What do I eat after the gym?

Options
Hey everyone! Ok so question... I go to the gym 5 days a week, and everyday I work out a different muscle group with high intensity of cardio too. After my workout I burn roughly 700-850cals. So my question is after the gym SOMETIMES I'm hungry, not starving and many times I am not. What do I eat? What do I drink? Should I even eat? My goal is to loose weight but mostly tone.
Please help. Thanks :)

Replies

• myvidaloka
    myvidaloka Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I normally drink a low carb protein shake after my work outs. Berries are also good. The key is to keep it healthy and snack sized, low carb, low fat. High protein for hunger satisfaction and potassium for hydration are good things to keep in mind.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have one or two scoops of my protein powder.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight you need to eat in a calorie deficit. You can eat whatever you like after the gym, just include protein. I dont drink my calories so no protein powder/shake for me. I eat real food after i get home from the gym. Usually tuna, or turkey breast with cheese and avocado wrap, or a salad or sandwich. I may make a mug cake with protein powder, or i make an egg white fluff, kind of like a meringue. Whatever you like.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My certified personal fitness trainer highly suggests having protein after a workout to repair muscle.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Anything you want doesn't have to be a protein shake. People drink protein shakes for the convenience. I have eaten eggs, chicken, fish or whatever was available at the time.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want, IIFYM.
  • GiGiJam80
    GiGiJam80 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, lean meats, berries, yogurt
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I usually have a couple of donuts
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    Whatever you want, IIFYM.

Yep, meal timing around exercise is not critical for the 99+% of us that don't have optimum nutrition and exercise plans.
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings after work. If I eat dinner then go to the gym I'll have a protein shake when I get home. If I don't eat dinner and go to the gym I will go to subway that is next door to my gym aka "home base" :D and get a turkey sub and apple slices. The protein shake or apple slices satisfy my sweet tooth I get before bed. I guess it depends on what you like and if it fits in your calorie goal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For regular people the entirety of what your eat over the course of the day is far more important than worrying over specific pre or post exercise foods or timing.

If you are doing endurance cardio or working at an elite level then it becomes worth worrying about.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Anything you like.

Meet your calorie and macronutritional goals over the day and you're golden.

As above, unless you're an ultra competitive athlete looking for the smallest of marginal gains then worrying about nutrition to that level is really just sweating the small stuff and not required.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Agree with the last two guys. But, try to give your body what it needs to recover: carbs, protein, nutrients, low fat.
  • tomreese2014
    tomreese2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If dropping weight is your goal then just take a protein shake. At the end of the day your goal is to have a calorie deficit.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    I usually have a couple of donuts

you...I like you
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    raindawg wrote: »
    I have one or two scoops of my protein powder.

Just what he said!

I have a protein shake before and after.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I make a healthy whole foods smoothie in my vitamix at night (plain yogurt, seeds, nuts, greens, piece of banana, berries, water) and grab it to go the next morning. I drink half pre gym for energy carbs and half after the gym for muscle repairing protein. It works.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Food. Whatever you want... :) easy enough?
  • kurzap
    kurzap Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I ususally grab a Luna Bar to get the protein after my workout.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I take a protein drink with me and drink it on the way home from the gym. That way if I stop at the grocery store on the way home, I'm not famished and tempted to buy items that wouldn't be helpful in losing weight. Like Oreos.