Cheat Meal

Options
Silly question. My husband wants to take me out to dinner tomorrow for passing a very important exam and getting a new job, and since we have little ones the only place around here to go that is family friendly is Applebees. Will one cheat meal ruin my whole week. I'm debating on going or not because I don't want to throw off everything.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    One will not hurt you. Just make up for it later.
    Applebees has wonderful salads with low or fat free dressings.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    It depends on your discipline.

I just went to Hometown Buffet for lunch with my family, the only place that my daughter would eat in peace. I ate happily and not a care in the world. I won't eat another thing for the next 24 hours! I have done this many times. It's like one step back, two steps forward. It's been great for my weight loss. I'm feeling super energetic now. :)
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get something thats the lowest in calories lol, and no fries just a side salad lol
  • tomreese2014
    tomreese2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    On those day I want to cheat, I have a very small meal or snack for lunch that way I can enjoy a 500-700 calorie dinner. It's been working for me. Just don't make it a habit. Make sure you are taking a multivitamin and mineral.
  • gl6h2
    gl6h2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you think you're satisfied with your progress in the past week then go for it.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat :)

It can be tough eating out when trying to eat at a deficit. But I can usually make it work just fine.

I eat lighter throughout the day and choose an entree that I know I can split in half and save for later. Pasta dishes and wraps reheat wonderfully in most cases.

This usually allows me to enjoy going out to eat without feeling guilty about "cheating."

~Lyssa
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your celebration and eat what you want. None of us got fat because we had a big meal on special occasions.

Just keep in mind that your cheat meal is more effective if you are focusing and knowing while you consume it.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends if you really want a "cheat" meal or are trying to make a meal with higher than normal calories fit into your daily calorie goal. Personally, I don't have "cheat" meals, but if I know I'll be going out for something special which entails extra calories, I'll stretch my meals out a bit and eat a little less during the day so I can save up 600-700 calories for that special dinner. This is not too hard for me since I usually eat 5 small meals a day, so I can skip two of those and still not starve myself. Instead of breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, I'll just take out the snacks. And then I'll end the day having had something super tasty and feeling satisfied that I didn't blow all my hard work by overindulging or thinking of it as a cheat day or meal/free for all.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I recently went out to eat. I looked up the menu and nutrition info beforehand and made it fit by eating a small lunch. I had to give away the baked potato and put some of the food in a Togo box, but I did get a glass of white wine:) it was super fun!
  • cdcjensen
    cdcjensen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Making peace with cheat meals and ENJOYING meals out with family/friends has been one of the most difficult aspects about my journey. It was true during my 150 lb weight loss, and it has remained true for the year and a half since I met my goal. But, I can tell you that when I give myself permission to enjoy my cheat meal and the corresponding time with family/friends, it is empowering. I think if you take your week in total - 7 days of calories - and not just focus on a single day, it works out fine. If you're within your total calorie limit for the week, regardless of ebbs and flows of the individual days for that particular week, you should stay on track. Applebees does post their nutrition facts on their website, so plan ahead and figure out what you'll eat. I find that also takes the stress out of the process because I go in the restaurant with a plan, not wide eyes.
  • KimmyJaneTD
    KimmyJaneTD Posts: 43 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Remember if you're aiming for a 2lbs a week weight loss.. you have 7000 calories to eat on top of your goal (weekly) to reach maintenance (3500 calories for 1lb/week and so on)... I highly doubt you would eat a 7000 calorie meal.
    Also remember this is a long term battle. Enjoy a meal in celebration and focus on staying in a deficit for the week as a whole. you may have to shave a few calories off all your other days. or take a few walks around the block. but it can be done.
    This journey is about balance. and enjoying life while getting fit. you shouldn't be fearing eating out to celebrate.
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    my personal trainer recommends ONE cheat meal a week, so I enjoy it but in moderation still. I won't have two pieces of dessert, just one. This weekend for Easter my cheat meal is Sunday, I will enjoy turkey, stuffing, buns, mashed potatoes AND pie, but I won't go back for seconds, especially not the carbs, maybe more protein and veggies. I still try to be good during my cheat meal without feeling deprived. If you want to have a burger go ahead, just have a salad with it instead of fries
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the dinner, eat in moderation, log the calories, continue as usual. Call it a celebration, and not a cheat meal.
  • caileag26
    caileag26 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Applebee's is one of my favorite places when it comes to staying on plan because they have a light menu where all the meals are under 600 calories. They list the calories for each meal in the description. They have the menu on line so you can choose ahead of time and plan accordingly for the rest of the day.
  • Linziyo
    Linziyo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    caileag26 wrote: »
    Applebee's is one of my favorite places when it comes to staying on plan because they have a light menu where all the meals are under 600 calories. They list the calories for each meal in the description. They have the menu on line so you can choose ahead of time and plan accordingly for the rest of the day.

I fully agree with this. While it may not be perfect, Applebee's has a great menu to help you stay within your calorie limit. If I was going there, I wouldn't classify it as a "cheat" meal- I would just follow my guidelines the best I could.