Unmotivated

Options
Im 22 trying to loose 80 pounds, I am motivated some days but other days I just don't feel like it. I'm tired of being big I want to do it for my health and my family. I feel like a failure just this year I've tried like 20 times to loose weight but I get so unmotivated. I feel horrible and I'm tired of feeling like I am not worth anything because of my weight.

Replies

• deziray92
    deziray92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm on my way to losing 70lbs . Down 35 so far but still have a ways to go. Trust me everyday is a struggle for me. Lately I've been unmotivated but I'm still going! Just think how great you'll feel in a month or so! The goal is worth it! Keep up the hard work and the reward is amazing. Good luck!
  • trishfisher3
    trishfisher3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new to Community and found this group. I am compelled to comment although it is not usually my way. I am 53 and I had a very good friend tell me last week that she percieved me as having been "on a diet" all my life. There was no guile in her comment and she did not know how much her words stung me. I tell you this to say, don't let your life go the same way! Yes, PLAN - diet and exercise, and do your best to follow your plans, but then LET IT GO! Do not dwell in your mind on it - not on how well you do today, because tomorrow might not go the same - nor on how bad you've done because it does not serve you. DWELL INSTEAD on being content - being good to yourself and to others. Think on what makes you happy and whole. And get up every morning giving your best toward being your best and let go of the rest!! Life is too short not to.
  • jsmit17
    jsmit17 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I am 24 and trying to lose 50/60lbs! I have been up and down over the last few years, but am currently at my highest. Some days I have a lot of motivation but most days I let my food cravings get the best of me! I can definitely use some motivating people to help get me back on track!
    Feel free to add me!
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm confused how you're tired of being big but are not motivatiated to lose weight? I think you're comfortable and don't want it that bad, if ya did you'd be on your way. Sorry, this is reality, if u want it, do it
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Every time you feel yourself starting to lose motivation, remind yourself why you want this. It's hard to change and stick to a new lifestyle, but it's better to change now than wait even longer and let the bad habits become even harder to break.

I'm in the same boat as you. Ideally I'd like to lose 60-70 pounds, but I struggle a lot with staying motivated. It's like...Where I'm at now, I'm not so unhealthy that it's life threatening or so big that it makes daily things difficult. And I've been this size for quite a while, so I'm used to it. It's easy to not exercise or just eat whatever I want, because that's what I'm accustomed to. You just have to keep reminding yourself of all the reasons to lose the weight and get to the body you want :]
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    One step at a time. Instead of thinking of 80lbs, make a small 5lb goal. Once you lose that, resolve to lose another 5. This is basically how I did it. I never thought of it as the 100+ lbs I ended up losing. I thought of it more in small steps. Each time I met my little 5lb goals, it encouraged me to keep going until I had no more 5lbs to lose.

You sound a bit depressed, so may want to talk to a therapist. MFP is a lot of things, but it is no substitute for professional help.
  • Mirabelle_Out
    Mirabelle_Out Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I struggle too, as I know it will be hard and a lot of work. I recently joined a group called losing 55 pounds by September 1st. I'm hoping this will help with my motivation. We are shooting for 10 pounds per month
  • RainDrops930
    RainDrops930 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I felt overwhelmed with just how high my weight hat gotten & how much I had to lose. However, I found that taking it week-by-week really helped. Not focusing on how far I had to go, but focusing on how I could actually enjoy my journey. Finding fun, healthy recipes to make helped me to not feel deprived. Going to a movie, or for a long walk, or decorating my room were all things I did to keep me busy. All of the sudden, 3 months had passed, and I was so much healthier. Just take this day-by-day, and remember that any progress is progress, no matter how small. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    They say motivation is fleeting. I agree, it comes and goes. Sometimes you just have to go thru the motions until it becomes an everyday thing. Like brushing your teeth or going to work/school. Perhaps switch your focus to small (non scale) goals. Make it water one day or 10,000 steps or having 4 cups of vegetables each day, getting outside for a walk every morning or evening. Experimenting with healthier versions of your favorite meals. Focus on small habits instead of a full overhaul of your life.

Speaking from experience in my 20's and 30's I could easily drop 50 lbs (ok, not easily), but I did it drastically and I always gained it back. I could never maintain those strict guidelines of deprivation. Develop habits that you can maintain the rest of your life. And that's different for everyone. What works for me may not work for you.
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    One step at a time. Instead of thinking of 80lbs, make a small 5lb goal. Once you lose that, resolve to lose another 5. This is basically how I did it. I never thought of it as the 100+ lbs I ended up losing. I thought of it more in small steps. Each time I met my little 5lb goals, it encouraged me to keep going until I had no more 5lbs to lose.

THIS IS AN AWESOME APPROACH! Set small goals, track your progress and celebrate these achievements! Take one day at a time. Set a goal to workout 5 days in a row or to make healthy eating choices 3 days in a row or to drink enough water. Your goals don't have to all be related to the scale, which is only a snapshot of your weight at a point in time. Make it about you being happy and healthy!

Motivation comes and goes, you need to create and maintain healthy habits and that happens through repetition and consistency.

You can do this, for you!

I've been struggling with motivation and carving out time to be happy and healthy, especially after spending a couple of months wallowing in a pool of self pity and I don't care-itis. You are not alone in your struggles, even though what works for you may be different than what works for others, we can all support and encourage each other to reach our goals. Hang in there!

Wishing you continued success!