have not "lost" anything in months...

Options
well I really don't get whats going on with my weightloss.

I CANNOT seem to drop below 270. Everytime i get close to 270, somehow i rocket back up to close to 280!! I've stepped my workouts up HUGE and I am burning twice as many calories.

I am eating well, and definitely trying to stay in or around my calorie range. I have been doing more strength training and building my muscles....but i havn't dropped any actual weight in over 2 months.

completely frustrating.

my food log is empty, so unfortunately i can't ask you to look there. I havn't logged anything, but i have been keeping track of what im eating, and its around 1800-2000 calories a day. my BMR is over 3000 calories, and I burn anywhere from 600-1000 calories 3-4 days a week.

should i start eating more? i've seen that posted a few times.

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any cardio?? That's a good way to burn off some weight!
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    my works consist of

A: 2 mile bike ride to gym
    25 minutes of elliptical
    20 minutes of weights
    2 mile bike ride home

or

B. 10 minute bike warm up at gym
    25 minutes of elliptical
    20 minutes of weights

C. 10 minute bike warm up
    10 minutes elliptical
    10 minutes weights
    15 minutes elliptical
    15 minutes weights
    20 minutes elliptical
    20 minutes weights
    10 minute cool down.

so, LOTS of cardio.
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    That happened to me once. You may need to increase your calories by 200-300. I went about the same amount of time without seeing any weightloss and I upped my calories for about two weeks and started losing again. Its worth a try, but give it at least two weeks. If it doesn't work you could try something else...like zig-zagging your calories.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enogh , please read the links below

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • peggy1209
    peggy1209 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    start logging in your food diary and you will lose again

no, really

every time I plateau or start to creep up, it's because I've slacked off on logging, or counting things in my head, or not measuring my creamer . . . all that little stuff ADDS up
  • KatieLiz29
    KatieLiz29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think its all about when you eat and what your eating. Certain foods are meant to be natural fat burners and boost your metabolism. These foods will help keep burning fat even when your not working out.

I noticed when I mixed things up with my food & started eating different things that my weight gain sped up. Try changing your workout routine too.

Dont get discouraged...you can do it!
  • AmandaLenn86
    AmandaLenn86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, I really dont think you are eating enough calories throughout the day as a guy.
    Maybe bump up your calorie intake and slow down on the cardio for a week or two.. then it should shock your system and the weight can come off.. your doing a great job though :) way to stick to it!!!!
  • 311Phil
    Options
    yeah my food log has suffered because of a new job....since i started i've been sooooo busy! I'll try to get back to logging and see if that helps...

I am gaining good muscle, but im not losing any fat it seems...

trying to get this spare tire off my midsection!
  • 311Phil
    Options
    also when i have a great workout where i burn over 1000 calories, i find it REALLY difficult to eat all of those calories back...
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you're building a lot of muscle that will increase your weight,muscle weighs more than fat? Look in the mirror - if you're looking "fatter" then you need to keep logging nd dieting and it will eventually go away but if you're just measuring by your weight the muscle weight could be increasing while your fat decreases. Are you looking/feeling fitter? You can't judge entirely on weight
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    oh and also you don't need to eat all your exersize calories back, if you're not hungry don't force yourself to eat!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    LOG YOUR FOODS! When its right in front of you it makes a big difference. You need to eat real food and not depend on all the bars, shakes and other things. They are meant to compliment a nutritious diet not be the diet.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements?

I wasn't losing for weeks on end, but when I checked my measurements I was getting smaller...
  • hchartier
    hchartier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Track your food. Measure your food. I cannot stress this enough. There are so many things that you consume that you don't even realize how quickly your calories add up and can forget some things. Also, if you are a fan of diet soda, cut it out and drink water instead. Since I have started tracking my calories, I am truely amazed at how many calories I have added on to my diet, simply by not measuring or realizing how much of an impact it made on my total calories for the day. Try it for a week, and I guarantee you will see results and become much more aware of what actually is put in your body. Good luck!!
  • 311Phil
    Options
    havn't lost inches, though i can tell i have more tone/definition.

im not losing fat.

my main goal is to lose my "gut" and all this extra flab in my mid section/upper body/back.
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    Are you measuring your food or just eyeballing it? I notice on weeks that I don't see a loss that it's largely because I'm not accurately measuring portion size.
  • 311Phil
    Options
    i measure pretty much everything....

Guess i need to start tracking everything again...havn't really been able to since i don't have a "smart phone" anymore...

Not at a computer very often where i can track my food...
  • vmcbain
    vmcbain Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I went 6 months without "losing" and it sucked, but it can be slow going sometimes as your body gets back on track. You will lose fat on your arms neck and face first, and then your legs butt and belly last, so it takes patience. It sucks I KNOW, been there, but keep at it and it will improve!
  • 311Phil
    Options
    I went 6 months without "losing" and it sucked, but it can be slow going sometimes as your body gets back on track. You will lose fat on your arms neck and face first, and then your legs butt and belly last, so it takes patience. It sucks I KNOW, been there, but keep at it and it will improve!

well....i guess its saves the best loss for last huh??? my legs/arms and face have definitely lost....now i just gotta get this belly gone!!!!!
  • chiroGirl77
    Options
    Switch up your exercise routine. Possibly add another set of reps to each exercise. Your body learns how to adapt. It is called the principle of adaptation. In order to improve your strength, endurance and fitness, you have to progressively increase the frequency, intensity and time of your workouts (principle of overload).The principle of progression implies that there is an optimal level of overload that should be achieved, and an optimal time frame for this overload to occur. A gradual and systematic increase of the workload over a period of time will result in improvements in fitness without risk of injury. If overload occurs too slowly, improvement is unlikely, but overload that is increased too rapidly may result in injury or muscle damage.

If you were losing inches then I would think differently, since you are not you need to change your workout. It is recommended to change your workout every 4 weeks.

B.S. Health/ Physical Fitness
    M.S. Sport Science
    D.C. Doctor of Chiropractic..... soon. ;)