Vegetarian toning up and building muscle

Options
Looking for other vegetarians on the same path as me. Healthy lifestyle building muscle and strength.

Replies

• Mommysarus
    Mommysarus Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm in the same boat as you, recently going back to a vegetarian based lifestyle. I'm looking to tone and build muscle as well, even though motivating is a bit hard to find sometimes. Would you line to be friends?
  • lisamagee273
    lisamagee273 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Heya. I've been vegetarian for 8 years now and i love it. I've got a good bit of motivation but sometimes finding the right foods to eat pre/post workout is difficult and getting protein in. Yeah I'd like that no problem.
  • eschme2
    eschme2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been vegetarian since the age of 10. Trying to lose weight and realizing that my carb heavy diet is not helping. Trying to find good protein heavy meals. I also don't eat cheese or eggs.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm a vegan bodybuider.

Protein isn't all that hard, there are plenty of protein rich plant based food, even more if you eat dairy.

It's really hard to build muscle in a caloric deficit, if you want to build you will most likely need to eat for it, which means eating maintenance or slightly over.

Carbs are not bad, and quite beneficial if you are lifting or otherwise working out... they'll give you plenty of energy, but proteins and fats are generally more important since protein is needed to build and repair tissue, and your body has a minimal level of fat that it needs for nutrient uptake and hormone production (among other things). Carbs can fill the rest of your diet once protein and fat goals are met with no detriment to overall health or body composition. That said, you can also eat low carb if you want to, but ideally, any WoE that you can stick to will be the most optimal.

Good luck, do you have a lifting routine that you are following?

*edited for clarity.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm a 57 year old female, and I've been an off-and-on vegetarian for the past 25 years. I'd like to be vegan but I can't tolerate soy, quinoa, hemp, lentils, or beans! I reached my weight goal this year (YAY!) but I need to work on strength and fitness. I also need to stop cheating on my diet before I gain it back again! Thanks for any advice and support!
  • lisamagee273
    lisamagee273 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replys. I find it hard to reach my macros most days for example yesterday I still had 90grams of carbs 78 grams of protein and 40grams of fat left at the end of my day. I have got a lifting program yes I've got a trainer in my gym so she has put together a certain program for me. Cardio is limited because she said i haven't got any weight to lose. And i know myself i need to eat to build muscle but i actually don't eat at alot. As I'm actually recovering from an eating disorder some days are harder than others but I've found a love for fitness and this is why I'm trying to make a new lifestyle.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    You'll want to work with your recovery team, doctors, dietitians, etc to provide you a calorie dense meal plan that meets your goals in a healthy and sustainable fashion.