Step Goals

Options
Currently I am 5'8 and 177.8 pounds. Sadly, very sedentary as I work at a desk all day and then am exhausted when I get home and haven't found the motivation to work out.

Whats a good beginning step goal? One that is challenging but not out of reach

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
  • murkalicious
    murkalicious Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    6-7k
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Just walk your normal day and see how many steps you have taken.
    Try adding 500-1000, then another 500-1000, etc.

If you are not use to walking, build it up at your pace, pushing yourself a little.

Too much too fast will wear you out and stress you. Build to a goal if 10.000, and go from there.

Make sure you have good footwear.

Cheers, h.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When I got my Fitbit I was logging under 5000 steps I now easily do 10000-14000 in a day.
    I would set an achievable goal of 4-5000 and keep trying to better it, you can then reset your goal.
    Good luck
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I use a Pacer app on my smartphone and you can either just track for a few days, see what your average is, then add a goal or it has some "programs" you can you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Just aim to make a start doing more than you do now and build it up. Aim for say 5k and see how you go, when it gets easier then you can add to that.
  • PowerFwd
    PowerFwd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My tracker has a progressive goal feature (garmin). When I started, it set my goal for me based on my daily activity. I did not believe that my schedule would allow time to get over 10,000 steps per day. I decided that I would meet or exceed the goal set for me every day. As I met the goal, the next days goal was automatically increased. Sometimes only a few and some days it increased over a 100 steps per day. To get the steps, I would go the long way from my office to the bathroom, or go downstairs. I then started walking the long way to my car and walked a little extra at lunch. After about a month, I was up to 11,000 steps per day. At 11,000 that is 5+ miles and about all that my schedule has time for, so I looked in the target. This is now my absolute minimum steps per day. I always exceed, but never fall below 11,000 steps. On weekends, I strive for more. I am very busy with work, but I make time for the 11,000 steps each day. I am surprised that I have found the time, but it is now a priority.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    When I got my Jawbone I was barely if even getting 2000 steps a days. I started upping it to 3500 and upped as I went a long. I try to get at least 7000 now but, do occasionally get 10,000-15,000. I get a lot of my steps from walking circles in my living room while watching TV.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I also work a sedentary office job, most days I'm at the office 11-12 hours per day. When I first got my Fitbit, I was only getting 2500-3000 steps. Depending on how many steps you are currently getting without changing anything, try adding 1000 and making that your first goal. Once you are able to hit that regularly, up the step goal by another 500-1000 and keep building from there. Good luck!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I work a sedentary desk job and was only getting 2000-3000 steps a day before I made a conscious effort to move more. Now I use my breaks to go for walks. That combined with my morning workouts, I pretty easily hit 10,000+ steps a day.