Did LCHF wreck my metabolism ?

Options
This is it !
My doctor advised me of LCHF as an option while taking metformin for treating pcos + ir
I tried , for about 3 weeks I was miserable, always went to sleep hungry , and craved sweets like never in my life, i would lose 2 pounds and binge and gain it back ... Over and over in the course of 3 weeks
I did not change my calorie intake i just changed from eaing everything in moderation to low carb ...
Thats because I plateaued after losing 35 lbs so doctor advised me " hey , lets try low carb "
I felt awesome , my measurements actually changed i looked good , but I ended up binging after each if those changes ...
I give up
Low carb is not for me
Now the problem:
I feel like I crave sweets 24/7
I was never like that , is my body gonna stop losing weight because i was on such a strict lifestyle?
Is eating everything in moderation just"normal" to my body ?
Did going low carb wreck my metabolism?
Im also considering stopping metformin im on a high dose of 850mg 3 times a day , anyone actually gained weight when stopped?
I hate meds and don't want to take this forever ...
Sorry for the long post , just so confused and stressed today , and feeling gigantic :(

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You haven't "wrecked" your metabolism. And DO NOT just stop taking metformin. If you want to get off meds, you need a plan formulated by your physician.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You weren't doing enough healthy fats. Set macros 15c/20p/65f. :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    When I opened my diary, people told me to eat more protein and a bit more fiber.
    Very helpful to get specific answers.
    I am high carb and love it.
    Lots of beans, lentils, barley, etc. Not all carbs are created equal.
    Many people that choose high fat choose high quality fats.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't quit meds without a doc's approval/guidance.

LCHF is not for everyone, you might be one of those people. Why don't you just try calorie counting instead?
  • Morglez
    Morglez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree with others who are saying do NOT stop your medicine unless guided by your doctor. Some medications can really harm you if you quit them cold turkey, and require that you be "weaned" off them.

As for the sweet cravings... I understand that as I have a HUGE sweet tooth. What helps me is eating healthy sweets. I love fixing smoothies with fruit in them. I also ALWAYS have flavored greek yogurts in the fridge. I usually get the ones that are dessert flavored. When I am craving something sweet, I reach for one of those. Only about 100 calories, and full of protein. I'm sure others can offer more advice on this, but those are two things that work for me.

Also, I'm sure others will mention that instead of restricting certain aspects of foods from your diet, why don't you figure out how many calories you can eat to safely lose weight... and just fit things in. Unless you have a specific health issue that requires you to not eat something, then by all means eat it in moderation. I don't restrict anything... if I did I would go crazy! Especially carbs, I just love them too much! I also have my goal set to lose 1 pound a week. I tried 2 pounds a week and for me, it was too restrictive and I was too hungry.

Good luck to you, and don't give up!
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Have lollipops around instead of chocolate if sweetness is what you really crave/binge on as far as calories over time. Good luck and feel free to add!
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank u guys
    Yeah i wasnt gonna suddenly stop metformin but wean myself in a course of 3 months by reducing doses...
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Have lollipops around instead of chocolate if sweetness is what you really crave/binge on as far as calories over time. Good luck and feel free to add!

Bad suggestion for someone who has diabetes. Dark chocolate, particularly, is much better than lollipops.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    mita271 wrote: »
    Thank u guys
    Yeah i wasnt gonna suddenly stop metformin but wean myself in a course of 3 months by reducing doses...

Only do this if your doctor is on board. It can be dangerous to do on your own.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I promise you haven't wrecked your metabolism in 3 weeks :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Thats because I plateaued after losing 35 lbs

the preceding diet was for a much longer period than your attempt at LCHF.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    3 weeks wouldn't have ruined your metabolism. A 'slow metabolism' is really a saying for a low BMR anyway, which is normally caused by having a low muscle mass.
    I'd be interested to know your stats and what you are eating though, as you said you 'felt awesome and looked great', so perhaps you don't need to lose any more weight?
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The book out by Dr Michael Mosley The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet may be worth looking at. Make sure you involve your doctor with any plan. This might not suit you. If nothing else it could give you another insight.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    When you say "plateaued" on your previous diet how long did this last for? I would consider that you could confidently call it that no earlier than 4 weeks without any change whatsoever in either weight, BF% and / or measurements depending on what metrics you are consistently using. This is to allow for variances in water / glycogen / undigested food still making its way through the GI tract / and, errrrr, other stuff which needs to be evacuated.

You haven't wrecked your metabolism with LCHF or even just low carb in 3 weeks. What does seem to have happened is that you have had an adverse psychological reaction from the perceived deprivation and "strictness" as you call it of the diet. This has lead to some binging. This may be as a result of the diet composition, a particularly restrictive calorie deficit or both and your reaction to it.

So, eat at maintenance for a week or two. Do not worry if you gain a little weight as it is temporary. Work in a few of the things you were especially craving without guilt. Do exercise you like for fun.

Then go back to what you were doing before or a modified version of LCHF or whatever which you feel suits your preferences. Keep the calorie level sensible. Be ruthless with your logging and portion control for a few weeks until you have recalibrated your perceptions. Engage in regular exercise. And most importantly be patient. You will be fine.

In short you need to chill your boots Captain Speedy Pants.
  • Untilproud11
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    When you say "plateaued" on your previous diet how long did this last for? I would consider that you could confidently call it that no earlier than 4 weeks without any change whatsoever in either weight, BF% and / or measurements depending on what metrics you are consistently using. This is to allow for variances in water / glycogen / undigested food still making its way through the GI tract / and, errrrr, other stuff which needs to be evacuated.

You haven't wrecked your metabolism with LCHF or even just low carb in 3 weeks. What does seem to have happened is that you have had an adverse psychological reaction from the perceived deprivation and "strictness" as you call it of the diet. This has lead to some binging. This may be as a result of the diet composition, a particularly restrictive calorie deficit or both and your reaction to it.

So, eat at maintenance for a week or two. Do not worry if you gain a little weight as it is temporary. Work in a few of the things you were especially craving without guilt. Do exercise you like for fun.

Then go back to what you were doing before or a modified version of LCHF or whatever which you feel suits your preferences. Keep the calorie level sensible. Be ruthless with your logging and portion control for a few weeks until you have recalibrated your perceptions. Engage in regular exercise. And most importantly be patient. You will be fine.

In short you need to chill your boots Captain Speedy Pants.

Lol
    Thank you :)
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    from the sounds of it you were not on a very strict lifestyle anyway since you said you would do it for a bit and lose control and binge on sweets. So even if LCHF had the ability to ruin your metabolism I doubt it does when not being adhered to. I say don't worry about you, you tried it, it wasn't for you just go back to calorie counting.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I tried the low carb / no carb thing once and turned into a raving sweets craving maniac. So I stopped, and the sweets cravings went away. Like others have said, work with your doctor to get off the meds. I don't know if this will help but I moved to a 100% plant based diet and everything changed for me in a positive manner. Overall health, nutrition, my stats, my mental health, my sleep, my energy, all improved. No meds, no cravings, no feeling hungry. Just a thought.
  • Untilproud11
    Options
    Thank you all :)
    You are all amazing