Alcohol

Options

Replies

• Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    karl317 wrote: »
    Finally, subject matter that qualifies me as an expert! :)

I switched from my beloved beer to Bacardi Light Rum and Diet Pepsi. I budget it like anything else.

I switched to spirits with diet mixers too and I love beer. But I can't often justify the fact that I could have had 3-4 shots of gin/vodka/rum for one bottle of high abv and tasty craft beer.

I only basically drink on Friday nights now. Can't justify doing it every night or even every other.

But remember - spirits can range anywhere from 100-180 calories per 50 ml (about 1.6 oz). They can add up quickly too, unless you're able to limit to just one or two.
  • KristenNagle1
    KristenNagle1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Such great information and great ideas. I think for now I am going to start by saying no drinks Mon-Thur. Once I have that down, Ill go from there. I do like the idea of my tolerance dropping. I'd love to get a nice buzz off of a few glasses :smiley:
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Anyone have trouble cutting down on alcohol. I have gotten into a bad habit of having wine almost every night and many times - way too much to fit into my calorie budget.

Aim to limit yourself to the weekends
  • DaShumps
    DaShumps Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Really enjoying this tread ~ I actually found and recently joined (March 2nd) MFP simply because I was curious on how many calories was in my glass of wine :smiley:
    Enjoyed the nightly (bad) habit of relaxing with a glass while chatting about the day with hubby, but after suffering a broken leg 5 months ago, I laid off in order to help with the healing. Although now I'm partaking in Friday/Saturday evenings with a mid week sip now and then...

As per Urbanetta's suggestion of adding ice ~ I've done that my whole adult life and believe it works...

And agree with rsll510, now that I am keeping count of my food and beverage intake along with tracking exercise, I now wonder how different my progress would be after indulging...

As I mentioned I'm new to this site so I'm also looking for "friends" if anyone is interested, please friend me :)
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Good article on alcohol and weight loss: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/11/26/alcohol-weight-loss/
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When I first started I gave alcohol up altogether and I found it was much easier to drop the weight. Now I just make sure, like anything, that it fits in my calories. If one glass fits, then one it is! If I want dessert, I have that in place of alcohol. I've found I'm happiest that way and it's a good balance!
  • grndiva
    grndiva Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This was just the motivation I needed to give booze the boot for the time being. *Sigh* I am going to miss my gin & tonics.
  • nelcyn2001
    nelcyn2001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    NewSoberMe wrote: »
    Definitely a struggle!

I used to have a glass or two a night after my kids went to bed. Over the course of a year, that glass that turned into two of them, eventually turned into a whole bottle. And even further...a whole bottle turned into a whole bottle PLUS a couple nips. Of course that isn't to say that you'll become as dependent as I did, however I do suggest stopping the habit sooner rather than later, as it doesn't get easier to stop. I'm two weeks sober, which is the longest I've ever been sober as an addict.

Some things I noticed, that will hopefully be of motivation to you:
    My skin looks great!
    I sleep much better at night
    My weight has stopped going up, and with a little effort it will come down
    My tummy is flatter, despite my weight pretty much staying the same
    I have more money!

Its ultimately your choice whether you cut it out completely or just try and limit your intake. Either way, feel free to add me! Also, hellosundaymorning.org is a great community for those looking to moderate or stop their drinking.

