Weight Loss after back surgery

I had back surgery at the end of May. I did not realize how much weight I had put on until I saw some pictures of myself. I am 34 and have had back trouble for 10 years. The last two years I could not do anything physical. I put on 30 additional pounds those two years.. I am now feeling better than I have in years. I lost 13 pounds the first month. It sounds like a lot but it was mostly water. I had so much water retention with all the medication I was on. I now seem to be stuck, not loosing any weight. I have increased my walking and use light weights. I still have so many limitation until my back completely fuses. Anyone have any suggestions? My calories intake is 1200 and I walk 30 to 90 minutes a day. I am also doing Pilates 20 minutes twice a week.

Replies

• sluker1
    sluker1 Posts: 7
    I had back surgery at the end of May. I did not realize how much weight I had put on until I saw some pictures of myself. I am 34 and have had back trouble for 10 years. The last two years I could not do anything physical. I put on 30 additional pounds those two years.. I am now feeling better than I have in years. I lost 13 pounds the first month. It sounds like a lot but it was mostly water. I had so much water retention with all the medication I was on. I now seem to be stuck, not loosing any weight. I have increased my walking and use light weights. I still have so many limitation until my back completely fuses. Anyone have any suggestions? My calories intake is 1200 and I walk 30 to 90 minutes a day. I am also doing Pilates 20 minutes twice a week.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    sluker1 ,

It sounds as though you have been through a lot. Just remember the camera puts on 10 pounds ;-)

Seriously, it's awesome that you are back out there trying to get well. If you have approval from your doctor, keep doing what you're doing, you will start to lose again. It's common to have slow periods of weight loss. I don't know what exercises would be good for you....have you tried a trainer for ideas, or physical therapist?

I do think that you should eat those extra calories that you need ABOVE the 1200 when you are exercising.

See: (here on MFP)
    Message Boards>Motivation & Support
    (subject) "totally frustrated"

There is good advice there, and lots of it.....read all the posts in that subject, even the old ones. Knowledge is power. Good luck to you, sluker.

CM
  • Be patient-Sluker your body has been through a lot. I had Knee surgery 15 months ago and shoulder surgury 9 months. I gained 15lbs and it took me a year to lose it. I finally got below where I was before the surgury. Your back is even more critical!!! I hope you are feeling stronger follow the physical therapist. It souds liek youa re doing the correct things and building some great habits. I am not a Dr but 1200 calories seems a little light especially during exercise days as cmriverside said. Could your body be in starvation mode??
  • Make sure you are taking in enough calories. Sometimes if you cut them too much your body goes into starvation mode and you no longer lose weight! That happened to me and the dietician suggested i up my calorie intake I have now lost 43 lbs!