually notice any difference, and even then it was other people that commented and I only noticed through looking at pictures! Take a picture of yourself with every 10lb loss - don't forget, you look in the mirror every day so you won't notice the changes so much. Pictures paint a much bigger story.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    ah same.
    Ive lost 12lbs in the last 3 months and nobody bar 1 has noticed it.

Another 15lbs to go / or flat tummy. Whichever comes first :p
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    10x31x90 wrote: »
    Hi! I started at 228lbs (I know - bad) and am down to 208! I'm excited to have made some progress, but I don't really look or feel any different at all. My clothes fit the same and my body hasn't changed at all. I still have a ways to go, but it seems like 20 pounds is a big enough amount that you'd think it would change the way you look, even a little? I'm just wondering why this is? I'm 5 foot 10 and female.

20 pounds is the average weight of a car tire...

14039658636_acef4d273a_o.jpg

Congratulations!!!! You have already lost your first tire so to speak. 2 more tires to go and you will have dropped into a normal BMI weight range.

Keep on, keeping on with shedding those tires...!!!!

• dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Another 5'10 person here and I agree that generally it takes longer to show on someone with a relatively larger frame. I'm almost at goal after losing about 25lbs and am still wearing many of the same clothes as when I started - they just fit better! And very few people have noticed I've lost weight (which is kind of how wanted it, tbh).

You're doing great, just keep doing what you're doing!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    Unless you took pictures, you very well might miss the changes. Either they are sort of equal all over, in which case 20 pounds is not a lot spread over the whole body; or they are all in one place, and you might miss it because you are looking for the changes elsewhere. I didn't see changes easily until about 30-35 pounds loss. I probably would have if I had taken pictures. Keep at it, you will see the changes.