Looking for some Vegan help.

Options
I would love to have anyone as a friend. I would like though to meet some Vegans for advice and recipes. I was a Vegan for 9 months until last September when I had reconstructive surgery and they pushed the protein powder every 2 hours around the clock for 6 days. I had critically low blood calcium levels. Looking for ideas on variety and making wise choices.

Replies

• razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Have you read Crazy, Sexy, Diet by Kris Carr? It's an awesome vegan based book by someone battling cancer. She's very inspirational and says she's never felt better in her life. Best of luck!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I would love to have anyone as a friend. I would like though to meet some Vegans for advice and recipes. I was a Vegan for 9 months until last September when I had reconstructive surgery and they pushed the protein powder every 2 hours around the clock for 6 days. I had critically low blood calcium levels. Looking for ideas on variety and making wise choices.
    Feel free to check my diary. I'm vegetarian but eat a lot of vegan items. I also drink a vegan protein powder (soy free) in case you need it. I buy it from Whole Foods.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check my diary. I'm vegetarian but eat a lot of vegan items. I also drink a vegan protein powder (soy free) in case you need it. I buy it from Whole Foods.

Oooh, which protein powder do you use?
  • debsz28
    debsz28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only used the protein powder in the hospital and it wasn't bad. They told me it was Beneprotein sp? They said it was the protein version of Benefiber. I live in a more rural area and have never found it.
  • YogiGal7
    YogiGal7 Posts: 9
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE Crazy, Sexy, Diet! I am also a huge fan of enLIGHTend by Jessica Berger Gross and, of course, Skinny *****.
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    feel free to check out my food diary too. I am not quite vegetarian ( i eat poultry and fish, but not that often) but a LOT of my diet, expecially over the past two weeks has been vegan. tofu tofu tofu!! also, my OH is vegetarian but allergic to eggs and doesnt like milk, so he eats lots of linda mccartney vegetarian produce, drinks oat milk and uses egg replacement powder in baking. good luck :-) x
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    my dd16 is vegan and I have a number of food allergies, so we are always looking for healthy vegan recipes to try. I'm not sure if I would be that much help, but I will send you a friend request.
  • beauplr
    beauplr Posts: 11
    Options
    I have been eating a pretty much meat free diet for years and have recently started Joel Furhman's Eat to Live eating plan which is vegan. I have found four sources, early in my meat free life, which are my go-to places for recipes and ideas:

1) Any of Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbooks - right now I'm using a lot of recipes from Appetite for Reduction. A lot of the recipes fit the ETL eating plan with a wee bit of adjustment. I have all of her books and have not tried a recipe I didn't like. As a matter of fact I would really like to try my own version of "Julie & Julia" with Vegonomicon.

2) The blog Fat Free Vegan - Susan the author is actually following ETL right now and I love her recipes.

3) The blog Vegan Dad - great recipes and wonderful advice, especially if you have kids to feed. VeganDad's cutlet and seiten recipes are the best!

4) VegWeb.com - It takes some time to sort through the recipes and read the comments so I usually start with the recipes that have the most comments and highest ratings. I have catagories in my recipe box where I have designated recipes that fit my current eating plan.

I hope you find these helpful. I have, and I love to cook.
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian but often eat vegan - I recommend the "Appetite for `Reduction" book - lots of yummy, non-wimpy salads and lovely tofu recipes. It's a bit light on pictures, but other than that, a really good read, with an inspirational intro and generally fun "don't deprive yourself" tone!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Appetite-Reduction-Filling-Low-Fat-Recipes/dp/1600940498
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE Crazy, Sexy, Diet! I am also a huge fan of enLIGHTend by Jessica Berger Gross and, of course, Skinny *****.

This book changed my life! I just completed the 21 day adventure cleanse from it and I'm obsessed. It's been the best, most entertaining and helpful diet book I've ever read (and I've read a lot!) Kris Carr is awesome and the general guidelines she gives for changing your life are just amazing. I'm full vegetarian now and doing a "vegan-ish" approach until I can go full blown vegan (I'm giving myself till the end of the year for that. I'm so not done with cheese and ice cream just yet haha) I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to up their healthy factor. Also, the recipes in the book Vegan Yum Yum have made the transition so much easier- haven't found a bad one yet! :)
  • ritarampage
    Options
    I'm vegetarian but often eat vegan - I recommend the "Appetite for `Reduction" book - lots of yummy, non-wimpy salads and lovely tofu recipes. It's a bit light on pictures, but other than that, a really good read, with an inspirational intro and generally fun "don't deprive yourself" tone!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Appetite-Reduction-Filling-Low-Fat-Recipes/dp/1600940498

The author of that book has a great website:

http://www.theppk.com/

It's not all low calorie by any means (on the website), but if you're smart about portion control, the recipes are aaaaamazing.