Lost 9 lbs in about 24 days - safe?

Options
My daily target is 1200 calories; realistically I average about 1300. I'm surprised to have lost 10 lbs in 24 days. Is this safe/typical? I imagine some was water weight, but still. . .

Replies

• jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There's no telling without more information, but I can tell you that I lost 10 pounds in my first 30 days using MFP and exercising, so it's not outside the realm of possibilities.
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs in my first 30days so dont be worried there is usually alot of water at the beggining! Dont panic if the rest doesnt come off as fast though! 1300 is probably reasonable! I dont know other stats so cant say too much but 1200 is the lower limit foe women so do t worry about that number :)
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sounds fine especially with some initial water weight. Just don't freak out when the number starts fluctuating up and down.
  • knittingbee928
    knittingbee928 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    OK! Thank you! If it matters, I'm 5'0 and was 113, target goal is 100 or so, my pre-surgery weight. I'm 35, female, no children, always been very thin. About 95 lbs in high school right up until my late 20's, now still small around the middle but my butt gets all the weight (especially after changing to a desk job and sitting all day).
  • itsbakertime
    itsbakertime Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the safety of such a goal greatly depends on your starting weight. If you are obese/overweight, then there likely wouldn't be any huge health risks from losing that much. That is about 2 2/3 lbs a week. It is doable.
  • maxxeckert
    maxxeckert Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's completely realistic. I dropped 8lbs my first week mainly consisting of waterweight.
  • James12315
    James12315 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You'll often find a lot of weight loss to begin with, especially during the first week as you'll lose a lot of water weight. I lost 9lb in week 1 which I'm assuming about 4-6lb of that was water weight. You're fine dw.
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You'll lose at least 5 pounds of water weight in the first week of a good diet.

Knowing this, when you reach your goal weight, don't panic when you start eating a normal maintenance diet again -- you will gain at least 5 pounds of water weight after you stop restricting calories. Doesn't mean you're getting fat again.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    caurinus wrote: »
    You'll lose at least 5 pounds of water weight in the first week of a good diet.

Knowing this, when you reach your goal weight, don't panic when you start eating a normal maintenance diet again -- you will gain at least 5 pounds of water weight after you stop restricting calories. Doesn't mean you're getting fat again.

I didn't have a big initial drop, but then I didn't make drastic changes to my diet. Mostly just ate less of what I was already eating.