Is it bad to eat a low ammount of calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Thanks man your awsome i will
  • K_deng
    K_deng Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A female who does not excersise AT ALL should eat atleast 1200 per day if shes over 21, or over 1500 calories if shes under 21. THIS IS IF SHE DOES NOT EXERCISE AT ALL.

You are in starvation mode and you won`t lose anymore unless you up that amount ASAP. You will gain a little bit for a short while when you start eating again, but then you will begin losing and YOU'LL ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO KEEP IT OFF.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Also, @fluffygio, keep in mind that if you lose weight at a slower pace then it gives your skin time to keep up. Losing weight too quickly can result in much more loose skin. You are young and your skin will probably bounce back nicely, but only if you keep your weight loss at a slow, steady pace.

Good luck and keep posting here! Good for you for taking charge of your health and educating yourself.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Options
    Thanks you guys ill take that into acount
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    K_deng wrote: »
    A female who does not excersise AT ALL should eat atleast 1200 per day if shes over 21, or over 1500 calories if shes under 21. THIS IS IF SHE DOES NOT EXERCISE AT ALL.

You are in starvation mode and you won`t lose anymore unless you up that amount ASAP. You will gain a little bit for a short while when you start eating again, but then you will begin losing and YOU'LL ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO KEEP IT OFF.

No. Starvation Mode doesn't exist the way you are describing it.

Also, OP is a 21 year old male.

• Gioeyebrow
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You guys im making sure to eat healthy fats proteins carbohydrates you kno ive eaten 2 full meals today and havent even hit half my calories and in the last few days i can actually feel my body feeling healthy its weird its like im more aware i feel good the only thing that scares me is what @BZAH10 said about lose skin is that true am i gonna get saggy? 1 more thing ive been hearing my stomache alot more lately that means my metabolism is getting better right? Its kinda making me happy o:)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    fluffygio wrote: »
    You guys im making sure to eat healthy fats proteins carbohydrates you kno ive eaten 2 full meals today and havent even hit half my calories and in the last few days i can actually feel my body feeling healthy its weird its like im more aware i feel good the only thing that scares me is what @BZAH10 said about lose skin is that true am i gonna get saggy? 1 more thing ive been hearing my stomache alot more lately that means my metabolism is getting better right? Its kinda making me happy o:)

Oh no! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to scare you. Just a comment as something to watch for. It sounds like you are on the right track and are making progress so please keep it up!

Learning to listen to your body and it's hunger cues is also a good sign.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Through-out this journey I've found that the closer I eat to the calorie goal that MFP has set for me, the faster I lose weight. Eating under your calories consistently does two things - first, your body gets use to that calorie level and then the less you weigh, the less calories you can eat to still lose weight. Second, is that your body may start utilizing and muscle and not just fat to keep it going. You won't notice that at first - but after several months you won't be able to lose as fast since muscle burns more calories than fat. With all that said - undereating causes more issues than eating at your calorie level.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    Through-out this journey I've found that the closer I eat to the calorie goal that MFP has set for me, the faster I lose weight. Eating under your calories consistently does two things - first, your body gets use to that calorie level and then the less you weigh, the less calories you can eat to still lose weight. Second, is that your body may start utilizing and muscle and not just fat to keep it going. You won't notice that at first - but after several months you won't be able to lose as fast since muscle burns more calories than fat. With all that said - undereating causes more issues than eating at your calorie level.

No but i went up to 1700 thats alright isnt it? Will i still lose muscle if im eating lots of protein?
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 130lbs and MFp says 1700 is my maintenance.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Options
    Okay you guys convinced me imma give my self a cheat day once a week and eat 2300 calories 1 day a weak thats good right?
  • catherinekalberg
    catherinekalberg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For people who are seriously over weight and need to loose weight fast and keep it off a low calorie diet (starting out) like 1800 for males is more then sufficient. Include lots of proteins for muscle sustainment and exercise including weights. If you are cutting meat, eat lots and lots of nuts and seeds. There is such a thing as healthy fats. In all honesty it really does sound like you should talk to a dietitian for a more personalized plan.

A common mistake people make is cutting too low and not feeding your body the appropriate amount of fuel. You'll end up passing out, giving up completely in desperation for more food from such a low calorie diet. Cut too low and hunger will eventually stop. Its dangerous. Your stomach is stretchy. It never shrinks, it will get less elastic. That's why when you eat less for long periods it will hurt to then eat more.