I stopped alcohol for 4 weeks now. And my skin is so much clearer. I have more energy too.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Learned I have to completely cut out my beer or wine to lose weight! It helps me stay focused on reaching goal and you better believe that will be the first to re-introduce to my nutrition plan when it's time to maintain! Which isn't here yet! Oh - I don't sleep better but my skin is clearer.
  • SCMomma2boyz
    SCMomma2boyz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this thread! I thought I was alone in this struggle. For a long while I've had several mixed drinks almost every night. It was my way of relaxing. Apple crown & 7 up is my downfall, so tasty ! I've had this stubborn weight that won't budge. I knew drinking was the problem. Increased appetite, fitful sleep,hangovers caused lazy unmotivated days. I haven't had anything to drink in the last 6 days. Thought it was going to be hard but really only the first night was. I have felt so much better and my liver & waistline will thank me! I'm looking to it as a weekend treat now that I have to earn with working out. I'm new (again) to mfp & would love some friends, feel free to add me!
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Maybe this will help:
    When alcohol is in the system, it has to be metabolized because it cannot be stored. So any other energy source, (carbs, fats, proteins) WILL NOT be used until all the alcohol is gone from your system. The worst time to drink alcohol is at night before bed. Why? Because we burn the most body fat AT REST and the most fat is burned SLEEPING, unless of course you still have alcohol in your system.
    Hope that helps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    [/quote]
    Maybe this will help:
    When alcohol is in the system, it has to be metabolized because it cannot be stored. So any other energy source, (carbs, fats, proteins) WILL NOT be used until all the alcohol is gone from your system. The worst time to drink alcohol is at night before bed. Why? Because we burn the most body fat AT REST and the most fat is burned SLEEPING, unless of course you still have alcohol in your system.
    Hope that helps.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    [/quote]
    Maybe this will help:
    Hope that helps.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    [/quote]
    Maybe this will help:
    Hope that helps.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    [/quote]

• Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread with useful information. I am wondering if one of you can please post a link to a medical journal or report with these facts and figures that I can read, please.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread with useful information. I am wondering if one of you can please post a link to a medical journal or report with these facts and figures that I can read, please.

+1
  • sparklyhippos
    sparklyhippos Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but I like to mix club soda (sparkling water) with wine. Cuts down on the alcohol/calories and makes it like a spritzer.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but I like to mix club soda (sparkling water) with wine. Cuts down on the alcohol/calories and makes it like a spritzer.

i will definitely have to try this!!
  • angelapolite72
    angelapolite72 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    NewSoberMe wrote: »
    Definitely a struggle!

I used to have a glass or two a night after my kids went to bed. Over the course of a year, that glass that turned into two of them, eventually turned into a whole bottle. And even further...a whole bottle turned into a whole bottle PLUS a couple nips. Of course that isn't to say that you'll become as dependent as I did, however I do suggest stopping the habit sooner rather than later, as it doesn't get easier to stop. I'm two weeks sober, which is the longest I've ever been sober as an addict.

Some things I noticed, that will hopefully be of motivation to you:
    My skin looks great!
    I sleep much better at night
    My weight has stopped going up, and with a little effort it will come down
    My tummy is flatter, despite my weight pretty much staying the same
    I have more money!

Its ultimately your choice whether you cut it out completely or just try and limit your intake. Either way, feel free to add me! Also, hellosundaymorning.org is a great community for those looking to moderate or stop their drinking.

I was TOTALLY dependant on my drinking as well. A glass eventually turns into a bottle. Daily drinking isn't good on many levels (in my opinion). As others said, you sleep better, can lose weight easier and burn fat instead of the alcohol, have better skin, and for me, I am sharper and can perform at my job better.

121 days sober and I love it!
  • sparklyhippos
    sparklyhippos Posts: 38 Member
    Options

i will definitely have to try this!!

You so should!! A couple thin orange or lime slices mixed in makes it even better :)!
  • kiralu76
    kiralu76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The drinking was definitely preventing my weight loss. It was empty calories, would cause me to eat more while drinking, plus hangover food! I cut out alcohol at the beginning of February, and I have seen some dramatic results. I have lost 15 pounds (woohoo!!), I am more focused, I sleep better and its easier to keep logging and exercising.
  • ClaireLK1987
    ClaireLK1987 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I drink once a week on my Saturday evening off (no counting for about 5 hours so one meal, some choc and some gin). I used to drink every day too and sometimes quite a bit. Once I started calorie counting 5 weeks ago I realised it was just a habit! Once I'd broken it I didn't miss it at all. I also realised I prefer eating my calories to drinking them!!