Going out with friends tonight-HELP!

Options
So I'm going out to Applebee's for half priced apps with some friends tonight and I'm kind of new to this whole diet thing. I want to have fun and go out, but I don't want my friends to alienate me for my food choices. How do I go about this situation?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Either you could eat at your maintenance calories for the day and log the best you can or not worry too much about calorie counting because it is only one night. One evening out for the rest of your life isn't going to make much of difference. Back to logging tomorrow and the next time this happens preplan. Eat light all day so you can eat more calories when go out .
  • abigailridler
    abigailridler Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Either you could eat at your maintenance calories for the day and log the best you can or not worry too much about calorie counting because it is only one night. One evening out for the rest of your life isn't going to make much of difference. Back to logging tomorrow and the next time this happens preplan. Eat light all day so you can eat more calories when go out .
    Thank you! It was an impromptu thing. I was planning on a nice grilled chicken salad but I've been trying to be more social
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Before you go, look up the calories for the apps you want to order so that you know about how much you can eat without having to look things up on your phone with your friends around.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Thank you! It was an impromptu thing. I was planning on a nice grilled chicken salad but I've been trying to be more social

Awesome!! You have the rest of your life to eat the right amount calories, one evening is not going to derail you. You have to look at the big picture. When you get to your goal, whatever that may be, you need to know how many calories you need to stabilize your weight. This is a life long endeavor. Have fun tonight!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So I'm going out to Applebee's for half priced apps with some friends tonight and I'm kind of new to this whole diet thing. I want to have fun and go out, but I don't want my friends to alienate me for my food choices. How do I go about this situation?

n1Bu4Gi.gif?noredirect

Why would your friends alienate you for what you choose to eat? I just find that bizarre...if one of my buddy's said something about what I was eating I'd probably pop 'em in the teeth...
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just fyi, Applebee's has a 600 calorie and under menu. Their salmon dish is pretty good.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just fyi, Applebee's has a 600 calorie and under menu. Their salmon dish is pretty good.

This (although none of the new light options appeal to me unfortunately so I haven't been in over a year).

Don't even look at the appetizers... ok the grilled chicken wontons are 510 calories but who knows how filling they are. All the rest is a calorie bomb...

http://www.applebees.com/~/media/docs/Applebees_Nutritional_Info.pdf
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Seriously. Just skips the apps and say you're in the mood for steak. Get the smaller sirloin with a baked potato (eat only half) and a vegetable side.

Who questions somebody wanting a steak? Haha
  • GiGiJam80
    GiGiJam80 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lmao! My EXACT thought!
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

n1Bu4Gi.gif?noredirect

Why would your friends alienate you for what you choose to eat? I just find that bizarre...if one of my buddy's said something about what I was eating I'd probably pop 'em in the teeth...

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I agree, skip the apps. They're high in calories and not filling. I've had the chicken wontons listed above and it was 4 pathetically unfilling things. Tasted good, but it was seriously lacking. Go with the lighter fare options. You can find the nutritional information on Applebee's website or even use the food database on Mfp app.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

This (although none of the new light options appeal to me unfortunately so I haven't been in over a year).

Don't even look at the appetizers... ok the grilled chicken wontons are 510 calories but who knows how filling they are. All the rest is a calorie bomb...

http://www.applebees.com/~/media/docs/Applebees_Nutritional_Info.pdf

~floating OT~

Now I remember why I haven't been to Applebees in nearly 5 years. Jeeze, the only things I would want to order have a boatload of calories. I have trouble ordering out things I can easily make at home like grilled chicken or steak and steamed veggies. Why would I pay a 60-100% markup for something I can do myself?
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Last time I had Applebees a few months ago I ate this crispy chicken thing that had like cheese and a brown gravy and onion strings on top of garlic mashed potatoes. I just ate half which was more than enough and it was delicious and fit my cals for the day.
  • abigailridler
    abigailridler Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding! I will keep all of these suggestions in my mind for next time. I finished my day only 40 calories over, but I have a two hour lacrosse practice to burn that off in the morning