So many different opinions

Options
I've been trying to research the answers to my questions very thoroughly, but still have run across so many opposing opinions and fact-based posts that I still find it hard to settle on a conclusion.

These are my questions.
1) Is it necessary to eat back exercise calories? If yes, eat back half? Eat back all? On any given day I consume at least 1200 calories, but according to MFP, my net is below that. I like to think I eat very health-consciously. I am not vegetarian but _really_ prefer to eat a mostly plant/grain/seafood based diet. Other meats do not generally appeal to me, so I definitely consume less protein, despite eating peanut butter, yogurt, hummus, almonds, cheeses, on any given day.

2) How often should I be lifting weights? I do cardio 6 days a week but know that I need to continue to build more muscle in order to ensure that I burn fat and not muscle later on when I do cardio. And if I lift weights one morning, how many days is enough time to rest before activating those muscle groups again?

3) Feel free to take a look at my Food Diary. I'm wondering, if I start eating just a little bit more (even though I am not hungry much and get full very quickly), might I start seeing better, more constant loss results?

ALL citations are greatly appreciated! I value your opinions, but any research you have found to back up your suggestions will also be very valuable, as you may have found something that I have not yet read.

Thanks everyone! And good luck with your own amazing goals.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary to eat back exercise calories but it does help. I generally eat half or all of mine depending on what I am doing that day exercise wise.

As far as lifting weights go, two to three days a week should be fine to start. I know some people that do 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weights. You want at least a day in between each so that your muscles have a chance to repair and grow. You never want to work the same group of muscles back to back. If you have never lifted before, I suggest seeing a trainer to help you get the proper form and get you introduced to all the weight machines.

I didn't look at your diary, but if you think that eating a bit more may help, then I'd try it and see what happens. If it hinders more then helps, then cut back a bit. It's all about playing around and what works best for your body.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    Yes it actually is important to eat back your calories but as said before you should only comsume about 1/2 to 1/4 of what you burnt just so you atleast stay close to your maintence calories. I personally think its important for everyone to lift weights goal depdant how you lift, lifting everyday is okay as long as you dont lift the same muscle groups as stated before. Normally good to take atleast one day off from everything except streaching you can never get enough streaching in.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to research the answers to my questions very thoroughly, but still have run across so many opposing opinions and fact-based posts that I still find it hard to settle on a conclusion.

These are my questions.
    1) Is it necessary to eat back exercise calories? If yes, eat back half? Eat back all? On any given day I consume at least 1200 calories, but according to MFP, my net is below that. I like to think I eat very health-consciously. I am not vegetarian but _really_ prefer to eat a mostly plant/grain/seafood based diet. Other meats do not generally appeal to me, so I definitely consume less protein, despite eating peanut butter, yogurt, hummus, almonds, cheeses, on any given day.

2) How often should I be lifting weights? I do cardio 6 days a week but know that I need to continue to build more muscle in order to ensure that I burn fat and not muscle later on when I do cardio. And if I lift weights one morning, how many days is enough time to rest before activating those muscle groups again?

3) Feel free to take a look at my Food Diary. I'm wondering, if I start eating just a little bit more (even though I am not hungry much and get full very quickly), might I start seeing better, more constant loss results?

ALL citations are greatly appreciated! I value your opinions, but any research you have found to back up your suggestions will also be very valuable, as you may have found something that I have not yet read.

1) To meet your goal you must eat them back as that is how the equation balances to get your weekly weight loss goal deficit, if you don't eat them your deficit is larger than your goal (the closer you are to your goal (<30lbs to go) the more important it is to eat them to ensure you are not burning muscle, instead of fat, to use as fuel for your workouts. And the 1200 minimum goal on MFP is Net (calories consumed - calories ingested) So if you eat 1500 and burn 300 your net is 1200 (1500-300)

2) You should lift weights no less than 2 days/week and no more than 6 days (be sure to work every muscle group at least once/week, but no more than twice per week per body part)

3) I would suggest since you only have about 10lbs to go that you change your weekly goal to 0.5lbs/week and to eat back your exercise calories. Otherwise you risk burning a high % of muscle along with your fat loss. If you goal is to lose fat, and not just weight, you should change your goals. It is easy to add more calories. Eat higher fat versions of what you are eating, all olive oil to soups and sauces, eat nut butters, nuts, seeds, dehydrated fruit. replace a glass of water with 1 glass of juice, add avocado to salads and sandwiches etc..
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes it actually is important to eat back your calories but as said before you should only comsume about 1/2 to 1/4 of what you burnt just so you atleast stay close to your maintence calories. I personally think its important for everyone to lift weights goal depdant how you lift, lifting everyday is okay as long as you dont lift the same muscle groups as stated before. Normally good to take atleast one day off from everything except streaching you can never get enough streaching in.

Why only half or 1/4. If you know (HRM) what you burn you should eat 100% of them as MFP already puts you in a deficit to lose your goal amount of weight without taking into account any exercise.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I cant see your food diary....
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

These are my questions.

1. If you can accurate account for the calories you burn, then you can eat them all back. If you are only relying on what MFP says you burned, then I would only eat back about half. This is my experience no citations

2. Lift weight 3-4 days per week with 48 hours rest between working the same muscle group(s) again. The method that I use that seems to work the most efficiently is full body 3 days per week. This eliminates the need to worry about body-part splits and you get more of a workout (3 full body workouts per week vs 1 or 2 on a split). Look at www.stronglifts.com

3. What @erickirb said, with the addition of you may want to get a bit more protein (which will also add some more calories). I would shoot for roughly 25-30% of your caloric intake. Depending on your exercise intensity reduce either carbs or fat to get more protein. Reduce carbs if your workouts are not real strenuous or long, reduce fat if they are.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options

Why only half or 1/4. If you know (HRM) what you burn you should eat 100% of them as MFP already puts you in a deficit to lose your goal amount of weight without taking into account any exercise.

With were I am personally at in single digit BF% 1/2 to 1/4 is what works for me , Even if MFP puts you a deficit how do you know that all there calorie calculations are correct? You should always listen to your body.