Biggest lesson learned by tracking calories?

Options
It has been eye opening for me just seeing how much I can eat and stay within my allowed calorie budget. One of the biggest things I have realized is that there really isn't room for soda. I'm not a huge soda drinker but I can see how easily it is to drink 150-200 calories worth of nothing. It doesn't feel worth it anymore. I've also seen that I almost have to do some kind of exercise every day or I have to really watch what I eat. Very motivating!

Replies

• KristenNagle1
    KristenNagle1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've learned how much things like extra cheese, sour cream and not measuring portions can add up
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yep,that was it for me too. Once you've 'seen' the whole notion of energy balance you can't un-see it. LOL
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I was bummed by what a 1/2 cup serving of ice cream really was.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I THINK I eat less than I really do. :/
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    that you can eat quite a bit of boneless skinless chicken breast which i love.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    How much all those little bites and nibbles add up.
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    soda is definitely not worth it, cheese was my biggest eye opener! Dangit!
  • KimmyJaneTD
    KimmyJaneTD Posts: 43 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    *how to find lower calorie substitutes in my favorite meals that would normally be high calorie meals. I can still eat things that taste great and lose weight. I just have to substitute ground turkey for hamburger. or low-calorie sour cream... or whatever it may be.
    *I can still have soda, just coke zero and really only 1 per day. It hasn't hurt my weight loss at all.
    *I can still eat ice cream and sweets, just a lot less!
    *I've learned what serving sizes of things are. Just because I feel like it should only be 200 calories of something.. doesn't mean the food scale agrees with me!
    *learning to include more fitness in my life without making it a chore. Maybe walking to the ice cream shop instead of driving. Or parking in the last spot in the parking lot.
    *learning to adjust to high calorie days without feeling defeated. I can eat out once in awhile and get back on the journey the next meal. Instead of feeling like I've failed a diet.

and many many more things.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    How much all those little bites and nibbles add up.

This is why I chew gum while I cook dinner. I tend to eat the end of the cheese I just shredded or nibble on the heel of the bread I'm slicing, etc.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I realised how much I was eating before.
    And how amazing is eating anything you want, in moderation, and still losing weight.
    Also drinking calories in soda, juices etc is such a waste (unless it's alcohol lol)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I was sadz to see how much a "serving" of pasta really amounts to. That may be a serving for a 3 year old, but not me!
    I can do some lower cal substitutions but for some things, there is just no substitution. Ground turkey - the mere sight of it in the package makes me ill. I can't stand the smell of it cooking. I've tried it all sorts of ways - in spaghetti (meatballs or just ground), meatloaf, chili - etc. Just. Can't. Stomach. It.

When I want a soda I am usually content with an ice cold seltzer/club soda with a splash of lemon / lime / cranberry juice. Or Sprite Zero. Sprite Zero is the only "diet" soda I can stand the taste of.

I have learned that I can enjoy smaller portions of favorite things - I actually enjoy it more when I have to savor it. So I cut my servings of hard cheese up into tiny bite size pieces, instead of a giant chunk. I get a lot more "flavor bites" that way.

I've learned that sometimes, it's perfectly OK to have Hawaiian Punch and 2 Krispy Kreme donuts for supper - just not on a regular basis. ;)
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    In general, that some things just aren't worth the calories. This is usually for calorie dense foods that don't taste good enough and/or aren't filling enough. Like if I'm going to eat a 500 calorie cookie, it better be an awesome freakin' cookie.
  • 22Brentwoodgirl
    22Brentwoodgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I realized how frequently I just ate "a little something" without thinking about it - or enjoying it!!! Those little bits really add up. Now I think about spending my calories like I think about spending my money. I ask myself if something is really worth it. So, yes, I do splurge sometimes - but mostly I've just stopped frittering calories away.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Serving sizes for cereal are BS.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    In general, that some things just aren't worth the calories. This is usually for calorie dense foods that don't taste good enough and/or aren't filling enough. Like if I'm going to eat a 500 calorie cookie, it better be an awesome freakin' cookie.

Exactly!!!! For me - a lot of things truly are not worth it. I can bypass most bread, because to me, most bread is meh. I will have a yummy juicy cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce, or just eat it with a knife and fork - and save the 200+ calories for the bun unless it's an amazing bun. I won't throw calories away on grocery store OR Dunkin Donuts donuts - they suck. Only Krispy Kremes are worth the calories, IMHO.

I refuse to eat "just to eat." I have to really love it or I'm not going to spend my calories on it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Serving sizes for tortilla chips and ice cream are a joke.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Everything has too many calories.
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Everything has too many calories.

So true!! That's it, let's wrap up the discussion.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I learned I can eat plenty of meat to keep me full on fewer calories than I initially expected! That was my happiest moment.

"I can eat that much grilled chicken?!"
    "I can have more salmon?!"
    "I will have all this asada!"
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Oh. Then I learned that the amount of calories in a bottle of wine are a cruel joke.