Gaining instead of losing, what could I be doing wrong?

Options
For the past month I have been working out everyday for 40 minutes including warm up and cool down and for the past two weeks, excluding weekends, I've restricted my calorie intake to 1200. To my surprise when I weighed myself read that I had gained 10 pounds! Anyone else have an experience like this? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?

nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • HollyC111397
    HollyC111397 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No I haven't, I've only been using measuring cups. I guess I'll buy one and see if that changes things, thanks!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Try the food scale and see how it goes. Unfortunately, it's all just math. Something in your calories in vs calorie out equation isn't right.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? How are you calculating your burns?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Hard to believe you've gained 10 pounds. Are you sure some of that isn't water weight from TOM or excessive sodium from the day before?

Either way, yeah, get a food scale and weigh everything. Measuring cups are horribly inaccurate.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    many things i eat come out very differently when you measure by cup or tablespoon than when you weigh them. weighing is also helpful for products that are more than one serving for a single piece - some larger breads list a serving as half a slice and some freezer meals consider a single bowl 2 servings, but you can't go wrong if you weigh them.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Same scale? Same time of day as before? Why are you only weighing in once a month? I guess that's fine but that means you only know if you're doing this the correct way 12 times a year.

The flow chart above should fix most issues either way.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    For the past month I have been working out everyday for 40 minutes including warm up and cool down and for the past two weeks, excluding weekends, I've restricted my calorie intake to 1200. To my surprise when I weighed myself read that I had gained 10 pounds! Anyone else have an experience like this? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Now... are you at least making sure you're not going OVER calories? That could be your problem. 2 days a week of eating whatever you want can really hurt a diet... 10 pounds seems like a lot for a month though. Are you making sure you're accurately counting calories? Are you eating back what you've lost through workout? Because if you are you could have a problem --- MFP seems to overestimate calories lost. And you might so happen underestimating calories being consumed.

Losing weight is difficult. You know there is some sort of problem with your eating habits. Start weighing once a week, and tweak your calories as you lose/gain.
  • exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

Thank you! I've been looking for this video FOREVER!
  • HollyC111397
    Options
    I have no idea how to calculate burned calories, I just started working out so all of this is pretty new to me and yes ive been using the same scale, not at the same time though I didn't realize that made a difference. I should of mentioned I weigh in by weekly. Could the fact I'm breastfeeding could play a role in this? Thank you everyone for your responses

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to calculate burned calories, I just started working out so all of this is pretty new to me and yes ive been using the same scale, not at the same time though I didn't realize that made a difference. I should of mentioned I weigh in by weekly. Could the fact I'm breastfeeding could play a role in this? Thank you everyone for your responses

Your weight can fluctuate several pounds in one day due to hyration level and ingested food.

Its best to weigh in the morning before eating or drinking, but after using the bathroom.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    You're breastfeeding and only eating 1200 calories a day?
  • HollyC111397
    Options
    Five days of the week yes, I realise breastfeeding moms are recommended to consume no less than 1500 but i wasnt seeing results, I've continued to take my Prenatals as well as other vitamins so I'm not depriving her or myself of nutrients. So far we haven't had any issues with supply and she's certainly not bothered by it.
  • HollyC111397
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

Your weight can fluctuate several pounds in one day due to hyration level and ingested food.

Its best to weigh in the morning before eating or drinking, but after using the bathroom.

Wow I had no idea, thanks!