Tips for a girl beginning heavy weightlifting?

Options
katieflaniken2017
katieflaniken2017 Posts: 19 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all! I'm Katie and this isn't my first rodeo trying to lose weight. I've been successful in losing weight several times, but set backs and life happened in the form of two back to back pregnancies. (Love being a mom!)

But in the past, even when I'm so close to my goal, I'm never satisfied with how my body looks. After doing some research, and seeing countless success stories about women and weightlifting, I've decided to get going. I started last week with heavy lifting in our local gym, but I'd love to hear any advice you might have for me! Thanks!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you aren't already on a program, you should follow one. lots of girls on here like strong lifts or new rules of lifting. make sure your form is good, and have fun.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I agree - find a structured programme to follow. I'm personally don't SL5X5 because it's just 3Xper week and easy to follow. I'm really enjoying it and definitely seeing results in terms of both strength and body composition even though I'm still eating at a deficit to drop the last few lbs/decrease my BF%. Look up stronglifts.com - it's free, there is an app for you to record your workouts and there are videos to show you correct form. I can highly recommend it but you need to do a little research and find what works best for you - the best workout routine is one you can stick to!!
    Good luck with your goals.
  • jenring3
    jenring3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Check out Girls Gone Strong (website). They have a great downloadable beginners program. Otherwise the New Rules of lifting book series (start with For Women) can't be topped really.
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5... in my opinion... tops NROL (for women).
    Easy to remember... a free app... awesome bod.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I started out with NROLFW (news rules of lifting for women), but I didn't much enjoy it. I quickly switched to Stronglifts 5x5. That kept my interest much better because it was simple and short but effective. I also like that it has an app to use to make tracking workouts that much easier.

If neither of those appeal to you, there are others out there. Starting Strength, Ice Cream Fitness, All-Pros Beginner, and a plethora of options on bodybuilding.com.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    I started out with NROLFW (news rules of lifting for women), but I didn't much enjoy it. I quickly switched to Stronglifts 5x5. That kept my interest much better because it was simple and short but effective. I also like that it has an app to use to make tracking workouts that much easier.

If neither of those appeal to you, there are others out there. Starting Strength, Ice Cream Fitness, All-Pros Beginner, and a plethora of options on bodybuilding.com.

^^^ this is me too. I started with NROLFW and printed out the two workouts, took them to the gym and found a muscled trainer to just show me the individual moves. But as I went on I found it took too long and got too complicated. Now I've switched to Stronglifts, and as I have limited time in my morning gym visits this fits well. The moves are basic, but that's all you need. I may well switch to All Pros Beginner routine as I like the progression - SL I find I am struggling to add weights, and the fractional plates at my gym keep disappearing!!!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm doing "strong" which is the sequel and updated version of NROLFW. I don't yet have a power cage, and I was less intimidated by it than Stronglifts. It really eases you into the "big" lifts, which some may like and some may not like.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    strong lifts 5x5 by far...
  • kristinann308
    kristinann308 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I really like spitfire fitness....its an app on the IPhone. It may be advanced, but I believe they have beginner programs as well. It gives clear descriptions and even videos if you need.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack but I have a question too. Did you all do stronglifts with a personal trainer? Or did you just walk into a gym and figure it out? I'm too intimidated to do that!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack but I have a question too. Did you all do stronglifts with a personal trainer? Or did you just walk into a gym and figure it out? I'm too intimidated to do that!

I watched his videos and just did it.

I joined this group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    and it was a big help.

I actually have never lifted in a gym..I do it at home. My husband and son made me a squat rack for my birthday and I did the program for a year, switched to 3x5 (same program) for the summer then 5/3/1 ever since...it's been almost 3 years.

I have never hurt myself lifting and I have lifted heavy (235lb dead lift, 145lb bench, 210lb squat)
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to do it at home because I don't have a bunch of weights.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

A lot of people do it by themselves, Me personally i always work with my trainer, its one of the few luxuries i splurge on for myself
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I'm not a woman, [insert "deal with it" gif here] but I'm gonna go ahead and answer this anyway.

If you can afford a trainer for a month or so, that would be great. Just be sure (s)he is willing to show you how to perform the lifts correctly and correct any errors on your part. If the trainer, when you talk to him/her (BEFORE PAYING), tries to talk you out of the program - provided, of course, you don't have any pre-existing injuries that might make this program a bad fit for you - find a different trainer.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    jenring3 wrote: »
    Check out Girls Gone Strong (website). They have a great downloadable beginners program. Otherwise the New Rules of lifting book series (start with For Women) can't be topped really.

This^^ Girls Gone Strong has great
    info:-)
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts...but kudos to you for starting....I love women that lift!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I like watching Alan Thral videos on youtube about form etc. He's VERY informative, shows you how and why and why not in some instances. He has videos for Deadlifts, Front Squats, Overhead Press...everything. He makes sense to me and is very visual. I recommend highly.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    +1 for StrongLifts and +1 for Alan Thrall videos.

I know that it can be very intimidating to just walk in and get started on a program without someone there to help, but trust me, the first time is the hardest and it only gets easier.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. Or get a trainer

Listen to your body
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend getting a trainer even if it's just for a month or so to get your started. To get a good one, maybe try and find a gym near your that's more of a weights/powerlifting gym, (rather than a chain gym) as they're more likely to have trainers who are experienced in lifting.

I never enjoyed gym/phyiscal activity until I started weight training and now I love it! Good luck with it :)