Tips for a girl beginning heavy weightlifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I can highly recommend SL.
    Don't waste money on a trainer - they're often crap anyway! Watch lots of form videos and get in the gym and practice - video yourself to check your own form.
    I was massively intimidated initially but once you get going, it's fine I promise! Just do it!
    I put it off for months and then my biggest regret was not starting earlier!
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This. So this.

Quick personal story. I fell in love with the gym near my work.
    I told the manager I wanted to get into SL5x5, but I needed some help. So, he set me up with one of the trainers, who "knows stronglifts".
    Yeah, about that.
    He's a nice guy, and he knows a lot about kickboxing. But... all I learnt from him was how to put the barbell on the squat rack (sort of) with the movable pins. He put me on tabata cardio... ok. I was put on the hamstring pully machine (I don't know what it's called)... and a bunch of other machines. Even though I specifically asked to learn SL5x5... nope, I'm too weak for that, and need to do these other exercises first before attempting anything else. Totally ignoring the fact I had just leg pressed 120kgs 10x. Yup, too weak (:P)
    Oh, and he doesn't correct people when the row with bad form - especially when he's training them, and it really irks me.
    Did I mention he's a nice guy, and he knows a lot about kickboxing. But after 2 sessions with him - I still wasn't doing what I wanted to do.

I spent months on Youtube - all the videos (Alan Thrall and Chrissie (Long polish name that I can't remember)...need a special shout out. See also The Buff Dudes, & the Art of Manliness.) Men's Fitness, and the bodybuilding.com website are also great. Followed the instructions - joined the group on here... and viola. I LOVE IT. I wish I could do it every day - instead of 3 days a week.

Anyway, the point is, don't be afraid to do it on your own.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    That you can do it. :-)

I also loved stronglifts over nrolfw becuase i could keep track of things so much easier. I lifted prior to this pregnancy and once my girls old enough / behaves enough I can't wait to get back into it.

I did it on my own. Started bar only and added weights as i went. The trainer at my small gym did pop in and was helpful to any questions and so were one or two of the guys who lifted as well. Don't be afraid to ask someone you see (obviously not when in a set lol ) most people are nice and were starting out new too at a point.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Use a progresive program (+1 for SL5x5 but ther eare other programs which you may want to investigate).

Tips:
    • Form! above all else, form.
    • You will need to eat, at least maintenance preferably above to progress past the initial neuromuscular adaptation phase and build muscle.
    • Consistency is important - just keep going. Find a program and a way of fueling that program and then just stick at it. If it is working, just keep doing it.
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Hope you dont mind stalking this page. I put a post up this morning and had 1 reply lol. So now ive seen this ive download the app mentioned too lol looking forward to trying this out