High-protein options for people who don't like meat?

Options
karimarie90
karimarie90 Posts: 26 Member
Hi everyone!
I'm having a lot of problems getting my protein in. I'm not a vegetarian, but every time I eat meat it just tastes "off" to me, no matter where it comes from or who makes it. I'm also allergic to nuts...so other than eggs I feel like I have no options! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Beans, cottage cheese, yogurt, tofu, soy milk, quinoa, pumpkin seeds are some options.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    whey
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is the best...there are so many ways to use it. I usually make a casserole of some kind to eat for several days. Fish is a good option too...pretty sure Salmon has a lot of protein. Greek yogurt is also protein packed.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm not a meat fan myself. I eat a lot of eggs, add whey protein where I can. Eat the meats you can tolerate...meaning, I eat some meat even if I don't necessarily like it. I eat seafood when I can. Protein bars and chips. If you can do protein shakes, those will help as well. String cheese and no fat greek yogurt.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Seitan is a good plant based protein... but you've gotten plenty of good suggestions thus far above.
  • karimarie90
    Options
    Thank you everyone! There are a lot more options than I ever knew about. I'm obviously a newbie at this
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    In addition to the above...Greek yogurt, edemame noodles, seeds (sunflower, chia, hemp), Fairlife milk
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Oh! And I recently found Chick Pea pasta.
  • tkahline
    tkahline Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How does the chick pea pasta taste and where did you get it?
  • karimarie90
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thank you again!
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    tkahline wrote: »
    How does the chick pea pasta taste and where did you get it?

It tastes pretty good! I haven't had it by itself yet, but I used it in a vegetable soup that I made. I also add unflavored protein powder to the soup (1 scoop per cup of liquid). I got it at our local grocery store. H-E-B is a Texas store, but I would think you could fine it at a Whole Foods if your local store doesn't carry it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Here's a good (not exhaustive, but good) list of protein sources. It's broken up into categories, too.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Textured vegetable protein - a soy product.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Seitan is a good plant based protein... but you've gotten plenty of good suggestions thus far above.

For those who have celiac disease, be aware that seitan is pure gluten. I tried cooking with it once, and did not like it.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of lentils, red especially. Packed with fiber, and super versatile. I use the red ones in soups and the green ones in tacos, 'lentil loaf'. Super cheap too.
  • mellymoo872015
    mellymoo872015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Me too! Cottage cheese/eggs/Greek yoghurt/fish / toast topped with avacodo
    Spiced Chickpeas/fruit smoothie /olives
    Oatneal/apple/peanut butter/celery /unsweetened raisins/wholegrains/dates/cherries/apple sauce/pumpkin seeds/grapefruit/tuna/ mixed berries, Cheese,fruit salad

Hope this helps,
  • TheTagman
    TheTagman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter....Cheap, easy and tasty!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Tempeh (a soybean product), edamame, all types of beans/legumes (some people do better if they phase them in slowly rather than eating a big bunch suddenly - mostly a fiber issue). Beans can also be blended into sauces/"cream" soups as a way to thicken them, not just eaten plain. Nutritional yeast (look into how vegans use it as a flavoring/cheese-alternative).

You can get chickpea flour or soy flour & use it to replace part of the regular flour in recipes, if you like (try 1/8 of one of those, 7/8 of regular flour at first, then increase from there until there are problems with texture or with the baked thing holding together properly.)

Grains - there are ones that are better in protein than rice, and can be used similarly. Folks have mentioned quinoa, but there's also spelt, triticale, spelt, buckwheat, oats, amaranth. Also popcorn for snacks.

Cheeses, if you like those. Personally, I find the naturally somewhat lower-calorie cheeses tastier than the "lite" cheese - chevre, feta, cottage, farmers, etc. Also, parmesan is pretty protein-y and adds a good taste in smaller amounts, so is more calorie-efficient IMO than some other regular cheeses.

Are you allergic to both tree nuts and peanuts? (I know some people who are allergic to only one or the other). There are also seeds: Pumpkin (especially the naked ones, often called pepitas), sunflower, sesame, hemp, chia, etc. Like nuts, these are caloric, but useful in reasonable portions.

Look for bread products (crackers, breads, etc.) with relatively more protein, too. I like the Ezekiel breads/english muffins/tortillas, myself.

Edamame pasta (strangely chewy texture, but I like it in Asian-style preparations). The chickpea pasta (I buy Banza, also available online from Banza or Amazon), to me, tastes a little flatter than regular pasta, so it's tastiest with a flavorful sauce, IMO. The texture isn't bad, though.

Some veggies have some protein - broccoli, spinach, asparagus, green peas, more. It's usually not great-quality protein (not a complete set of amino acids), but if you mix them in your eating with other protein-y foods, it balances out somewhat.

Check out this thread: Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also... . It links to a great spreadsheet with lots of protein-foods on it. There are lots of meats at the top of the spreadsheet (it's kind of in protein-efficiency order), but keep scrolling and you'll find many non-meats as well.

Also, think about increasing your protein by choosing foods in all categories that each add a bit - those little bits add up over the course of a day - in addition to getting a "big" protein item in meals. That's how us veggies do it. (I'm getting about 100g protein/day without eating meat, though I do eat eggs/dairy).
  • karimarie90
    Options
    Thank you @AnnPT77 ! Awesome info to have. I can have peanuts/peanut butter, just not tree nuts (specifically almonds). I had a reaction to almonds so my doctor told me to cut out all of them, which sucks because I LOVE cashews. It's also hard because 99.9% of healthy recipes I find involve almond flour, which I can't have.
  • jettajane77
    jettajane77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Quark is similar to Greek yogurt but a little less "sour" and more protein. I buy elli quark from target in my area and they have some awesome flavors that I just add fruit too.