Vegetarian protein

Options
Hello All,

I am relatively new to the community, dieting for approximately 3 weeks. I have about 70 pounds to lose forever never to meet again. I am a vegetarian of one year & lactose intolerant. Since dieting I use pea protein powder daily to get enough protein requirement. My question to other vegetarian is do you use protein powder daily, if not what do you eat daily to supplement the protein. I am concern that taking artificial protein daily might not be healthy over the long run.
I appreciate your comments.
Judy

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    My vegan friends make legumes a staple of their diets.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Vega protein powder (vanilla) is pretty tasty
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I supplement my protien with either Orgain Vegan or Garden of Life protien powder. Both are very good and come in a variety of flavours - though vanilla is my favourite for both.

To get protien through diet I eat a lot of nuts, legumes, and add flax and chia seeds to many recipes. Many people eat eggs for protien, but as I am violently allergic to both milk (whey) and eggs, I always have powder on hand in case I don't meet my protien goal.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I try to limit red meat to 3 oz./week, so plant protein is my primary source. I *love* hemp protein--fiber and protein combined, but it does taste like delicious sand, so you should use in something thick.
  • MisRka
    MisRka Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of eggs, cottage cheese, tofu, tempeh. Lentils and beans are good too. Check out which veggies have protein and work those into your diets everything adds up.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Use a good Whey Isolate instead. No lactose, and much higher biological value than pea protein. :)
    NOW SPORTS Natural Unflavored Whey Isolate is tops!
  • Judyojudy
    Judyojudy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses, I am also violently allergic to all milk & egg products. I sometimes use cottage cheese & suffer the consequences. I do eat nuts, legumes, flax, chia & hemp seeds but still need more protein. How long have you been taking protein powder & is it everyday

ps. Kshama, I still have kale in my backyard in the middle of Toronto winter how great is that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The protein in protein powders isn't artificial. It's just as real as other protein.

But if you want to avoid it, plant sources of protein include beans, grains, vegetables, seitan, tofu, tempeh, and nuts/seeds. You could meet your needs from these foods and never touch protein powder unless you chose to.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't find I need to supplement. I get plenty just eating a variety of foods. I make spinach bentos with baked tofu and Beans, beets, carrots, to take to work. I'm a huge fan of edamame either steamed or dry roasted (about 11g protein for 100 calories). Eat lots of lentils as well. I don't know if you can do Greek yogurt (I'm able too even though I don't react great to most dairy), and that's got a ton of protein too.

You say your violently allergic to dairy but then say you eat cottage cheese? I think you mean intolerance. A violent allergy indicates anaphylaxis which j hope you would fully avoid those foods...
  • Judyojudy
    Options
    Thanks Jane, is there anyone that don't use protein powder, meat or dairy products but still lose weight at a good rate, like 8-10pounds per month?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Judyojudy wrote: »
    Thanks Jane, is there anyone that don't use protein powder, meat or dairy products but still lose weight at a good rate, like 8-10pounds per month?

I don't eat meat or dairy and I only use protein powder occasionally (maybe 0-3 times a month?) and I lost weight at a steady pace when I was losing. 8-10 pounds is incredibly fast (unless your starting weight is high) so I didn't lose that much, but I met my goals almost every week. I lost over 40 pounds total and am comfortably maintaining that weight loss.

My protein came from vegetables, beans, tofu, and seitan. I sometimes had grains, tempeh, and nuts as well.

What is your starting weight? 8-10 pounds may be a realistic goal for you, but it may be too much.
  • Judyojudy
    Options
    When I use cottage cheese i get stomach pain, nauseous, gassy and sometimes vomit.
  • Judyojudy
    Options
    starting at 200
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for over 41 years. I strongly dislike fake meats, protein powders, bars, etc. - I prefer to get protein from Real Food (TM) as much as possible. To me, it's just tastier & more satisfying. I'm currently getting 100g/day on 1800 calories net (I'm heading into maintenance - it was probably closer to 80g/day when I was in a 2lb/week deficit) . . . though quite a chunk of that is eggs or dairy in my case, I admit.

