Is it bad to eat a low ammount of calories?

Options

Replies

• Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wait you guys i posted this wrong i actually weigh 344 not 250 i accidantally gave u my goal lol but if i do meet my nutritional needs its ok? And also eating back the calories i burn might add a whole new meal to my plan is that not good? Im sorry to have so many question thanks a bunch
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Okay so yes you have a lot to loose but still you need to eat a lot more then you are. My boyfriend is 6'2 and 215 now, used to be close to 300 and he looses weight at 2500 calories a day. You would be shocked how much work it is to move your body around when you are heavier and how much you really burn.

At your height and weight your BMR is 2916 CALORIES/DAY via bodybuilding.com, BMR is "The release of energy in this state is sufficient only for the functioning of the vital organs, such as the heart, lungs, brain and the rest of the nervous system, liver, kidneys, sex organs, muscles and skin. BMR decreases with age and with the loss of lean body mass. Increasing muscle mass increases BMR."

So 1300 is WAY to low.

Calories to maintain weight: 3492
    2lbs a week is 1000 calories a day, so 2492

You are eating to drop 4+lbs a week.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Don't set yourself up for failure. The weight will come off. Be patient and believe in the process. You haven't given any good reason to eat that low of calories. I'm 5'2" 157 and I eat 1300 cals!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    fluffygio wrote: »
    So what should i eat if i want to keep a low amount of calories? I might raise my calories 100 or 200 but i feel realy motivated to lose the weight and be healthy ive been working out almost every day too does that help? Nothing big just walking and little internet workout

Motivated to lose weight is good, but if you're not doing it in a healthy way, you will suffer for it later. Crazy strong hunger cravings, feeling weak and light headed, malnutrition. Not something you want to have to go through!

If you want to add muscle, you need to add protien. I honestly don't know what the limit should be, but you should at least be getting the recommended amount from MFP. Filling up on salads is helpful, and if you're including a lot of high-nutrient foods in your salad, that's fine for part of your day. But while counting calories is key to losing weight, you do need to make sure you're hitting your macros so you're also getting adequate nutrition.

If you're not liking the suggestions we have, I would say talk to your doctor. Tell him/her that you're trying to lose weight and you need to know what your daily calorie limit should be and what balance of macros you need to stay healthy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Wait you guys i posted this wrong i actually weigh 344 not 250 i accidantally gave u my goal lol

Your TDEE is 3607 (calculator below). At 344 you have a ways to go. Losing 2 pounds a week is reasonable for you. If you ate 2,607 calories a day you would lose 2 pounds a week. Don't worry about eating exercise calories at this point.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Because you have a ways to go, losing lean muscle mass is not so much a risk. BUT, you still need to be getting adequate nutrition. People who go on very low calorie diets often do so with medical supervision. These are not do-it-yourself projects. Unless you are getting help from a dietician.....please stop eating so few calories.

Weight loss is a marathon not a sprint. 1300 is crash and burn territory. Better to find something that is sustainable long term, than do an extreme diet and give up after a few months.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Options
    Ok thanks a bunch you guy im going up to 1700 i think that gives me space for my needs you guys are the best
  • Gioeyebrow
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Does salads really fill u up? I'm hungry within 30 min.. What are you putting in them? How much have you lost

Sryy to answer your question so late but yea they fill me up speacially sence i dont like dressing i get to eat a lot more salad but i just barely started dieting so ive only lost 20 lbs in 25 days
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    That seems pretty low for your height/weight. I am 5'6" and 160 right now, eating about 1500-1600. Walking 12k steps a day and my fitbit puts me at 2300 calories burned. You probably don't need to eat that little to lose...why make it harder on yourself than it needs to be?
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If you lose more than 2 pounds a week, you are losing non-fat mass and that's generally considered unhealthy. I'm much shorter, and lighter, and still losing around 1.5-2 lb/week on 1580 a day.

Unless if you have a lot of water weight, then it's okay to lose more than 2 pounds a week. This usually happens at the beginning for me or when I get off track and start getting back on. I lost 5 pounds last week for example. I'm pretty sure most of it was water because I was getting back on track.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Well, if you have anything on your side, it is your age. A 21 year old male has a bit of extra leeway when it comes to eating. I do suggest a bit more than 1300, though. You ultimate goal is to average 2 pounds a week, but when you first start it is very likely you'll lose more than that per week.

Have you started weigh training? At 24 now I wish I started when I was 21.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Options
    Well, if you have anything on your side, it is your age. A 21 year old male has a bit of extra leeway when it comes to eating. I do suggest a bit more than 1300, though. You ultimate goal is to average 2 pounds a week, but when you first start it is very likely you'll lose more than that per week.

Have you started weigh training? At 24 now I wish I started when I was 21.

I havent but im about to start gyming for sure thanks for the tips and i raised my calories to 1700 lol
  • lyssa1210
    lyssa1210 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You hopefully will continue to be motivated and this site will motivate you! Add chicken or tuna to those salads and a few nuts and you'll have some extra protein and healthy fats! Good for you ....good luck !
  • Gioeyebrow
    Options
    Tha
    lyssa1210 wrote: »
    You hopefully will continue to be motivated and this site will motivate you! Add chicken or tuna to those salads and a few nuts and you'll have some extra protein and healthy fats! Good for you ....good luck !

thanks luv ill do that
  • Gioeyebrow
    Options
    If you guys want to add me that would be totally awsome
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Im 6'2 i weigh 250lbs and i just lowerd my calories to 1300 is thos un healthy or is ther anyone els doing this?

No, No, NO! You are a 21 year old male who is 6'2" and only 250 even at over 300 pounds. You should not be eating 1300 calories a day. I am 5'10", 230 pounds or so, and will turn 50 this year and I eat 2100 calories a day and lose just fine. You don't want to lose what lean mass you have, not to mention the minimum for a male to get the minimum nutrients he needs is 1500, and since you are young and tall you need more. Stop trying to lose weight so fast. Use Myfitnesspal to set your goal using 1 pound per week, eat those calories plus any you gain from intentional exercise. The weight did not come on over night, it will take time to come off.

You say you want to get healthy, well eating at an extreme deficit is not the way to get healthy. Oh, it will result in weight loss, but it does nothing to help you learn how to eat properly. It takes an approach of get this off as fast as you can rather than how can I learn to eat properly (not salads all the time) for the weight I want to be. You need protein, you need fats, and salad unless you are adding some meat or cheese to it, does not have that in any abundance. If you do not learn and retrain yourself to eat properly, you will go back to what you did before once you reach your goal weight, and then the weight will come back on.
  • Gioeyebrow
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Okay if someone culd do me a solid and check my diary id be extremely greatful i feel like i havent eaten so much in days and im not sure if healthy cuz i still got 500 calories left lol and im not just eating vegies u kno?
  • Gioeyebrow
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Oh srry gimme a sec i think i did it
  • Gioeyebrow
    Options
    I ate the cantina bowl and im not sure about fiber is that like bread? Ill defenetly add vegies to my meals and thanks for the tips im about to use my last calories on an apple and some nuts
  • Gioeyebrow
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Am i gonna gain weight? Cuz compared to idk 3 slices of pizza what i ate today is alot or is it more of a your body digests better the better u eat?
  • NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 1200-1300 cals a day and I do just fine. This includes exercising 6 days a week. Ive lost 100lbs and only eat 3 meals a day so yes it sustainable. You have to find the right combination of foods that have a good combination of protein and helps you stay full. Lowering your calories is not for everyone so be careful with that.