Feel like the new kid at school...

Options
So I have started going back to the gym after many years of not working out. I find myself to be awkward in the gym. Kind of like a new kid at school during lunch looking for the right place to sit.
I prepared a routine to follow but when I got there I found I was so concerned with what people would think I only did half of the workouts in the routine. I didn't do the squats because I didn't want to be judged on what I looked like doing them as well as how light the weights would have been.
So lesson learned tonight....who cares what the hell anyone thinks. I have cheated myself out of results because I let the fear of what others think control me once again. So hear this friends. I will face this demon and I will win. I wish I could say never again but I can't. I can say never again with my eyes closed. I will own the fear of I let this happen again until I can say never again.
Stay strong and true out there.

Replies

• sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Good for you, it's all about the attitude!
  • moneillthin
    moneillthin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You got this! Jam your ear pods in your ears - put on your jam and crush it.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think this is a really common feeling. I remember years ago, before I put on weight, bringing my SIL who was visiting us to the gym with me. She was maybe 30-40 lbs. overweight and really wanted to get in shape. But she was so resistant about going to the gym, and was so worried about what she was wearing and that everyone was staring at her. I guarantee you no one cared what she was wearing and no one gave her a second glance. I couldn't believe she was so worried.

And yet...a couple of days ago, I went to the gym when it was especially crowded. I was in the free weights section, trying to get in my exercises and having to squeeze between people to find the right weights, and I could have sworn people were glaring at me and making me feel in the way and out of place. I didn't look as in-shape as most of the people in that section of the gym, and I found myself feeling self-conscious. I never have that feeling at the gym, but there it was. I was, like you, worried all of a sudden about how I looked doing certain exercises and that people would be judging me for being out of shape. I think it must correspond to when you are feeling low about yourself. Normally, I really feel great about doing something good for myself at the gym.

• lamar22374
    lamar22374 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I try to go when the least people are there, which is never seemingly. Stay strong.