How to get back into working out?

Options
i have let myself get out of shape the last couple of years by not being very active. Well now I am trying to lose weight as well as developing a healthy day to day lifestyle. Where do I start to get back into it? I attempted to run yesterday and was terrible at it?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If you want to run, I recommend a C25k program. They ease you back into running and help you work your way up to a 5k.

And don't forget strength exercises. You can do body weight or pick a lifting program (you can find some on bodybuilding.com that are free).
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You can do a run / walk routine. Walk 1 block then run 1 block... build up to where you run 2 blocks and then 3 blocks...
  • rodriguezdaniel598
    rodriguezdaniel598 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Honestly finding a workout buddy to motivate you is by far the greatest way to get back in it. I had a knee surgery a year ago and needed up gaining 50 pounds. My little brother call me a Fat *kitten* fake wrestler and pretty much forced me to hit the gym with him. The first few days were a drag but now I'm loving it. Especially when I'm able to outrun him and lift more than him. Best motivation for me was kick my little brothers *kitten*.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    i have let myself get out of shape the last couple of years by not being very active. Well now I am trying to lose weight as well as developing a healthy day to day lifestyle. Where do I start to get back into it? I attempted to run yesterday and was terrible at it?

The first time you read a book, did you do it flawlessly without help, patience, and repetition? Of course not.

You WILL become better by repeating again and again. Running is an excellent exercise but there's definitely a way to go about it to ease yourself into it. If you overexert yourself (really easy to do) you're bound to become discouraged and give it up. As others have suggested , C25K is a phenomenal program and will walk you through becoming a runner.

Of course there's so many more exercises you can do besides running. You have to find something you can love.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Start. That simple. Try different workouts. Find what works for you. If you don't have a step counter that is a good place to start. Set attainable goals. 1 month, 6 months, and 1 year. Pinterest has great workouts, work cardio and strength in together. Adding friends on here is also a great idea, that way you get notifications of others sucess.
  • heathermckaye351
    heathermckaye351 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you want to run, I recommend a C25k program. They ease you back into running and help you work your way up to a 5k.

And don't forget strength exercises. You can do body weight or pick a lifting program (you can find some on bodybuilding.com that are free).

What is this program? Where do I find it?
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    One great way to start lifting is to use stronglifts 5x5. It focuses on 4 compound movement lifts and starts super light and gets progressively heavier each session. When I started lifting again for the first time since high school, I never got super sore and miserable.
  • phoenix_on_fire
    phoenix_on_fire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in exactly the same situation. Used to be ripped but due to some hard times I fell back on bad habits. Things are better now and I'm ready for a change. I started Jillian Michaels new beginner shred DVD today. Moves that used to be easy were a challenge today. But I feel good because I did it!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

What is this program? Where do I find it?

Couch to 5k. Walk/run intervals that start mostly walking and progress in difficulty until you can run for 30 min straight. There is a phone app in the App Store for free that has it all timed out for you. You can do a web search for more info. I'm currently on week 4 and have always hated running before!
  • nsa352
    nsa352 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Find activities that you find fun like swimming,kayaking, dancing... You don't need to run to lose weight. I am lucky I love being active, I just find not doing any activity boring . I love playing sport and dancing. Is there any activity you enjoy? Physical hobbies?
  • hanjo285
    hanjo285 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The biggest help for me was working out with a friend. I thought I would hate it, I'm so introverted and competitive, I thought I would just constantly compare myself to whoever I was with. And believe me, my friend that I work out with is much stronger than I am, so that's a legitimate possibility. But, when you're in there you're so focused on yourself you don't even really pay attention to what the other person is doing. We still do the same work outs and push each other, her weight is just much heavier than mine. And you can motivate each other to go when one of you aren't feeling it. Her and I both find that we're more willing to push ourselves when we're together rather than alone because you don't feel quite so vulnerable and exposed. It seems ironic from my introverted mindset but it absolutely is the reason for the progress I've made today. Good luck!!
  • Dixie2111
    Dixie2111 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather,

Try putting on some up beat music and just dance around for a while indoors, do this every day and try to make each session longer; this will help re-build your stamina levels and let loose those happy endorphin's, as well as burning those calories, then once you can dance around and sing along without getting too out of breath you'll be ready to hit the pavements running! Good Luck and it wont cost you a penny either.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Walking is best to start I was very ill last year couldn't walk 5 minutes before feeling sick
    So I built up my walking times
    I've now purchased a treadmill but it's a slow process for me
    Don't go straight into harsh exercise you need to build your fitness level up
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just pick something moderate and get to it. Don't wait for "inspiration" or motivation. Just go do it.

even if that means going for a walk- or doing 5 push ups- just DO something.