Feel like quiting / not worth it

Options
hello everyone i have been deiting / gym / cardio on and off , but every time I just keep dreaming about food , I open the fridge and theres nothing I can eat , i honestly am dreaming about bread yess just normal bread , this got me thinking .. why im i doing this to myself ? starving all the time , dreaming about normal food ? pasta , rice , biscuits and more

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you not eating normal food?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    why don't you just eat your normal food whilst staying within your calorie limit. A modicum of willpower also helps.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    hello everyone i have been deiting / gym / cardio on and off , but every time I just keep dreaming about food , I open the fridge and theres nothing I can eat , i honestly am dreaming about bread yess just normal bread , this got me thinking .. why im i doing this to myself ? starving all the time , dreaming about normal food ? pasta , rice , biscuits and more

I would be asleep and wake half way up finding myself doing crunches in bed, leg work etc... I still wake up exercising I think it's because I love to do it and it's on my mind all the time.

Um, why are you starving? If you're eating enough for your body I'm not sure I understand why you're starving, no food in the fridge you can eat? Where does the food all go? Having food in the house you can eat is good, in fact it's safe. Do you live with others? So many questions, I'll let you respond to a few ppl and 'splain yourself. lol
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    First off: Don't diet/do gym on and off.
    Make lifestyle changes that fit how you WANT to live. That doesn't mean giving up bread, or going to the gym every day if that's not something that's sustainable for you. Plan to go shopping once a week and stock up on meal items that you can make meals out of- pre-weigh and pre-log them and put them in individual containers so that you always have food that's something that you want to eat ready when you get home.
    If you hate going to the gym, find some other form of exercise that you WANT to do. Don't force yourself to do what you hate or you won't stick with it. :)
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out the stuff you love. I wanted macaroni and cheese today so I was careful with how I ate during the day and for dinner I had my mac n cheese! And stayed within my calorie goal! I know from experience, if you cut out the foods you love, you'll almost certainly give up.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Pasta, bread, butter, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, ice cream, dessert, French fries and every food you love. This is the beauty of my fitness pal you can eat all of those foods when you count calories nothing is forbidden. Enjoy. It's not about denial it's about balance and enjoying all the food you love within your calorie allotment. Counting calories teaches you a lot about management it's like accounting. How many dollars you have how many calories you have to work with.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Eating%20Right_zps4gbrqnjd.png
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What weight loss target per week in MFP?
    Are you having 3 to 5 meals a day?
    It would help if you made your dairy open but only if you feel comfortable.
    Many years of excess won't come off overnight it takes time.
    Get into a routine with realistic aims- you'll surprise yourself and be proud of what you can achieve!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why don't you just eat your normal food whilst staying within your calorie limit. A modicum of willpower also helps.

This
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

That's just crazy enough to work
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't do what you are describing either!
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
  • yassinelmeniawy
    yassinelmeniawy Posts: 34 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you all guys for your amazing feedback , i honestly thought that for you to lose weight you had to be on a strict diet to get the best results , but now i will try to stay in my calorie range and eat what I want , Thank you all I really needed this advice
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie goal to restrictive? If you have less than 50 lbs to lose set your goal for 1 lb a week instead of 2 lbs a week. If you have less than 25 lbs to lose try setting it to .5 lb per week. With MFP you are supposed to eat at least some of the calories you earn from exercise. You should not be hungry all the time.
    Okay, I just looked at your diary. You do not have many days logged but what you do have logged shows you are not eating enough. You are not eating to your calorie goal nor are you eating any exercise calories. Start eating more. If you are having trouble reaching your goal try some foods off this list. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    Eat the food you like and fit it in your calorie goal. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. You can have a deficit and eat normal food- even bread, rice and potatoes. Moderation! Try to reach your goals for protein, fats, and fiber to feel more satisfied. I find pre-logging my food for the whole day helps me to be able to eat pretty much anything I want and meet my food goals. Give it a try.
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    It is all about the mindset. Thinking of this as a restrictive diet for a set amount of time is setting yourself up for failure. To do this right, and to maintain your results, takes an entire change in lifestyle. Looking at your profile photo, it looks like you had decent progress over the first 16 days. That is great! And you can use that photo to help motivate you when you start longing for something. But to think that something (bread, biscuits, pasta) are things you can't have is self-defeating. One of the most successful plans I ever did was called "Body For Life" by Bill Phillips. It combines nutrition with both resistance training and cardio, and the results can be amazing. One of his concepts is to stick to a very stringent eating plan 6 days per week, and eat anything you want on day 7. Yes, the first few weeks people overdo it, but after a while that "free" day becomes more of a day where you might eat a few more of your favorite items that you eat during the week, and perhaps a couple of things that aren't on the plan, like a donut, because you felt so bad, physically, the first few weeks of binge eating on day 7. I am not doing that plan any longer since it isn't, for me at least, something I can sustain long-term. But it might help you get yourself going. I wish you all the best.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    When I see your profile pic, and can't help but note that you took a "before and after" comparison after 16 days... I can't help but wonder if you could be a little impatient. That in combination with your comment of "dieting and doing cardio on and off" makes me think you struggle to stick with things unless you see immediate results.

The hard truth is this will take time and you won't see results unless you stick with it. Hopefully the realisation that you don't have to cut out whole food groups and you can eat the things you like within your calorie allowance, will help you stick with things a bit better. But it will still take months, not weeks.

Also... pick up some weights!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    bdgfn wrote: »
    ytaqzh3sq2x5.png

I like this :smile:
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Why are you not eating normal food? And, you're not starving. These people are starving:
    https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=787&q=starving+people&oq=starving+people&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1530.4937.0.5111.23.16.3.3.3.0.176.1723.9j7.16.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..2.18.1302.qO4SdD9cfSE
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Look at your before and after photos. I see a significant difference and you are doing an awesome job. Look at the difference!

In regards to food; I still eat everything I want, just in smaller portions and within my caloric allotment.

Keep at it! You're doing an awesome job. =)
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Eating%20Right_zps4gbrqnjd.png

I like you. :) And I saved this link.