I'm trying to lose weight but I love eating at night. As long as I count cals, can I eat at night?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    When you go to bed with undigested food in your stomach your body has to digest it while you sleep. Your body has to expend energy and water content in order to process food, rather than heal and regenerate like the normal sleeping process does. So depending on the load, you'll wake up still tired because your body spend all night digesting instead of resting.

LolNO.

Ever taken a nap after Sunday brunch? That full stomach sleepy time is the BEST
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    yeah no problem!
  • rnelson88
    rnelson88 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever, as long as you don't go over your daily calorie goal. I eat most of my calories at night because I'm never really hungry during the day. I lose fat just fine.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Naps serve a different function than 8 hours of nocturnal sleep, when the brain resets and the body heals from the day's stressors. Anyone who wants to eat before they go to bed is welcome to, whether they're informed about the effects on the body or not.

Sources for this information? I don't feel like being "informed" means taking someone's word on it without, y'know, authoritative data.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I'd rather monitor on calories throughout the day, and save my splurge for nighttime when I'm watching TV. I always get the munchies then! I don't think it matters. I've lost 16 pounds since January doing that!

Shannon
  • DavPul
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Naps serve a different function than 8 hours of nocturnal sleep, when the brain resets and the body heals from the day's stressors. Anyone who wants to eat before they go to bed is welcome to, whether they're informed about the effects on the body or not.

so what if i work night shifts and sleep in a pitch black room during the day? what's special about night time? and the human body needs FULL access to ALL of it's resources for the ENTIRETY of 8 hours in order to both digest food or repair itself? and what does any of this have to do with weight loss?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    When you go to bed with undigested food in your stomach your body has to digest it while you sleep. Your body has to expend energy and water content in order to process food, rather than heal and regenerate like the normal sleeping process does. So depending on the load, you'll wake up still tired because your body spend all night digesting instead of resting.

What? This makes no sense. Your body is an incredibly efficient, multi-tasking machine. If it weren't, we wouldn't be able to breathe, think, digest, chew bubble gum, and walk down the street typing responses to strangers on internet forums all at the same time...
  • DavPul
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »
    I don't feel like being "informed" means taking someone's word on it without, y'know, authoritative data.

Well, that's 99% of MFP forums y'know. Blind leading the blind.

Many flight physicians in many flight medicine briefings/appointments throughout the years have informed me. Got to be fit to fly, and I don't mean commercial flight.

is the OP a fighter pilot? will she still be able to perform the duties at her desk job if she has a sandwich before bed?
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't disrupt your sleep. Some foods give me heartburn. And although its kind of an old wives tale, peanuts really do give me nightmares sometimes.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

I usually eat 500 calories every night before I go to sleep because I can't sleep hungry. I always wake up refreshed. (Also lost a lot of weight because I found out meal timing doesn't matter)
    If I don't eat before bed, I sleep horribly and i don't wake up refreshed.
    It's personal preference.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What? This makes no sense. Your body is an incredibly efficient, multi-tasking machine. If it weren't, we wouldn't be able to breathe, think, digest, chew bubble gum, and walk down the street typing responses to strangers on internet forums all at the same time...

Whatever you say. Eat at night because our bodies are magical.

I do. I eat on a IF pattern. And eat about 1,000 calories pretty close to bedtime. And it's awesome.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    12by311 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Whatever you say. Eat at night because our bodies are magical.

I do. I eat on a IF pattern. And eat about 1,000 calories pretty close to bedtime. And it's awesome.

What is an "IF pattern"?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting. I typically have a 6 hour eating window in the evening, beginning about 3:30 pm with a snack.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »
    I don't feel like being "informed" means taking someone's word on it without, y'know, authoritative data.

Well, that's 99% of MFP forums y'know. Blind leading the blind.

Many flight physicians in many flight medicine briefings/appointments throughout the years have informed me. Got to be fit to fly, and I don't mean commercial flight.

"Many flight physicians" is not a source. Doctors are just as prone to misinformation and outdated studies as any other human; they aren't magical because they have an MD. Even the military ones.

Again, if you have recent sources, feel free to share them. I'm guessing that you don't, because the idea that your body can't multitask (digest and heal at rest) doesn't seem to have any scientific basis. You have some doctors that told once or twice that it's not a good idea to eat at night, which is an old idea that grandmothers tell overweight teenagers.

OP: lots of people on these forums (self included) have lost a lot of weight without any regards to meal timing. It's whatever works for you, to help you meet your calorie goals. I usually eat at least half of my calories between 5pm and 9pm, depending on the day.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I love late-night snacks. I've had people tell me I shouldn't eat at night, yet I've heard others say it doesn't matter.

If you eat after 6PM it will turn straight into fat.