Trying to get back on track! Yikes!

Options
Bonjomac
Bonjomac Posts: 2 Member
I started last July 2015 of getting on track with eating health and exercising. I had seen a photo of me sitting at a picnic table looking awful - just spilling out over that picnic bench and decided to start. It was a life-style change I was after- not just a diet. As time went on, I felt great and my energy was high. I lost 20 lbs. I went months without refined sugar. (I am definitely gluten and dairy sensitive, so I cut that out too.) Along with that, I even got my exercise down and usually get 50 min in 5-6 days a week. Then abut a month ago a life-changing matter that affects my family, has affected me emotionally. It's a good thing, but it as a single woman- 61 yrs old, who works full-time, and I'm a grandmother, I've had a really hard time with this news. I learned that my only in-state daughter and family will be moving this summer. All of my children now will be living out of state. When learning this news, and happy for my them, I started the ol' eating out of emotion thing, and sugar and Dr. Pepper and me have become best friends again. (I'm so addicted). I'm aching in my joints and hurting all over again. My energy is depleted. Oh, please help. I really need to lose 60-80 lbs total. I'm so tired of being FAT. I know I've lost ground, but I cannot face the scales. I just want my behavior to get back in check, and get on down the road with this journey once and for all. I had such high hopes of being at my ideal weight by summer.....

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hi!! My oldest has moved far away, I totally get the sadness. Hugs

read this to get you started

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1

best wishes, you can do this!!

• jenanne175
    jenanne175 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hello! I had been a lurker for a long time before joining MFP, but what got me excited to make a healthy change was to join a challenge I found in the challenge forum. It has been very motivating and I love interacting with other people who are in the same boat as I am.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The key is that we need to find new ways of dealing with these emotions. It really helps that you understand what your trigger is!

Now, what can you do about it?
    Volunteer jobs can be great for meeting new people and being useful.
    An active, social hobby, like dancing
    Less time consuming options include just having a list on hand: read a book, color a picture, write a letter, brush your teeth, do a crossword, take up knitting....

Finally, have you tried sugar in moderation, rather than trying to eliminate it?
  • JulieMeserve
    JulieMeserve Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I understand when your kids don't live near you and you miss them, and also trying to get back on track. Don't beat yourself up, just change one thing at a time and at your pace, then maybe the next week you can do another. Life is not a race, it is a journey and so is our weight loss. I too have along way to get to my goal, but am trying to do this one day at a time. If I slip up I just keep on going don't dwell on it. Since Mid January I have been gluten free and now it's a lot easier than when I just started. My joints don't hurt like they used to and I am also watching my carbs now too, Just started this week on that, But you see I am changing my lifestyle slowly and am so happy with the changes. I just started using MFP again this week after a long break. I think it will help me stay on track, I hope it will help you too as you make your way through your journey. :)
  • Goul22
    Goul22 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bonjomac wrote: »
    All of my children now will be living out of state......

My heart goes out to you.... My oldest son lives in Scotland with his wife and new baby. My first grand baby! I live in Canada. This distance is so challenging, isn't it? A big hug to you.

May I suggest you don't even think about how much you need to lose but just set yourself a weekly goal perhaps? Even a daily goal! That's what I'm doing. To be honest, I just started a diet again (to help with my blood sugars) and yes, I've set a weight goal in here but I just focus on the present day. I find it helps. Looks less "gigantic" this way. Any weight loss journey is draining. Takes a lot of energy! I find I'm stronger that way. I have more will power. It leaves less room to discouragement (my biggest enemy). And when I go to bed I think of my day and can smile. This is important! I can be happy about myself now.

Even if they live far away... You need to be healthy and strong so you can travel. Or when they come for a visit, they will find you healthy and beaming! :)

The very best to you!!!