Has anyone tried eating 10 bananas a day?

Options
Has anyone tried this in order to gain weight?

Replies

• Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Let's say your maintenance is x calories.

We'll say 10 bananas is 1050 calories.

Here's my criticism assuming those 10 bananas are specifically being used to go over your TDEE:

1. There's a scientifically-backed maximum amount of lean tissue a person can build per day. 1050 calories above your TDEE, regardless of their source, aren't all going to be used toward muscle. You'd mostly be gaining unnecessary fat.

1a. Ignore that criticism if you're adding 1050 calories from a number well below your maintenance calories. For example, if x represented a number below maintenance and x + 1050 = maintenance + ~250, that would be fine, whereas maintenance + 1050 would be pointless for the aforementioned reason.

2. This would apply irrespective of caloric intake: as long as you have a lot of calories to dedicate to weight gain, a body is better off with as much nutrient density as possible. That's not to say every meal you have needs to consider what substitutes would offer a better diversity, but at least within reason. With 200, 300, 400, 500, 1050 calories, think of all the veggies, seeds, nuts, etc. you could squeeze in. Just something to consider.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    No.

Well I haven't tried to gain weight at all - but if I were, I would try to do it with a balanced nutritious diet of things I liked.

I guess if you really like bananas that could include 10 bananas a day - I like bananas but 1 or 2 a day is plenty for me.
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Eaten in moderation, there are no significant side effects associated with eating bananas. However, eating the fruits in excess may trigger headaches and sleepiness, Flores said. She said that such headaches are caused by "the amino acids in bananas that dilate blood vessels." Overripe bananas contain more of these amino acids than other bananas. "Bananas can also contribute to sleepiness when eaten in excess due to the high amount of tryptophan found in them," she said. Magnesium also relaxes the muscles — another sometimes-benefit, sometimes-risk.
    Bananas are a sugary fruit, so eating too many and not maintaining proper dental hygiene practices can lead to tooth decay. They also do not contain enough fat or protein to be a healthy meal on their own, or an effective post-workout snack.
    Eating bananas becomes significantly risky only if you eat too many. The USDA recommends that adults eat about two cups of fruit a day, or about two bananas. If you eat dozens of bananas every day, there may be a risk of excessively high vitamin and mineral levels.
    The University of Maryland Medical Center reported that potassium overconsumption can lead to hyperkalemia, which is characterized by muscle weakness, temporary paralysis and an irregular heartbeat. It can have serious consequences, but you would have to eat about 43 bananas in a short time for any symptoms of hyperkalemia to occur.
    According to the NIH, consuming more than 500 milligrams of vitamin B6 daily can possibly lead to nerve damage in the arms and legs. You would have to eat thousands of bananas to reach that level of vitamin B6.

http://m.livescience.com/45005-banana-nutrition-facts.html

Also, you can eat the peel too while you're at it.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Bananas are my go to fruit, so I'll probably have around 4 per day. I'm eating 2600 daily calories, so to get 1000, from bananas alone would seem unbalanced for me.
  • feelc
    feelc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You're better off if you eat various foods instead of one type in big quantities.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'd only do that if you want to go to the hospital for cardiac arrest or you've been dying to try the kidney dialysis machine.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    No, I didn't try that when I was trying to gain. Maybe too much potassium could be unhealthy
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    umm why exactly? Why not eat some nuts or avo instead?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Deja Vu
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    bananas give me heartburn.
  • kingkam21
    kingkam21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Megann555 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this in order to gain weight?

I used to eat 20 bananas a day when I was a veggan (until I stopped gaining mass)
    If your not a veggan than I do not recommend it! Bananas are high carbs and will surely bump out your stomach making you feel bloated as can be!
    There is no secret ingredient in bananas to help you make some gains.
    I would recommend a few cups of rice a day over 10 bananas
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I'd only do that if you want to go to the hospital for cardiac arrest or you've been dying to try the kidney dialysis machine.

Healthy people are not going to go into cardiac arrest or renal failure eating 10 bananas a day
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Healthy people are not going to go into cardiac arrest or renal failure eating 10 bananas a day

+1... can't believe someone actually posted that.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

+1... can't believe someone actually posted that.

I am pretty sure it was a joke.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I hope so.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    belgerian wrote: »

Yes - people on renal dialysis should not eat 10 bananas.

Agreed.

But for those of us with normal kidney function, it is fine. ( if it fits your calories, you like bananas that much, etc)

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    If you plan to always eat this every day then it's a good plan. I only eat the way I know I can continue to eat once I am at my desired weight. You will just start gaining again if you don't.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'll be damned if I'm wasting 1000 calories a day on bananas. For me, bulking is a time to get in your micros and use the rest of your macros on fun foods. There's nothing fun about eating 10 bananas. I'm not Freelee the Banana Girl.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    If you plan to always eat this every day then it's a good plan. I only eat the way I know I can continue to eat once I am at my desired weight. You will just start gaining again if you don't.

This is in the gaining weight forum; OP wants to gain.