Cayenne pepper and cinnamon for weight loss?

Options
MissMichelle1992
MissMichelle1992 Posts: 18 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've read a few articles and studies about cayenne pepper and cinnamon to boost the metabolism. But I am not sure if I should use them. Do any of you have experience with cayenne pepper and cinnamon for weight loss? Or is it just too far fetched to be real?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I guess if you make your food too spicy to eat it helps. Other than that this is just nonsense.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've read a few articles and studies about cayenne pepper and cinnamon to boost the metabolism. But I am not sure if I should use them. Do any of you have experience with cayenne pepper and cinnamon for weight loss? Or is it just too far fetched to be real?

I think you've just answered your own question.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Far fetched.
  • Bryo4
    Bryo4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I guess if you make your food too spicy to eat it helps. Other than that this is just nonsense.

^This. Just eat fewer calories. Good luck!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    All you need is a calorie deficit. Use cayenne and cinnamon for seasoning if you want but it's not stimulating anything.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Never tried it, and honestly its down to what you eat and remain in a caloric deficit accompanied with a active lifestyle. Have heard something similar though about it to be some type of "cleanse" that apparently Beyonce uses :/
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think foods with bold flavors can be more satisfying, personally. I've heard/read a few things about them boosting metabolism but I really think that using them as they are intended and not in some crazy concoction is the best way to go. If you like cayenne or cinnamon on a food, got for it. Boost your flavor and maybe you'll be able to eat a little less because it tastes so good. (any other benefit is a bonus)
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    When my husband cooks with cayenne, it's too spicy and I can't eat it, therefore I lose weight.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    While it is true that both spices can "stimulate" the metabolism, what fancy fitness articles fail to mention is that the boost given, while very real, is very very miniscule. It allows them to say "cayenne boosts metabolism" without lying but it very misleading. A more accurate statement would be "Cayenne boosts metabolism by an insignificant amount for a short period of time that in no way will impact weight loss".
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    The boosting metabolism thing is a myth. There is a definite link between cinnamon, improvement in mood disorders and protection against certain neurological disorders, but science has not shown how strong that link is yet. I eat it because it tastes good. *shrugs*
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    As @vismal points out the effect would be minuscule and cinnamon and cayenne pepper both contain calories so it is likely that their calorific plus outweighs any enhanced calorific burn.

Set you goal calories, eat that number of calories, and you will lose weight.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Taste some raw ground cinnamon or cayenne and you probably won't want to eat for a while, or until you can taste other things again.

I suppose you could eat less that way*.

*This is a joke. Most spices should not be eaten plain because they taste nasty.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    As stated the effect is minimal. Primarily it is due to stressing the body. The other thing they don't mention is your body very quickly adapts to the effect they have so even that minimal effect disappears quite quickly. It is far more important to meet your calorie goal while measuring your portions carefully (weighing in grams) than any supposed metabolic increase. BTW, you metabolism is just fine, if it were so much slower than everyone else that would be a good sign there is some sort of medical issue that needs to be addressed.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    My mother tried all of these "diets" including this one - adding excessive cinnamon to everything. She's still overweight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Just watch your calorie intake to lose weight. Boosting your metabolism is unnecessary and not a real thing.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I was one of those who was suckered into believing they worked. Total nonsense. Wallet got lighter though!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    While it is true that both spices can "stimulate" the metabolism, what fancy fitness articles fail to mention is that the boost given, while very real, is very very miniscule. It allows them to say "cayenne boosts metabolism" without lying but it very misleading. A more accurate statement would be "Cayenne boosts metabolism by an insignificant amount for a short period of time that in no way will impact weight loss".

Exactly what I was going to say...it is so minuscule as to be for the most part irrelevant. These kinds of things are called "majoring in the minors". Focus on what's really important...and if you like spicy stuff (I do) eat them...if you like cinnamon, eat it...but don't expect anything magical to happen. I live in NM and we eat hot *kitten* green chiles on everything...I still got fat.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Beyonce has a lot to answer for.......seriously it doesn't work....think to yourself when you read things you think aren't right.....WOULD PEOPLE STILL BE FAT IF IT WORKED.....
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    When I started eating oatmeal for breakfast consistently, I discovered I like it with a lot of cinnamon. So I've been consuming a fair amount (~1 tbsp) of cinnamon most days. If it has had an effect on my metabolism, it has been too small to notice. I wouldn't recommend adding a spice to your diet unless you like said spice.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I think the only good thing Cayenne pepper does is make you feel full from how spicey it is, which can reduce appetite. It is not a huge metabolism booster though, as others mentioned. Exercise will boost your metabolism! It's the same with green tea. It can help reduce appetite, but without healthy diet and exercise....you're not gonna lose weight. Calories in, calories out :) That's all you gotta do.