PMS Weight Gain

Options
Any suggestions or advice on how to not givin to pms craving or continue my workouts during PMS at least 1 week per month I eat like garbage and slack on my workouts it makes me so sad because I feel like for the rest of the month after I'm working hard taking off that weight I put on during then so frustrated: ( any help?

Replies

• KimmyJaneTD
    KimmyJaneTD Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Usually I drink a sweeter tasting diet soda. that is Usually enough! I also keep chocolate rice cakes in the house.
    When i'm craving something I will try to distract myself by taking a walk. or playing a game on my phone... just walk away from the pantry.
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I gain a pound or two every month, and then immediately lose it a week later. I think it's some kind of cyclical water weight or something, honestly.

I agree, find things you can use to treat yourself that aren't going to bust the budget, and try not to stress the scale until the next week when you see if it it's not just coming right back off.
  • sammyldale86
    sammyldale86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I aim for maintenance during the 2-3 days I have bad pms-related cravings. I don't lose but I don't really sabotage myself either, and I can make a pint of Ben & Jerry's work ;)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    ^^^this. Either increase your intake by a few hundred calories or eat at maintenance if things are ridiculous. This past cycle, I was able to ignore it b/c my hunger wasn't super terrible and my meals are frequent enough that I could I could hold on for an hour or two, but I refuse to be even more uncomfortable during my cycle. Luckily, I eat candy and ice cream almost nightly, so that's never a huge deal for me. But I craved Chinese food this cycle, and so I had some, but I split the container into 3 meals.
  • Linziyo
    Linziyo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm your stereotypical "I need chocolate now" kind of girl when it comes to PMS cravings. I heated up 1 cup of chocolate fairlife milk (2%) into my coffee this morning - seriously gives me that naughty mocha feel and helps me last through the day. Its so good. Otherwise, I store some small dark chocolate pieces for after dinner. Ta-da!
  • sammyldale86
    sammyldale86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All of these are great ideas! I should be getting mine soon here deff gunna try these ideas! THANKS!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    When my appetite spikes up premenstrually I switch to maintenance level calories for a few days and eat more of my normal foods. Sometimes I add a treat or two, but if I use PMS as an excuse to go nuts that leads to a downward spiral.

When I don't go over maintenance calories, the weight gain is just water weight, and comes off in a whoosh a week after I start.
  • Jen58473
    Jen58473 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about eating at maintenance when you need to. I'm trying that this month and so far it seems to be working.

As for workouts, use the old trick of telling yourself you'll just exercise for 5 minutes and can quit after that. The hardest part is getting started and usually you'll end up doing a decent workout. Skipping the occasional workout altogether can be a good thing, sometimes bodies just need a break.