See a dietitian. I don't think its ever recommended to go lower then 1500 for a male unless you are loosing for weight loss surgery.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Dude, for your height and weight 2300 is NOT a "cheat day" - it's the MINIMUM for what you should be eating, and that's assuming that you don't exercise much. Exercise will burn calories.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you're ignoring people who are telling you that you need to eat more. I know it seems counter-intuitive to be told to eat more, but I'm speaking from personal experience, as well. You might lose more weight faster, but trust me - mentally, it's difficult to eat WAY less than you're allotted. Physically, it's not exactly ideal, either. Honestly, I found it so difficult to stick to an excessive deficit that I have no clue if it actually would have increased my weight loss.

I've tried eating, say, 800 calories or less a day (for my age, weight, and height, MFP suggests no less than 1200...) It's not a good idea - at all. It's possible for a few days, but it can be mentally taxing - I felt tired, irritable, and deprived. Inevitably I would cave and eat way over my limit. It was very difficult to stick with, especially as someone who was accustomed to eating considerably more. I raised my calories to the 1300 suggested by MFP, and every so often allowed myself to eat back some of my exercise calories. Not only is it much simpler to stick with, I have still lost weight at a reasonable rate. I fell off the wagon a bit, but having a reasonable calorie goal makes it much easier to hop back on!

Please take notice of something. You, as a 21-year-old male 6'2" male with a starting weight (or current weight) of 300 lbs, were eating at a 1300 calories a day. This is slightly less than what they recommend for me currently - someone who is a 5'5" 25-year-old female whose starting weight was 226 lbs. Trust me - you can eat more than 1300 calories. I've been eating around 1200-1300, with several days over my calorie goal, and I've lost around 22 lbs since January. The weight WILL come off if you stick with it :)
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    fluffygio wrote: »
    Okay you guys convinced me imma give my self a cheat day once a week and eat 2300 calories 1 day a weak thats good right?

I would hardly call that cheating. plug your stats in Scooby... http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Even at a 25% fat reduction it has you losing significantly at 2600 cals. Yes you are trying to eat healhty fats and proteins but you are just not close to enough. you want to be able to sustain this weight loss you are trying to achieve, right? You really have to focus on doing this the right way. If you really feel like dropping your calories get to at least 2000 at day
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    For reference, I started @ 257 (male) and lost nicely on 2300. Re calculated every 10 pounds and am still losing (much more slowly on purpose) @ 1925 calories. 195 now.
  • Gioeyebrow
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Dude, for your height and weight 2300 is NOT a "cheat day" - it's the MINIMUM for what you should be eating, and that's assuming that you don't exercise much. Exercise will burn calories.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you're ignoring people who are telling you that you need to eat more. I know it seems counter-intuitive to be told to eat more, but I'm speaking from personal experience, as well. You might lose more weight faster, but trust me - mentally, it's difficult to eat WAY less than you're allotted. Physically, it's not exactly ideal, either. Honestly, I found it so difficult to stick to an excessive deficit that I have no clue if it actually would have increased my weight loss.

I've tried eating, say, 800 calories or less a day (for my age, weight, and height, MFP suggests no less than 1200...) It's not a good idea - at all. It's possible for a few days, but it can be mentally taxing - I felt tired, irritable, and deprived. Inevitably I would cave and eat way over my limit. It was very difficult to stick with, especially as someone who was accustomed to eating considerably more. I raised my calories to the 1300 suggested by MFP, and every so often allowed myself to eat back some of my exercise calories. Not only is it much simpler to stick with, I have still lost weight at a reasonable rate. I fell off the wagon a bit, but having a reasonable calorie goal makes it much easier to hop back on!

Please take notice of something. You, as a 21-year-old male 6'2" male with a starting weight (or current weight) of 300 lbs, were eating at a 1300 calories a day. This is slightly less than what they recommend for me currently - someone who is a 5'5" 25-year-old female whose starting weight was 226 lbs. Trust me - you can eat more than 1300 calories. I've been eating around 1200-1300, with several days over my calorie goal, and I've lost around 22 lbs since January. The weight WILL come off if you stick with it :)

Thanks a bunch also i havent ignored anyone they said i needed to eat more i up'd my calories that i needed to wach my nutrition im doing that too that i shouldnt starve my self and im eating big low calorie foods ive heard and taken everyones edvice i promise
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP you seem to want to do this the right way, but you seem fixated on needing to eat lower calories. Many people have tried to advise you that you will be able to lose weight eating considerably more than 1700 calories, and that by doing so you will have more energy, retain lean body mass, and likely find the process much more satisfying.

I don't think anyone has suggested it yet but you might want to take some time reading the stickied "Most Helpful Posts" at the top of each of the forum section. Start with this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1