Potatoes?

Options
So, I'm sure we've all heard we should avoid potatoes and other high carb foods. I've been avoiding potatoes, white bread, and the likes, as I've been trying to be healthier. I came home tonight to see my mom had made baked potatoes. I definitely ate an entire one... I know I could've held back a little, but I have a hard time saying no to my mom's cooking! Anyway, I guess I was wondering, was it inherently bad that I ate the whole potato? This probably seems silly to ask, I just want to know people's perspectives on just how bad potatoes are. Especially seeing that I've not had them for a while (and I only put cottage cheese on it, rather than the typical bacon, cheese, and sour cream!) I know it's foolish to worry about it AFTER I've already consumed it, I just want to have some forethought next time potatoes are on the menu.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    There is no inherent reason you should avoid a potato. Why on earth would there be?

Potatoes are not bad. They mean you no ill will. They contain calories and macronutrients like all other foods.

They're well tested. Mankind has been eating them for quite a while now.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes just not everyday. And if I do I make sure they fit into my calories.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i love potatoes and eat lots of them often

• Ketzalitzli2
    Ketzalitzli2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with having whatever you like to eat as long as it happens to also be in moderation. No worries.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are an almost perfect food, especially if you eat the skins too. Before the famine, Irish peasants were considered among the healthiest in Europe and many subsisted on potatoes and buttermilk.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm having baked potatoes for dinner tonight. They are filling have lots of good fiber, carbs. They are not high calorie if you don't make them that way. They don't naturally come with full fat cheese, bacon, sour cream, butter, etc. I eat mine with kosher salt, granulated garlic, black pepper, some fat free cheddar, a few bacon crumbles, curry ketchup, onion, or non-fat Greek yogurt.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Its the toppings that make them fat bombs. You did well.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I have potatoes with cottage cheese at dinner. I always pre log and make sure they fit my daily calorie goal
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have always been of the opinion that since potatoes are a naturally growing vegetable, they get the thumbs up.

Unless you have diabetes and have to monitor your carb intake strictly, there is no reason to avoid the mighty potato. It has vitamins and nutrients just like any other vegetable. If it fits within your calorie goals for the day, eat and enjoy nature's bounty.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are great. What I have been doing is pairing them with sweet potatoes. I always leave the skin on, and I do not eat them with toppings. It is a natural food. Moderation is the key.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    This is sort of stab in the dark.. or at least in a dimly lit room :) but I think people are generally advised to limit carbs because if you're eating a ton of carbs it's possible you're not leaving enough room for proteins and healthy fats. I might be way off there, so don't take that as fact. I have my carbs set to, I think, 45% or 50% and haven't had any trouble dropping fat. So yeah, I think potatoes are a perfectly good choice!
  • GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    Options
    There isn't anything wrong with them. Like everyone else has stated, as long as they fit you calories/macros then enjoy.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I avoided potatoes (bread, rice, etc) for quite a while and it did nothing for weight loss at all. It all had to do with how much I was eating, period.

The only thing I can think of to avoid white carbs is going LCHF or medical reasons. But of course there is that new news out recently that "starch" causes lung cancer, blah blah, blah.. and there is a lot of chatter about the facts and how folks feel about this latest news here in Health and Fitness debate forums.

I will say that the 1 baked potato I used to eat was about 2 or 3 servings worth in the past, now I just weight out a reasonable portion, but I do not avoid white carbs any more.

I love love potatoes, and I still eat them fried from time to time.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are perfectly nutritious foods. Fit them in your calorie goal and enjoy!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I had mashed potatoes with dinner tonight and they were delicious
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    There is no reason for a healthy person to avoid potatoes. There are delicious, have lots of nutrients and fiber if the skin is eaten with them, and they are very filling.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I had 13.5 oz of french fries yesterday with dinner because it fit my calories and macros. It was absolutely heaven.