Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fats

Options
Mersie1
Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
Hi! I have been pretty good about staying close to my caloric goal, as well as protein and fiber. I find that I am consistently under in days. I am finally in recovery from many many years of eating disorders so I try to not get too twisted up about hitting certain numbers exactly. That said, I was curious how important it is health wise to get enough fats.

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Fats are an essential nutrient. You can't make the essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6, and you need fats to absorb some vitamins. How much fat you need is debatable.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    You might have wanted to post this in the nutrition section, instead of nutrition debate.
    Fats are essential to life, both in allowing you to absorb certain essential micronutrients, and as a source for making various hormones in the body.
    The general recommendation I've seen is around .35-.4 grams per pound of lean or ideal body weight. How low are is your fat coming in at?
  • Mersie1
    Options
    My goal is 40 and I usually have anywhere from 10-15 grams left
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The US RDA for total fats is 30 grams so try to get at least that much.

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Getting 25 to 30 grams a days is probably going to be too low. If you're currently overweight, the hormone and fat derived molecules in the body might not be an issue right now as your body can use stores, but absorbing fat soluble vitamins like A, D, and E could all be an issue. It also means you're likely not eating many of the foods that contain D and E.
  • Mersie1
    Options
    I would like to lose some weight, but given my history w eating disorders it's better if I don't weigh myself. I am trying to keep my eating habits where they should be and work on accepting my body/weight to be where it should be then as well.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Mersie1 wrote: »
    I would like to lose some weight, but given my history w eating disorders it's better if I don't weigh myself. I am trying to keep my eating habits where they should be and work on accepting my body/weight to be where it should be then as well.

That's an admirable goal. Are you able to see a counselor while you do this? Having my own history of eating disorders, I know that I am prone to losing perspective on what my body should be/look like, especially if I'm under stress.
  • Mersie1
    Options
    Yes! I see a therapist and a nutritionist. I'm mostly using this for the accountability to follow my N's meal plan. She has laid out how many proteins/fats/carbs I should eat per meal, but doesn't want me following it so specifically that I turn that into a behavior. She is on maternity leave now, but ill see her when she's back at work. How has your recovery been? I describe myself as being newly in recovery. But so far I feel strong w it!
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Mersie1 wrote: »
    Yes! I see a therapist and a nutritionist. I'm mostly using this for the accountability to follow my N's meal plan. She has laid out how many proteins/fats/carbs I should eat per meal, but doesn't want me following it so specifically that I turn that into a behavior. She is on maternity leave now, but ill see her when she's back at work. How has your recovery been? I describe myself as being newly in recovery. But so far I feel strong w it!

I've been in recovery from my disordered eating for decades! Sometimes when I'm really really stressed I backslide, but it's never become a regular habit again. I think your N is right. If I get too obsessive about meeting my macros, it backfires on me. I've learned not to let logging run my life, which was a mistake I made for a while. Go Mersie!!!!!
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Ahh high fat foods are the only thing that keep me satiated
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have found that keeping a minimum goal on fat has helped my relationship with my body and food in general. Counting for calories exclusively does bring back some of my obsessive ED behaviors (no full backslide, 5 years recovering strong!)
    Your brain needs fat. A healthy brain will take better care of you and help you make those choices to recover. A sick brain feeds itself lies (bring on depression, anxiety, and social stress). Sorry, not science. Just my experience.
    Eat fat.
  • Mersie1
    Options
    Love that! Makes sense.
    Thanks so much. I'm so close to
    Full recovery I can taste it. I can go for
    Longer each time, then spook
    Myself, focus on weight and not nourishing, get really down and react and take it out on what I eat, but... I'm right back at nourishing the next day. Such an improvement from how I was. Can't wait to realize how far in past the ED is- some day!!!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Very! :)
This discussion has been closed.