21 Day Sugar Detox

Options
Like to know who else has completed this program and experienced positive success. I have completed several times and had positive results but the cravings still are powerful... Like to compare notes and gain more knowledge

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just like sugar?

Maybe you could consume sugar within regarded healthy limits.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out if sugar is really my enemy. I eat an orange in the afternoon and have found it to be very satisfying, although almost all the calories come from sugar. (Eating the whole orange also gives you the fiber in the pulp.) I tried other afternoon snacks of approximately equal calories, but didn't find them as helpful in maintaining energy levels.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Opinion: It takes 21 days of stopping a habit to stop strongly craving it.
    Smoking is a good example.
    If you do this diet 21 and then go back to sugar, you are just torturing yourself.
    Moderation: I do not count sugar from fruits, vegetables, and skim milk.
    I DO limit my added sugars to 20 grams a day.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I eat almost no added sugars at all, but I still push the sugar limit with whole foods. Once you get off the added sugars, food from nature tastes quite sweet.
  • fwwilsonii
    fwwilsonii Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You guys rock, I did poorly word my statement, I have been successful but those natural urges still sneak around... But like many of you have said, I still LOVE my fruits and veggies!!!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I did this, I followed it precisely, and then kept going for 3 months! Any sugars I ate during that time came from veggies, but I had excluded grains, fruit, sugar and dairy during that time. I actually found that I had zero cravings after about 2 weeks. It was the best diet move I have ever made!
    What program did you follow, and did you stay with the program completely?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If you do this diet 21 and then go back to sugar, you are just torturing yourself.

I can say from experience it takes a whole lot longer than 21 days to stop the cravings from smoking.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

I can say from experience it takes a whole lot longer than 21 days to stop the cravings from smoking.

I agree, I haven't smoked in 30 years and never will again but I still get a niggling.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Maybe you just like sugar?

Maybe you could consume sugar within regarded healthy limits.

This x1000. Absent a medical condition, there's no reason to limit sugar, added or (especially) naturally-occurring. Your body treats the sugar the same, regardless of the source. If attempting to arbitrarily limit sugars to a certain level causes you such strife that you keep repeating a stupid diet like a 21 Day Sugar Detox (such an idiotic name) and beating yourself up over having the cravings, maybe it's time to stop placing those meaningless restrictions on your diet.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

#Truth #Quittingishard #stillhavecravingsafter3years
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    fwwilsonii wrote: »
    Like to know who else has completed this program and experienced positive success. I have completed several times and had positive results but the cravings still are powerful... Like to compare notes and gain more knowledge

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me.
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for chocolate cravings.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    fwwilsonii wrote: »

"Detox" suggests that you are going through a process of ridding your body of a toxic substance. Sugar isn't toxic, it is present in many, many Healthy foods. The word detox is way overused and always makes me suspect when I see it connected to any diet plan.