Something strange happened while running last night

Options
I have been working myself though c25k actually surpassing it a couple of weeks back, and have been adding a few minutes to my runs since. I'm up to about 40 minutes straight at 5.5mph (yes, on the dreadmill), but I haven't ever felt what I did last night.

It wasn't the "runner's high" because I've experienced that before. Instead, right around the 30 - 35 minute mark, it felt like I was just walking instead of jogging. It felt as though someone literally reached across to my machine, and turned the speed down to my normal walking/cooldown speed. I usually don't check the time/speed while I'm going, but the feeling was so strong, I had to look down to make sure that I was still going at the proper pace.

That feeling subsided after a few minutes, but it was really strange that for those few minutes, I felt like I was performing the most menial physical task.

Does this happen the more your body gets used to a certain pace? I know your heart rate slows down, or at least is harder to get up to a higher BPM with the same level of physical strain. I'm used to that, and have been keeping very close track of it, but I never expected to actually physically feel as though I was not exerting myself whatsoever, especially 30 minutes into it.

Am I going insane, or is this normal when your body gets more used to an activity?

Replies

• imogene912
    imogene912 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're getting in shape :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Not sure if what you experienced is perhaps breaking through the wall? I sometimes have a similar sensation, when it takes me about 5kms into a run to feel like I've finally broken through the wall and all of a sudden I feel like I'm speedy gonzales. During long runs this might happen more than once.
  • jeremydillon80
    jeremydillon80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sometime you can just get into a rhythm and your focus goes elsewhere. For me, when a song comes on that I really like I will forget about how tired I am or what is hurting and perform really well for the duration.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Been there done that. It's after the adaptation phase.
    The opposite is also happens: feeling like putting in maximal effort only to see pace at miserable levels.
    Don't ever be afraid to go faster. Distance (for the most part) matters more than time.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have always felt this way after the first 20ish or so minutes of a run. I thought everyone did. Now I wonder if I am just weird?
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Am I going insane?[/quote]

Yes.
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Now I wonder if I am just weird?

Confirmed.

Just kidding ;) . Sounds like a great problem to have, though! I hope I get there someday!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    imogene912 wrote: »

This and you're in the right frame of mind. Your perceived effort is less. Caffeine does this for me which is why I pick highly caffeinated gels to use on the back end of a long run. Some days in the right condition you're just distracted by things like a song, or perhaps it's the runner in front of you with the great glutes. Whatever it might be she's right. You won't get there without being in better shape so congrats on sticking with it and great job.

You won't feel this every day but I've mindlessly ran through 5 miles that went by in 5 seconds. I've also had the inverse were the last mile of a long run seemed to take days. Your mental game is half the battle. (The rest is red and blue lasers)
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Haha, thanks for the replies all.
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

This and you're in the right frame of mind. Your perceived effort is less. Caffeine does this for me which is why I pick highly caffeinated gels to use on the back end of a long run. Some days in the right condition you're just distracted by things like a song, or perhaps it's the runner in front of you with the great glutes. Whatever it might be she's right. You won't get there without being in better shape so congrats on sticking with it and great job.

You won't feel this every day but I've mindlessly ran through 5 miles that went by in 5 seconds. I've also had the inverse were the last mile of a long run seemed to take days. Your mental game is half the battle. (The rest is red and blue lasers)

Lol. If you only knew how much of an impact red, and blue lasers actually had on my life in my more adventurous years...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Pretty normal, and fun. I had a long run just recently where the last several miles were much faster splits than I'd ever run at any distance > 3 mi.

Then again, my run yesterday was a miserable slog and I ended up run/walk-ing it. Pretty much knew that going into it - I was still wiped from my long run into strong winds the day before.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think you should start increasing your pace. Your body is ready for more.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    When I first ran 3 miles straight, I got this weird feeling like it suddenly became effortless.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Yep. And keep doing it and you find you can run for many hours without stopping.

Next step - Go outside and really enjoy the experience.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It's normal.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me when I'm lap swimming.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This is how it's supposed to feel.

It usually takes me around 20 minutes till I get properly warmed up, even if I warm up, into a run. First 3-4 km are the hardest then it's smooth sailing until I hit the wall.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've found that for any type of distance cardio, whether running, swimming, cycling, moving heavy stuff long distances (military type), or anything else there is one very important and driving factor beyond the physical ability limits.

And that is your head. If your head is in the game, at some point the physical just starts to happen, and becomes more effortless. If you overthink it, it can become harder. If you hate it, it can become harder. If you just let your body do the things you already know your body can do and find your "happy place" in your mind, your body will probably do more than you thought it could.

And the more you can get your head into it, the more you can push and improve on what your body can do. Both will always matter, but the confidence level ramps up quickly once you have it in your head that it's a realistic goal and within reach.