How much weight did it take before you noticed?

Options
2»

Replies

• agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2" SW 225 CW 155 GW 130 (or until I'm happy with what I see in the mirror.) I would say it took a good 20-25 pounds before I could start seeing a difference in my appearance. The first person to notice other than my family, I think I was about 35-40 pounds down.

I've lost 70 pounds and sometimes people still don't say anything. I think they are a) nervous something is wrong with my health or b) nervous to comment for fear of hurting my feelings over how I looked before. Not sure what it is but it's something I wonder often but don't dwell on too much. I feel loads better and that started happening after the first 10 pounds dropped.

I second the other poster who takes pictures every ten pounds. I started doing that from 40 down wish I had one from every 10 to compare!
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    This is helpful- thank you! I can feel it quickly but then get frustrated that I don't see it and undo some of my progress. This is gods motivation to keep going.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I started to notice quite quickly. I'm 5'6", start weight 177lb or thereabouts, current weight 156lb, goal weight about 130lb or just under. I'm doing a course with some people that I only see once a week and they started commenting at around 14lb loss. I caught up with a friend I see about once a month and she immediately noticed. Personally I noticed clothes fitting much better and generally feeling more comfortable at around 10lb loss.

Loss is also relative to the overall amount of weight to be lost. A 10lb loss from 130lb to 120lb is a massive proportion of the overall body weight (about 8%?) and thereby much more obvious, whereas 10lb off a 285lb person is only about 3.5% and thereby much less visible.

I think whether people will say something or not in general is complex. I have always been slim and just piled on the weight during two bereavements in the last 3 years, but most people know me at 128lb being "normal" for me. So I guess they don't feel worried about offending. It's difficult for other people to gage whether a well intentioned compliment will be received as such. Many people don't like their bodies being remarked upon like that. Someone says "Gosh haven't you lost weight. You look great!" - but what they hear is "About time too, you looked terrible before!" - so they often don't say anything.

• NAbramovich
    NAbramovich Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and started at 188 on November 2, 2015. I'm 170 now. It's taken a long time (the first 10 came off during the first month and the rest has been over 3.5 months). It wasn't until 15 lbs lost that I noticed. It's not so much in my clothing since I wear stretchy pants and large shirts, but my face looks so much better.
  • sarahcav123
    sarahcav123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I started at 200 and am now 153. Goal is 130ish depending on how I feel. I'm 5 ft 6. I my clothes started to fit differently about 10-15lbs in, and then I started to lose sizes. That being said, 47lbs later and I still can't see it in the mirror. Everyone else around me can, but I can't. Obviously I'm in smaller clothes (and shoes, surprisingly!) but my brain hasn't caught up yet. It's a process we go through.

I know it's hard, but try not to put too much pressure on yourself about this. Just try and maintain a healthy and active lifestyle; keep pushing yourself. One day, you'll turn around and realise how far you've come.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I ballooned up to 200lbs (@5' 10"). Eventually I dropped down to 153lbs (almost high school weight) but during the process I didn't notice any change in myself until I was in the upper 160s. So it took a bit over 30lbs for me to notice.
    I think with a higher starting point and a smaller frame it may take a bit more weight loss before it's noticeable. Maybe 45lbs or so? Just remember that you will be the LAST person to notice as people tend to be their own harshest critics.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    20lbs until I felt like I could see a change. 30 for everyone else to take real notice.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Felt better at 20, people noticed at 30, now at 40 down and actually believe I will hit my goal eventually! 50 to go
  • amb3rj0y
    amb3rj0y Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and my highest was 200 lbs. Even though I bought some smaller sized pants at 185, I have personally noticed a difference at the current weight I am now 176. The only other person to notice is my boyfriend.

I feel like other people might think they are offending me by saying something about my weight if they have noticed. Just because I never formally announced my desire to lose weight, and never really talk about it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!