Counting calories in homemade..

Options
Hi there!!i love making homemade vegetable soups with spices and herbs. So filling and nutritious and I know I can eat a couple servings without much gilt Anywho!! How would I count the calories of a serving for example.. I normally make a huge or of it.. Cabbage, broth, touch of miso, sriracha, zucchini, cauliflower and such... Thanks!!

Replies

• harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Count all the calories of your ingredients before cooking. Divide by servings. But at the end of the day, it's really how many calories is in total for the food you make if you're going to consume it all.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder under the food tab on MFP. I just discovered this a few weeks ago (duh!) and it's fantastic. Takes out all of the guesswork.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    the way I do it:

weigh all my ingredients and use those to generate a recipe using the recipe builder.
    cook the dish
    Weigh the final dish.
    Edit the recipe to have as many servings as there are ounces in my dish. So a 30oz dish will have 30 servings.
    I then weight out however much I want to eat, and then however many ounces it is, is how many servings of the dish I'll record.

so 4.3oz of a dish is 4.3 servings.

It's a bit messy, but it gets the job done!
  • jessakittyis
    jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only eat homemade food and meal prep about 10-12 portions on Sundays so what I do is weigh all the ingredients individually prior to cooking, cook the food, then weigh the entire finished product and divide by the amount of servings I need for the week. It takes a little time but its the only way to be accurate.

So if I make a stir fry I weigh the meat, veg and sauces raw then cook it all together then dump the whole cooked dish in a bowl and weigh the total grams of the completed recipe when portion it out by grams.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    the way I do it:

weigh all my ingredients and use those to generate a recipe using the recipe builder.
    cook the dish
    Weigh the final dish.
    Edit the recipe to have as many servings as there are ounces in my dish. So a 30oz dish will have 30 servings.
    I then weight out however much I want to eat, and then however many ounces it is, is how many servings of the dish I'll record.

I don't think that's messy at all and is how most of us get it accomplished. :)
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder under the food tab on MFP. I just discovered this a few weeks ago (duh!) and it's fantastic. Takes out all of the guesswork.

I like the recipe builder, too. It could be a PITA if you're using a complicated recipe, but once it's in there, it's in there and you can just click on it the next time you make it.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    the way I do it:

cook the dish
    Weigh the final dish.

I don't think that's messy at all and is how most of us get it accomplished. :)

It's messy b/c my scale only goes up to 1kg/2.2lbs. It's like a warzone in my kitchen ;-)
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love the recipe builder on here and use it all the time.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks so much everyone. I had no idea about the recipe builder but I'm going to play with that now!! I probably will calculate everything and divide by portions too.. I don't have a good scale yet! Going out to find one this afternoon though!