Two Weeks exercising and no weight loss?!

Options
Since I've started with myfitnesspal,

1. I've stayed under my daily recommended calorie intake. Excluding sugars and anything with High Fructose Corn Syrop. I have also given up alcohol and dring only water, or milk (at most a cup a day).

2. I' ve been working out using the Precor Adaptive Motion Trainer for an hour each day, 6 days a week, as well as a bit of walking and bicycling. Burning nearly 1000 cal per day.

I am discouraged when seeing that in a two week period I have only lost .3 kilos!!

Does anyone have some encouraging news or advice on what I should or should not be doing in order to loose weight?!

Much apprecaited.

- Mark

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary are you eating enogh , please read the links below

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • Lorna1976
    Lorna1976 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have lost inches instead of weight. Try measuering your biceps, thighs, chest and waist and see in a couple of weeks if there is a difference.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You are burning LOADS!! I would give it a month personally.. I found I would often stay the same for quite a while and then it would suddenly drop off me. That can be quite frustrating.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you are not eating enough. Read the links given. You should aim to be at or near your calorie goal, not under, and some would suggest you must eat your exercise calories (others wouldn't).

If you are really burning 1000 calories a day, you really must eat more to feed yourself.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    What are you using to measure your calorie burn? That seems extremely high for a machine. When I was using an HRM it was telling me my burn was twice what it actually was. This caused me to not lose any weight. Something to look into!
  • dubaigal
    dubaigal Posts: 10
    Options
    well i cant say im much different....ive had practically had no carbs for 3 weeks, stayed within my limits for almost 5 weeks with a couple of cheat days, i do excercise 6 times a week...drink plenty of water, i have the same pound coming off then going back on!
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing the same workout? I know our bodies get use to one thing and it doesnt burn any more. Try adding in some other workout cycles. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi there Mark.
    There are some things in life that we have better control over than others. The speed of everyone's weight loss seems to vary quite a bit, even given reduced calorie intake. However, I would suggest that you consider dropping pounds as just one small part of your journey. Instead, focus on all you have gained.
    For example: You indicated that you now use some kind of motion trainer 6 days a week. Hurrah, one victory over lethargy. You also go biking and walking. Another victory, (You can also increase the intensity and length of those for further victories). Furthermore you removed high sugar foods from your diet, another huge victory right there, plus the lower/no alcohol intake.. chalk up another victory. So, in my book clearly you are a winner. Be patient and give it time, the rest will follow. I agree with Lorna1976 to also take measurements early in your journey and check those once a month. Be well.
  • dubaigal
    dubaigal Posts: 10
    Options
    How long have you been doing the same workout? I know our bodies get use to one thing and it doesnt burn any more. Try adding in some other workout cycles. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

i spin 2 times a week, cicuit once, run once, body conditioning once and body pump once...its so varied!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    well i cant say im much different....ive had practically had no carbs for 3 weeks, stayed within my limits for almost 5 weeks with a couple of cheat days, i do excercise 6 times a week...drink plenty of water, i have the same pound coming off then going back on!

You're probably not eating enough either - read the links suggested above & the MFP basics link in my signature.
  • markmahler
    Options
    This makes sense and I have been following this and trying to eat healthier foods. Thanks for your reply! - Mark
  • markmahler
    Options
    Yes, will do. I can see some changes in this respect already, but perhaps that will encourage me more. Thanks!
  • markmahler
    Options
    Thank you for your encouraging reply. Will do. - Mark
  • markmahler
    Options
    Yes, I think so. I am eating most of the amount, maybe not about 300-500. Maybe I should workout less? Fewer times a week? Thanks for the tip! - Mark
  • markmahler
    Options
    Thanks Spacemarkus! Will check it out. Cheers - Mark
  • markmahler
    Options
    Hi WolffEarl, Acquiring patience should perhaps be my next victory. Thanks for you putting this in a more positive perspective. Cheers - Mark
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Just keep it going. It took me about 4-6 weeks to start losing a couple of pounds a week, but in that time I lost inches. I was building muscle.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I plateau all the time but.... these guys are right. For the first 3 months I went through 3 weeks of not losing weight but I lost 8 inches off my waist! Your body reacts differently then others. Just keep going and your weight loss will eventually follow.
  • marisa67
    marisa67 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • markmahler
    Options
    Thanks Lect! You seem to have done a great job! Very inspiring!! :happy: