Sore muscles

Veryana
Veryana Posts: 122 Member
How do you recover faster from exercises causing sore muscles? For me that pain starts around 1-2 days after exercises and continues 1-3 days so it's right when I want to go to gym or do some other exercises. But my problem comes with that usually I'm so sore I can't do stuff normally, right now I'm having that problem with my thighs so I can't even take longer steps without wincing. Stretching alone doesn't feel like it helps enough. So is there something I can do about that? :smiley:

Replies

• revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    If you don't stretch right after your workout, it could lead to sorer muscles. Try foam rolling them too. Honestly, when my muscles are bad I tend to still go to the gym and it actually helps me feel better (go light on that specific muscle group, I don't work them directly).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Regular, light movement works the best for me.

Maybe your training volume is too high, or you're letting too much time elapse between sessions? What is your exercise routine?
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    beer :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Start slow, light and build on it. This not only helps you avoid soreness but also may prevent getting hurt. The latter becomes more important as we get older. With weights I start at a low weight and add 10 pounds every other visit. You took a lot of time to get out of shape so don't be in a rush to get in shape. The main thing is to go often and build on each visit.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    Start slow, light and build on it. This not only helps you avoid soreness but also may prevent getting hurt. The latter becomes more important as we get older. With weights I start at a low weight and add 10 pounds every other visit. You took a lot of time to get out of shape so don't be in a rush to get in shape. The main thing is to go often and build on each visit.

Second this. It's important to not overwork them.
  • Veryana
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Maybe your training volume is too high, or you're letting too much time elapse between sessions? What is your exercise routine?

3 times a week in gym atm, trying to have 1 day between exercises as rest day. And walking to school which adds about 60 minutes of walking a day five days a week. Personal trainer said it's fine for a starter as long as I rest enough. This current thigh pain was from work in school, I had to stand for hours and do stuff I don't usually do so that's completely normal then. I'm mostly just having problems after doing something I haven't done before and soreness from that lasts too long and makes doing usual exercises harder so that's why I'm asking for tips to make it go away faster or get easier so I can do stuff normally :smile:
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »

So is 48 hours enough time to repair for a beginner just doing body weight excersizes? I have a lot of pain whenever I add extra repitions The aching seems to last three days. When I used to do these excersizes I seemed to recover somewhat and by the second day it helped to jump back in, it seemed to lessen the pain. Could I be babying myself and so not acheiving much? When I used to do them everyday, I didn't have pain.

I really don't know what to do. Thanks Veryana for posting the topic. I'll be following this.

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    First of all, I would recommend doing dynamic stretching/warm-ups before you work out, and then do static stretching afterwards. Keeps everything loose! That's what I have learned that I need to do or else I hurt all over for days...

But, once the pain has already set in, use a foam roller to work it out. Its the best way to get that lactic acid out and loosen up those muscles. It'll hurt as you do it, but you will feel SOOOOO much better when you are done!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Ok good. What is this foam roller and what is the difference between static and dynamic stretches?

I Yoga for many years and know that type of stretching.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Gamliela wrote: »
    So is 48 hours enough time to repair for a beginner just doing body weight excersizes? I have a lot of pain whenever I add extra repitions The aching seems to last three days. When I used to do these excersizes I seemed to recover somewhat and by the second day it helped to jump back in, it seemed to lessen the pain. Could I be babying myself and so not acheiving much? When I used to do them everyday, I didn't have pain.

Try increasing by fewer repetitions.. even if it's just one rep.
    I'd work a muscle every 2-3 days, and avoid going longer than 4 days, or your muscles may lose some of their adaptation to soreness. Avoid eccentric exercises, which is where the "negative" movement is prolonged. For example, descending very slowly on a squat produces more soreness than descending at a normal pace.

What seems to increase soreness for me is sitting for too long during the day. Keeping the limbs moving helps.
    Here's the latest research on what helps and what doesn't :+1:
    https://www.acsm.org/docs/brochures/delayed-onset-muscle-soreness-(doms).pdf
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Ok good. What is this foam roller and what is the difference between static and dynamic stretches?

I Yoga for many years and know that type of stretching.

Here's an example of a foam roller:

amazon.com/LuxFit-Premium-Density-Roller-Round/dp/B00KAEJ3VI/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1458870726&sr=1-4&keywords=foam+roller

As far as stretches, dynamic are the kind where you move and stretch, so like windmill stretches for your legs (touch your right hand to you left foot, left hand up in the air, then touch left hand to right foot, right hand in air, back and forth, back and forth, etc). Static stretches would be just bending over and touching your toes for 30 seconds without moving. Those are just examples...

That's just what I do, but feel free to find what works for you, but absolutely find some good stretches to do before and after. It makes all the difference in the world for me.

Good luck!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    1) Water
    2) Active "rest"
    3) NSAIDs (help with soreness, but slow down repair)
    4) Bromelain (takes a while to build up and take effect, but works almost too well)

For intense, sustained activity (very long ride or run) I'll take something like SportsLegs prior. Also works well but only when used seldomly.
  • Veryana
    Thanks for advices everyone! :blush:
  • michelletowle52
    michelletowle52 Posts: 33 Member
    Epsom salt bath soak for at least 20 minutes
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Water & replenishing lost minerals. Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium wich you could take in supplement form or foods high in such minerals, a good sleep and remaining lightly active through out the day.