What I think is key is trying to not only look at major protein sources to include in each meal, but also incorporate protein-containing foods in other categories - salads, snacks, veggies, grains, etc. Some of those ancillary sources may only contribute a few grams, but they add up over the course of the day in a surprising way. The small contributors (like veggies) also have lower protein quality (in terms of amino acid completeness), but this is partially mitigated by mixing your sources.

Major sources, for me:
    • Soy foods, like tempeh, edamame, dry-roasted soybeans, edamame/mung fettucine.
    • Beans & legumes of all types. Besides just eating them (as in refried beans or bean/pea soup), I put them in mixed soups, blend them to thicken "cream" soups or sauces, put them in salads, etc. There's also chickpea flour or soy flour that can replace some of the regular flour in baked goods (start with 1/8 bean flour, 7/8 regular, and go up from there as long as results are good). You can get chickpea pasta, which has much more protein than regular pasta. (To me, it tastes a little flatter, so I prefer it with strongly-flavored sauces.) I also like Indian puppodums for a snack (though they're salty - Sharwoods is my favorite brand). Crispy chickpeas are also a good snack - commercially available, or make your own. Freeze-dried snap peas are another snack option. Hummus is good.
    • Peanuts, peanut butter and PB2 peanut butter powder. I use the powder to make peanut sauce for the edamame pasta & veggies (mix it with soy sauce, brown rice vinegar, maybe a dash of toasted sesame oil, maybe hot sauce, can season with ginger and/or garlic, etc.)
    • Nuts of all types, especially walnuts (for the omega-3s). Reasonable portions, of course, since they're caloric. I put them in my oatmeal, put them in my car & gym bag in pre-portioned snack sizes, and more. Also good in salads.
    • Seeds, again in reasonable portions. I especially like shelled sunflower seeds blended into soups or sprinkled on top, and pepitas (hull-less pumpkin seeds) on salads. Tahini (sesame seed paste) can be used to make salad dressings, and it's a hummus ingredient. Consider things like hemp & chia, too.
    • Grains: There are ones that are better in protein than rice, and can be used similarly. Quinoa, spelt, triticale, spelt, buckwheat, oats, amaranth, and more. Also popcorn for snacks.
    • Some veggies have protein: broccoli, asparagus, green peas, spinach, and many others.

Check out this thread: Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also... . It links to a great spreadsheet with lots of protein-foods on it. There are lots of meats at the top of the spreadsheet (it's kind of in protein-efficiency order), but keep scrolling and you'll find many non-meats as well.

Clearly, I could go on & on. But I'll stop now. :wink:
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Are you vegetarian, or vegan?

We have vegetarians in our household and they love these protein heavy foods:

Eggs
    Beans, all sorts of beans. So yummy, so healthy.
    Whey powder in smoothies (probably out for you with the lactose intolerance, I don't know)
    Cheese (again, I think the ones with more protein are probably out for you, but not sure)
    Walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, peanut butter
    Tofu and veggie burgers

It all works out. Beans are the best of all, so versatile. Just had a lovely kick-*kitten* lentil salad today, 18grams of protein per cup.
  • Judyojudy
    Options
    Maybe I should say vegan. Ann I will also check the link & look at how to incorporate more natural sources. However I should also mention I exercise 6 day a week for 35-45min & I find the protein powder after exercise makes my body less tired for the next day.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can make "cheese" and creamy sauces from cashews. Soak cashews in water overnight. Drain. Blend (adding water as to how liquidy you want it). Done!

Depending on how you season it, it can be either sweet or savory. Lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast, etc. for savory; honey, maple syrup, etc. for sweet.
  • hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils are your best friend. I have been vegetarian all my life, never taken any artificial supplement. 2 cups of lentil and bean soup will give you enough protein.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    hiker583 wrote: »
    Beans and lentils are your best friend. I have been vegetarian all my life, never taken any artificial supplement. 2 cups of lentil and bean soup will give you enough protein.

Enough for what? Blanket statement is vague and not applicable to everyone.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't sweat it, so long as you are eating a "balanced" vegetarian diet.. one full of fruits, vegetables, nuts and beans then you should be getting more than enough protein without having to use supplements.