What time should I stop eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. It take about 3 hrs for your body to process the food in your stomach. You also burn calories while you sleep. Do you want to burn food in your stomach or stored fat? Over a short period of time this might not make a difference but over the long run it adds up. When i'm cutting I don't eat 3 hrs before bed. When trying to add muscle I eat right up to bed time.

You're body doesn't magically store everything as fat because you are asleep. Excess nutrients are stored as fat but if someone is in a deficit your metabolism doesn't just shut down. Yes, it slows, but no studies actually show any link between fat storage and eating before bedtime. It's fantastic if that works for some people to prevent overeating but there is no science to back up that claim.

I didn't say that. What I said was you still burn calories while sleeping...if you're stomach is empty the energy required to run your organs has to come from somewhere...fat stores.

The math on that doesn't add up. If you'd eat the same amount and the only difference is the time you are eating then you would have exactly the same BMR, fat burning, food digestion, all of that. The only difference is what burns when - not how much.
    Bingo!

At the end of the day, regardless of when you eat, the net fat loss will be the same assuming you maintain calories/macronutrients. If you eat most of your calories earlier in the day, more fat loss will occur later in the day. If you eat most of your calories later in the day, more fat loss will occur earlier in the day. Your body seriously does not care when you feed it outside of EXTREME circumstances which, I can almost guarantee, no one here will endure.

Ummm, if you eat most of your calories earlier (tapering your meals) you will burn off more of it with daily activity as opposed to eating a larger meal at the end of the day when you're less active...so yes it does matter. Unless you're working out at night, you want the smallest meal at the end of the day and at least 3 hrs before bed.
    Really, this is common sense...this is not that hard to understand. Walking / Daily activities increase HR and consumes more calories than does sleeping.

Except, if you're not overeating and tracking your calories, you're not necessarily worried about future burn with that food, later in the day. You're filling an empty tank.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Ummm, if you eat most of your calories earlier (tapering your meals) you will burn off more of it with daily activity as opposed to eating a larger meal at the end of the day when you're less active...so yes it does matter. Unless you're working out at night, you want the smallest meal at the end of the day and at least 3 hrs before bed.
    Really, this is common sense...this is not that hard to understand. Walking / Daily activities increase HR and consumes more calories than does sleeping.
    Let's make 2 things clear:

1) If your maintenance is 2,000 calories in a 24 hour span, then you will burn that amount in a 24 hour span.
    2) If you eat 1,500 calories in a 24 hour span, then you will be in a 500 calorie deficit.

Now explain to me how meal timing or tapering meals negates the fact that, regardless of when you eat, you will have burned 500 stored calories at some point during the day: be it earlier in the day or later in the day.

"Really, this is common sense...this is not that hard to understand."

Funny you say that considering you are utterly and completely wrong.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. It take about 3 hrs for your body to process the food in your stomach. You also burn calories while you sleep. Do you want to burn food in your stomach or stored fat? Over a short period of time this might not make a difference but over the long run it adds up. When i'm cutting I don't eat 3 hrs before bed. When trying to add muscle I eat right up to bed time.

You're body doesn't magically store everything as fat because you are asleep. Excess nutrients are stored as fat but if someone is in a deficit your metabolism doesn't just shut down. Yes, it slows, but no studies actually show any link between fat storage and eating before bedtime. It's fantastic if that works for some people to prevent overeating but there is no science to back up that claim.

I didn't say that. What I said was you still burn calories while sleeping...if you're stomach is empty the energy required to run your organs has to come from somewhere...fat stores.

The math on that doesn't add up. If you'd eat the same amount and the only difference is the time you are eating then you would have exactly the same BMR, fat burning, food digestion, all of that. The only difference is what burns when - not how much.
    Bingo!

