Why am I losing so slowly?

Options
Hi All,
So I am averaging about 1/2 a pound every ten days, I am allowed 1560 cals a day based on the info I put in but last week I was lowered to 1280 yet I don't see a difference on the scale. Its becoming extremely frustrating. Has anyone else gone through this and knows what to do?

Replies

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your calories? Are you eyeballing and going by labels or weighing and measuring? Sounds like you are underestimating calories consumed
  • s_kelaris
    s_kelaris Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No, I actually have been measuring, have the cups out and everything . Lol
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting exercise in too! I started off eating as I normally did & walking 10,000 steps & still lost weight! (Because before I was only taking like 300 steps) Also consider what you are eating. Cut back on sugar & starches & processed food in general. I tried an elimination diet over the course of 3 weeks & slowly introduced things back in weighing myself daily. I learned a lot about how my body responds to different foods. Now I avoid gluten cause it makes me feel sluggish & bloat like crazy. Bananas make me burp! & I discovered my body does not like coffee at all! And water! Makes sure you're drinking lots of water!
  • sanfromny
    Options
    You have cups, do you have a scale too?
  • s_kelaris
    Options
    Yes , I am doing the gym 3 times a week and the water intake is about 3 or 4 liters a day. I havent always used the scale but I did start using it a few weeks ago. I must be doing something wrong but all the obvious things are done. Water, exercise, etc.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nah, the obvious things are setting an appropriate calorie goal, logging accurately (as in weigh everything, no measuring cups, and always check entries with package/USDA database), no cheating, and weighing yourself often enough (preferably daily). Calorie intake goal should be adjusted to your expenditure. What is your height, weight, age, sex?
  • sanfromny
    Options
    Nah, the obvious things are setting an appropriate calorie goal, logging accurately (as in weigh everything, no measuring cups, and always check entries with package/USDA database), no cheating, and weighing yourself often enough (preferably daily). Calorie intake goal should be adjusted to your expenditure. What is your height, weight, age, sex?

I agree with ^^^
    Have you tried entering your information into Scooby?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    We can't see your diary, so I'll tell you my go-to answer. Move more if you can. Take walks during a work break or at lunch, take the stairs, dance in the kitchen. Wear a pedometer or use an app that tracks your steps. If you have a desk job, this is even more important. Can you park your car further or walk a few extra blocks from the bus? Working out at the gym 3 times a week is great, but those bursts of movement during the day add up to more calories burned. And no, don't count this as exercise.

Also, are you eating enough fiber, vegetables and fruit? 1280 calories is not a whole lot (and a drastic cut from 1560) did you change your weekly weight loss goal? - adding in vegetables gives you more volume of food for very few calories. And you don't have to steam them or eat them raw. Adding in a little fat gives them so much more flavor. Roasting is my favorite. Plenty of ideas out there.

You also don't mention how long you've been at this. Change takes time. Good luck.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Because that is the rate you are eating at...
  • s_kelaris
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    We can't see your diary, so I'll tell you my go-to answer. Move more if you can. Take walks during a work break or at lunch, take the stairs, dance in the kitchen. Wear a pedometer or use an app that tracks your steps. If you have a desk job, this is even more important. Can you park your car further or walk a few extra blocks from the bus? Working out at the gym 3 times a week is great, but those bursts of movement during the day add up to more calories burned. And no, don't count this as exercise.

Also, are you eating enough fiber, vegetables and fruit? 1280 calories is not a whole lot (and a drastic cut from 1560) did you change your weekly weight loss goal? - adding in vegetables gives you more volume of food for very few calories. And you don't have to steam them or eat them raw. Adding in a little fat gives them so much more flavor. Roasting is my favorite. Plenty of ideas out there.

You also don't mention how long you've been at this. Change takes time. Good luck.

I changed my rate to 2 pounds a week, and thats the calories fitpal gave me. I'm wondering if that was wrong?
  • s_kelaris
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »

I agree with ^^^
    Have you tried entering your information into Scooby?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I just did this and it came to 1860 a day. why such a big difference?
  • kathykathy18
    kathykathy18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, 1. Eating between 1200/1500. 2. Cut way down on your complex carbs and sugar. 3. Drink 8/10 glasses of water daily. 4. Stop drinking alcohol. 5. Keep a food journal. If your doing all this you might consider having your thyroid checked. One last thing make sure your not taking in to much protein. Extra protein will be stored as fat. Women need 0.35 grams per pound. Remember weight loss is 80% diet 20% exercise. Keep the faith! :)
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Wait, you just started eating 1280 calories LAST WEEK? That is definitely not enough time to know how your body will respond to that calorie restriction, but I would venture to guess that if you give it a few more weeks, you will be losing more than 1/2 pound a week.

Be patient, keep logging, and trust the process!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I feel stuck I go to my spreadsheet with my weekly total intake, expenditure and deficits. I rely on MFP for the calories in and my Garmin for the calories out. These are estimates, but I do weigh all my food and my tracker has a heart rate monitor. That's how I found out why on one week that I thought I was eating basically the same as before I didn't lose: I had moved considerably less.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Are you only using measuring cup you need to use a digital scale and weigh everything that is solid and only use cups for liquid cups are not accurate