Potassium and Calcium

Options
mistyh10
mistyh10 Posts: 42 Member
I am able to meet pretty much all of my positive nutrition goals every day except for calcium and potassium. I only get about half of what I should daily (or less). I eat some cheese but I don't love milk all that much and I eat bananas but only eat potatoes only occasionally. Anybody have any healthy suggestions? TIA

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Calcium supplement - I don't pay attention to potassium
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    You are probably getting more potassium on a daily basis than you think you are because potassium levels are not required by the FDA to be listed on the nutritional data on food product packaging.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    All of the above.

If you are really that worried about potassium you can get a sodium/potassium mixture to sprinkle on food.
  • mistyh10
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My goal is to get equal amounts of potassium and salt.
    If I eat 2,000 mg of sodium, I try to get 2,000 mg of potassium.
    A 1:1 ratio.
    Only take extra potassium supplements under a doctor's supervision.
    It can be extremely dangerous.
    Low sodium v8 may be something you consider. 700mg of potassium.

Calcium: Take a supplement. Calcium citrate w/ vitamin d and magnesium included.
    Osteoporosis is a horrific disease to live with.
    Try to get at least 600 to 700 mg a day. 60-70% on MFP.
    Don't forget that dark green leafy vegetables contain a lot of absorbable calcium AND potassium
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Many multivitamins contain calcium and potassium. Something to consider.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    You are probably getting more potassium on a daily basis than you think you are because potassium levels are not required by the FDA to be listed on the nutritional data on food product packaging.

^^this

Many of the that foods we eat are incorrectly logged as having zero potassium.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Argh, my doctor told me to try to eat more potassium and I'm annoyed by how it's not required on everything. For example, some brands of Greek Yogurt show it on the package, but some don't. Since milk has K, I really doubt the brands without the K listed somehow remove it - they probably just aren't bothering to show it.
  • mistyh10
    Options
    My goal is to get equal amounts of potassium and salt.
    If I eat 2,000 mg of sodium, I try to get 2,000 mg of potassium.
    A 1:1 ratio.
    Only take extra potassium supplements under a doctor's supervision.
    It can be extremely dangerous.
    Low sodium v8 may be something you consider. 700mg of potassium.

Calcium: Take a supplement. Calcium citrate w/ vitamin d and magnesium included.
    Osteoporosis is a horrific disease to live with.
    Try to get at least 600 to 700 mg a day. 60-70% on MFP.
    Don't forget that dark green leafy vegetables contain a lot of absorbable calcium AND potassium

That's exactly why I want to make sure I get enough calcium! Osteoporosis is no joke, especially for women!
  • dbfutrell662
    dbfutrell662 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Salt substitutes have good amounts of potassium, an easy way to get it in.
  • mistyh10
    Options
    Salt substitutes have good amounts of potassium, an easy way to get it in.

What are salt substitutes?
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Salt substitutes like Morton Salt Substitute are for people on a doctor recommended, sodium-restricted diet. Used in excess they can cause renal failure. Too much potassium is bad for the kidneys. I like the low-sodium V-8 juice idea better. I don't particularly like tomato juice but can down a little can each morning to get enough potassium and other veggie vitamins.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1124926/
  • allstarelmo23
    allstarelmo23 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bananas, raisins, potatoes and tomatoes have potassium in them. I think poultry and red meat have iron in them.
    I take calcium magnesium as a supplement only bc i cut off dairy COMPLETELY
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    Salt substitutes like Morton Salt Substitute are for people on a doctor recommended, sodium-restricted diet. Used in excess they can cause renal failure. Too much potassium is bad for the kidneys. I like the low-sodium V-8 juice idea better. I don't particularly like tomato juice but can down a little can each morning to get enough potassium and other veggie vitamins.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1124926/

I believe this article actually said that the woman already had renal failure and was on dialysis, and that using the salt substitute caused hyperkalemia which caused cardiac dysrhythmia which led to cardiac arrest. People with normal renal function can use salt substitutes if they wish to.

Edited to correct typo.