At the end of the day, regardless of when you eat, the net fat loss will be the same assuming you maintain calories/macronutrients. If you eat most of your calories earlier in the day, more fat loss will occur later in the day. If you eat most of your calories later in the day, more fat loss will occur earlier in the day. Your body seriously does not care when you feed it outside of EXTREME circumstances which, I can almost guarantee, no one here will endure.

Except, if you're not overeating and tracking your calories, you're not necessarily worried about future burn with that food, later in the day. You're filling an empty tank.

I'm assuming we are talking about losing weight so a calorie deficit it what I'm thinking.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Bingo!

I'm assuming we are talking about losing weight so a calorie deficit it what I'm thinking.

Right, but if we've set a goal with myfitnesspal and don't go over that goal with our calories, the deficit is still there. We are filling up to the predesignated point that we've decided on.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    This topic is kind of a mixed bag, I've seen experts on both sides of the fence. The one item that does seem to be at general consensus is to limit your carb intake near bedtime.
  • Shellybelamour
    Options
    I'm with Laddyboy to an extent.

The body needs energy when you sleep. If you eat shortly before going to sleep, your body will utilize the food you just ate for that energy instead of the stored nutients/fat. I have read multiple studies saying some things are okay to eat before bed, and some things you should absolutly not eat right before bed (like carbs, sugar).

In essence, going to bed on an empty stomach causes your body to burn fat as a means of energy to keep your systems working throughout the night. As laddyboy said, this is probably not something that will give drastic changes...but it should certaintly be taken into consideration.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options

The body needs energy when you sleep. If you eat shortly before going to sleep, your body will utilize the food you just ate for that energy instead of the stored nutients/fat. I have read multiple studies saying some things are okay to eat before bed, and some things you should absolutly not eat right before bed (like carbs, sugar).

In essence, going to bed on an empty stomach causes your body to burn fat as a means of energy to keep your systems working throughout the night. As laddyboy said, this is probably not something that will give drastic changes...but it should certaintly be taken into consideration.
    Not true.

Caloric deficit is all that matters. The time you eat is irrelevant. Let me explain again:

If you eat most of your calories earlier in the day, you burn more calories from fat later in the day.
    If you eat most of your calories later in the day, you burn more calories from fat earlier in the day.

How is this concept so difficult to grasp?
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    R4z0r4Mm0 Posts: 131
    Options
    I used to think meals had to be spread out during the day - eating every 3 hours became a habit. Lost over 50lbs doing it this way.

This last few weeks, I've been eating my highest calories later in the day, 2-3 cheat meals a week, chocolates even before bed, fat loss has actually increased and muscle strength and mass is maintained. Exercise levels are consistent with the previous 50lbs. Results = 64lbs lost so far. Both ways work well for me - as long as the net calorie deficit is controlled.

I've read that once I get closer to my ideal weight and low body fat % - only then does meal timing and macronutrients timing make a real difference, and even then it's still quite minor. I'm at least 6 months away from that.

I'm not a diet snob - so I'm always open to new ways of eating as long as it's sustainable. Being open to new ways of losing fat actually led me to MFP - and has kept me from getting bored, I hate routine.

Lately I've been testing Leangains and Eat Stop Eat with much success.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Lol, so much broscience in this thread.

There is no such thing as a time when you should stop eating, you can eat whenever you want in a 24 hour period until your desired caloric intake is reached. I just don't recommend filling up on simple sugars before going to bed because it's wasted energy.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options

False.

Your body consumes polysaccharides of glucose (glycogen; short term energy stores in your liver) for energy while you sleep, not triglycerides... unless you're in starvation mode.
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Way to go peeps - how to confuse someone in one simple thread!! :laugh: I think the conclusion is that there is no right or wrong to this, only what works best for each individual - even calorie counting isn't an exact science, you just have to work out what's best for you and sometimes that just takes time! Good luck with your weight loss everyone. :smile:
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    When your at your calorie limit.

^^^this :)

It really doesn't matter. I eat an ice cream bar or fruit before bed almost every single night. It has never slowed my weight loss down ;)