Couch to 5k

Options
jemma1d
jemma1d Posts: 5 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone completed or currently doing the couch to 5k app? I've just completed my second day. I'm wanting to lose weight but worried 30 minutes of jogging/walking a day isn't enough?

Replies

• staciw
    staciw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now. On w4d3. I did it once before. Took about six weeks for me to really notice some changes.
  • Bryo4
    Bryo4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did C25K a couple of years ago. Exercise can help your weight loss goals, but by far most of your success will come from reducing your calories.
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am doing it for the second time (the first time was a few years ago). It seems more difficult this time but I am determined to run a 5K with my 24 year old son on my 50th birthday in August.

Like it was mentioned above, the biggest factor in your weight loss is the food/calories. Exercise should just supplement your diet. And the 30 minutes three days a week should just be for your C25K. You can also do strength training on your off days or even go for extra walks. I wouldn't push the running though.
  • rca27801
    rca27801 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Amazing app. Helped me run a 5k on Saturday. Stick to it. You'll be amazed at your stamina. If you feel like you can do more, jump ahead a few days.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about your calorie deficit, not exercise
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I started running about 4 weeks ago. Congrats on your choice. C25K is great! Just in case you didn't know, counting your calories and staying in a deficit drops weight. Exercise is for health and fitness and maybe to afford more calories. It's really hard to out run an excessive diet. (By excessive, I mean anything over maintenance calories.) For me, doing a run interval training session at 30 mins and weight lifting for 20-30 mins. Doesn't burn too many calories. MAYBE 150-200 and I'm 213 lbs. It may seem discouraging to hear, because it was for me, but really when you are done loosing weight, the body you built underneath will have been soooo worth it. It's like investing in your future while still loosing weight. It's win win. You get to see progress now AND later! So is 30 minutes enough? For cardio vascular health? Yes. For weight loss? Negligible...
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i'm trying it now too! week 2 day 2, i do it with my dog in the morning to get moving more. more than calorie burning i just really want to be able to run. i tried it before and got totally stuck on week 4 but i was pretty anemic then, so i'm hoping to do better this time.

any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    It's a great program but you always have to remember that you can't out run a bad diet.

The program will help you run your first 5k if that is your fitness goal
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Also keep this in mind- one mile of walking or running is about 100 calories burned. That's equal to a banana.... In other words...Run a mile means you get to eat an extra banana
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about your calorie deficit, not exercise

This.

I'm on week 8, so I'm nearly done. But it's entirely for my own fitness goals. If you want to lose weight, it's all going to come down to how many calories you're eating and being in a deficit.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i'm trying it now too! week 2 day 2, i do it with my dog in the morning to get moving more. more than calorie burning i just really want to be able to run. i tried it before and got totally stuck on week 4 but i was pretty anemic then, so i'm hoping to do better this time.

any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I just started week 2 as well. I ran about 20 years ago, wish C25K had been around then. Best advice is to go slow, no need to rush. As they say in all of the races; "To finish is to win." Speed will come, endurance comes first. I tried it first about 20 pounds ago, this time is MUCH easier, lol.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second week and as a few others mentioned I also completed C25K a few years ago but really didn't care for running. This time I am doing it for my daughter, she is in a program called Girls on the Run and is running a 5K in May and wanted to do it with me so what's a mom to do...
    I agree it does come down to your nutrition. I add in strength/resistance training on my off days. I also love Zumba and try to get it in 1-3 times a week just depending on my schedule.
  • crossfitknitter
    crossfitknitter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jlemoore wrote: »
    It's a great program but you always have to remember that you can't out run a bad diet.

This.

4 years ago I did the C25k program. I didn't notice hardly any weight loss despite training for all that time because I was still eating the same. I didn't get it at the time, though, so I was mad that I had put in all that work to not see any results (which was a lie, anyway, because I could run when I couldn't before - I just wasn't seeing it on my body like I wanted)

This time around, re-training, I spent the first two months of the year fixing my diet before adding exercise back in. I've lost more in those two months just changing my food than I did in the whole 10 weeks of running on my previous training, and now that I'm adding running back in I'm losing at a slightly higher rate.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    30 minutes is plenty, like mentioned watch your calories. A year and a half ago I was 250lbs and couldn't run a 1/4 mile. I started out with C25K and typically run 30 minutes 3-4 days a week and today I'm 182 and my best 5k race so far was 25:58.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'll be finishing week 3 tomorrow. Week 4 looks tough so I might have to do that 2 times, as well as some of the later weeks. If you need more workout time then do more. I also do weights 3x a weeks and other cardio work the days I'm not doing C25K, for an avg of 60 mins a day
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    is the app available for android? which one is best.